View Poll Results: How did/do you put your infant down to sleep?
Tummy 41 25.47%
Back 100 62.11%
Side 42 26.09%
Other... 5 3.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: How did/does your infant sleep?

Side. Sleep=nursing for DS, so he was almost always on his side whether in bed at night or on the boppy for naps.

Advertisement

Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
oscarandbabys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

our oldest Isabel slept in an Amby bed till about 7-8 months. Before we got the bed she slept in our arms

our youngest was fine on his back and side BUT he still gets swaddled YUP at 8-9 months (is that weird? ) but only for naps. He seems to prefer that and then when hes down for the night he likes to be free. He's all over the place at night
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
I mostly put my son on his back, but then when he had awful reflux, we found that he slept better on his tummy. He then began to sleep on his side. And oh yeah, we co slept the whole time, which apparently increases the risk of SIDS.
This is actually not true. I can't tell if you were saying it with like an eyeroll or if you really meant it. This is not an attack on you, so please don't feel like it is, I just want to straighten this up.

First of all, if a child is co-sleeping in a SAFE environment, their risk of SIDS is actually DECREASED. The baby uses mommy's breathing to help regulate his/her own, thus encouraging him/her to breath properly, versus a baby who is sleeping alone. (Not putting down non-co sleepers!).

The criteria for safe co-sleeping.....
1.Parents are non-smokers (my husband is a smoker, but he never smokes in the house, and the baby doesn't sleep close to him).
2. The parents have not been drinking or taking sleeping pills or meds that would make them less likely to wake up if they were to roll onto the baby.
3.Mattress is firm (no pillow-tops or water beds), no fluffy bedding that the baby can get tangled up in, and no pillows near the baby's head.

Furthermore, I read an article (can't remember where) that actually said that upon doing autopsies of baby's who passed away from SIDS they found that a high percentage of them had abnormalities in their (and I'll probably spell this wrong) Abdula oblengata. This area of the brain controls breathing (among other things). Just thought that was interesting. Apparantly the study group was too small to have conclusive findings, but it's still interesting.

God bless!
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 02-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #24
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD has always slept on her back. I always put DS to sleep on his back but as soon as he could roll, he has slept on his side. Now he sleeps with his back to the head of the bed, curled up on his side.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #25
glupton
Registered Users
seller

I voted back because we always put DS to sleep on his back when he was little. Once he could roll over well, he decided how he wanted to sleep. Now that he's thisclose to being a year old, his preferred position is on his tummy with his legs tucked under him and his butt way up in the air. I love it!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Mockeh
Registered Users

There was research done that whatever position your baby 'naturally' goes into/wants to be in, is the most safest for them.

I've always put mine down on their backs, but they all rolled to their side/tummy, and when past the point of being able to go back and forth, I let them lay however they wanted.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

I voted tummy, but my DS2 had some health issues that made it difficult to breathe on him back so the doctors at Seattle Children's made a special tummy wedge with a sling on it. So it's almost more of an "other" situation I guess.
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #28
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I always put DD on her back. However, since she was 5 months old and figured out how to roll both ways she's slept on her tummy. The week between her learning how to roll from back to tummy and learning to roll tummy to back was somewhat hellish - she HATED being on her tummy until she figured out to roll off it, and she would roll onto her tummy in her sleep, and then wake up and freak out because she was on her tummy!

These days I can tell how tired she is when I go to put her down to sleep and she immediately rolls onto her tummy.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote