Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Mamas to night waking older babes/toddlers?

DS will be 1 on Monday (16th). He still wakes up 4 times a night to eat (he is FF) and that's with us co-sleeping. He used to sleep well but here lately he has been waking up in the middle of the night thinking it's playtime.

I guess I just need to know I'm not alone.
When do they start sleeping all night? WHEN?
I think the only thing that got me by last night was thinking "One day, I won't be able to get him out of bed with dynamite" so, I'm just trying to focus on getting to that point so I can get caught up on sleep.

So, everyone check in and tell me how old and how often your LO wakes. If you even have any suggestions I'm open to hear them.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
jenniferjunniper
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas to night waking older babes/toddlers?

I am up all night with each one of my children. They are 6,4 and 1!! My dd who is 1 wakes up at least twice a night to nurse. All of my babies do this, until I night wean them, which is a long drawn out process, so I just get up, and nurse her. My 4 yo is the worst. He wakes up so much some nights, it can be frustrating. But it will get better. I would really try to get rid of the bottle at night. 4 bottles is alot, IMO. Does he eat well during the day? Does he eat a good meal before bed? He may be hungry. It is just trial and error. GL.
jenniferjunniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

My DS didn't start regularly sleeping through the night until after his first birthday. I think what helped was him moving to his own room. We were living in a small house and his crib was next to our bed, although most nights he ended up in bed with us. We moved to a bigger house right before he turned 1. He still doesn't consistently sleep through the night, but most of the time he only wakes up once or twice - which is FAR preferable to waking up every 3 hours, which is what I dealt with for a year! I think you have a great attitude just concentrating on what a short period of time this is compared to your child's entire life, especially considering that when you're sleep deprived and hearing about every other child "sleeping through the night" (even though I think some of it is BS), it's hard to stay patient and keep things in perspective. I do miss his warm little body in bed with me and feeling him breathing next to me, but I don't miss being punched and kicked and kept up for 2 hours from 3-5 am because he's decided that it's time to play!
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

I feel for ya! DS is 19m and still wakes multiple times during the night. He is getting better about going back to sleep and not staying attached to the boob the whole night but it's still rough.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 3 1/2. For awhile when she was 2 1/2 she would sleep all the way through the night.....but, lately now she's waking about 2 times a night....sometimes because she wants a drink of water and others because her blankets fell off of her bed and she can't find them in the dark.

But, the kicker was two nights ago at 3 am I get the "mommy...." whine waking me up. I went in to see what she wanted and she says "I need a hug."....lol!
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 18 month old and sleeps in his own bed all night about 4-5 nights a week. He will wake up anywhere from 1-3 times per night when he does wake up. He goes through phases of sleeping all night and phases of multiple wakeups.

I would try to eliminate the nighttime bottles then he needs time to learn how to get himself back to sleep.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

my dd is just 2 y/o and she still wakes once or twice a night about 2-3 times a wk. Not to eat, but just b/c she needs some comforting for some reason. nightmares? I dunno. She sleeps in a twin bed in her own room (always had her own room) and wakes crying. It's been more often lately b/c she has started getting really upset at night when she cannot find her paci. She gets hysterical. I go in and she's sitting in bed, just wailing. I find her paci, hand it to her, the she wants to snuggle. I snuggle a bit then tell her we need to sleep, and tuck her back in, etc. I have a 5 m/o that wakes AT LEAST every 3 hrs, so when DD cuts into my measly 2.5 (or so - at a time, not total) hrs of sleep, it's really a bad day the next day.

ETA: I let her sleep with a non-leaking sippy of water. Since introducing it around 14 mos, her night wakings have been cut down.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-10-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 2.5 yo. She usually sleeps in her own bed in her own room. She sleeps through the night maybe a couple of times a month. Otherwise, she wakes up once or twice a night to run into our bed and nurse. Sometimes it's disruptive; other times I don't even wake up when she comes into the bed; I just find myself with this surprise toddler attached to my boob. I don't have any advice, really. I just try to get her to start the night in her own bed, and I figure she'll eventually start spending every night, all night in there, sooner or later.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 18 month old still wakes to eat once or twice most nights - it finally seems to be tapering off though, thankfully, and he'll even put himself back to sleep without nursing sometimes.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjunniper View Post
I am up all night with each one of my children. They are 6,4 and 1!! My dd who is 1 wakes up at least twice a night to nurse. All of my babies do this, until I night wean them, which is a long drawn out process, so I just get up, and nurse her. My 4 yo is the worst. He wakes up so much some nights, it can be frustrating. But it will get better. I would really try to get rid of the bottle at night. 4 bottles is alot, IMO. Does he eat well during the day? Does he eat a good meal before bed? He may be hungry. It is just trial and error. GL.
He eats alot during the day, and eats a decent dinner. He will no go back to bed without a bottle though. He screams like he is hungry.
I know I've read the Dr. Sears books and it says try the 'watering down' thing. Gradually water down all the bottles until its just water and I guess they won't bother waking up anymore. I just didn't see a need to do that until he turned 1 though.