Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
vsolly
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone have circ'ing complications?

My FIL is a urologist. He deals all the time with problems on both sides of the decision, but he says more often the problems are from not circ'ing and are more serious. Not trying to debate here as I see there are a lot of anti-circ advocates on here. Just putting the other side out there.

My point for the OP is - try not to feel guilty because you made your deision with love in your heart and either way could have ended up the same way, or worse, whether you circ'ed or not.

Another thing - not all circ's are done without anesthesia and pain meds. I think they all should be though...

Advertisement

Last edited by vsolly; 02-12-2009 at 08:51 AM.
vsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsolly View Post
My FIL is a urologist. He deals all the time with problems on both sides of the decision, but he says more often the problems are from not circ'ing and are more serious.

Another thing - not all circ's are done without anesthesia and pain meds.
I find it terribly disheartening that so many men in America have diseased foreskins. European countries have medically necessary circ rates of 1 in 16,000! American doctors give parents misinformation, tell them to forcibly retract the foreskin, which causes pain, scarring and can cause acquired phimosis - if parents/doctors would just leave boys' penises alone, all of these "problems" that American males experience would disappear.

Here in Canada, I know a LOT of intact boys and men and have NEVER met anyone here who's had to get circumcised for medical reasons. Infections can be treated with antibiotics. Tight foreskins can be treated with creams and stretching exercises (by the owner of the foreskin, down the road, of course). Only in the US do they grab that scalpel the first chance they have. It's big busine$$ for doctors.

As for no anaesthesia - studies have proven that upwards of 90% of circs in the US are done without adequate pain relief. EMLA cream is not approved for use on mucous membranes, nor does it provide adequate pain relief. The injectible anaesthetic is incredibly painful for babies to receive, and studies have now shown that it doesn't numb the entire penis, as there are so many nerves and they don't even fully understand how it all works yet. The male foreskin has 20,000 nerve endings (the male glans has only 4000 nerve endings, the female clitoris has 8000 nerve endings - for comparison).

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
I find it terribly disheartening that so many men in America have diseased foreskins. European countries have medically necessary circ rates of 1 in 16,000! American doctors give parents misinformation, tell them to forcibly retract the foreskin, which causes pain, scarring and can cause acquired phimosis - if parents/doctors would just leave boys' penises alone, all of these "problems" that American males experience would disappear.

Here in Canada, I know a LOT of intact boys and men and have NEVER met anyone here who's had to get circumcised for medical reasons. Infections can be treated with antibiotics. Tight foreskins can be treated with creams and stretching exercises (by the owner of the foreskin, down the road, of course). Only in the US do they grab that scalpel the first chance they have. It's big busine$$ for doctors.

As for no anaesthesia - studies have proven that upwards of 90% of circs in the US are done without adequate pain relief. EMLA cream is not approved for use on mucous membranes, nor does it provide adequate pain relief. The injectible anaesthetic is incredibly painful for babies to receive, and studies have now shown that it doesn't numb the entire penis, as there are so many nerves and they don't even fully understand how it all works yet. The male foreskin has 20,000 nerve endings (the male glans has only 4000 nerve endings, the female clitoris has 8000 nerve endings - for comparison).
I just want to clarify that my BIL and DH are Chinese. They lived in Hong Kong until age 19 and 18 respectively. So it was not some money hungry American doctor that grabbed a scalpel first chance he got. Maybe Chinese doctors are reckless and greedy too...
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post

you know, I was just thinking about that this morning. If my DS were to get an infection (he is intact) I know most doctors would push circumcision. But women get vaginal infections all the time, so maybe we should just start cutting off womens body parts because they get infected.... (the giggle is sarcasm)

Anyway OP, don't feel bad about circing your DS. It is pretty common in circed boys and I hope the plan to fix it is easy and painless for your DS.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
rik8144
Registered Users
seller

Doctors in the states are taught one thing about the foreskin...... cut.it.off. That's all they know.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for sharing your stories and the kind words. I did not want this to turn into a debate about if it's better to circ or not. We all have our opinions and are intitled to them. I obviously already have a heavy heart for having DS circ'd and to add this onto it makes it worse. I am now very well educated on the subject but, what's done is done. I was simply asking if anyone had gone through this or anything like it before. Again, thank you so much for the mamas who offered your kind and supportive words and stories.
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmama View Post
My son is intact, but I have a nephew who had meatal stenosis and a good friend's little boy is going to have to have surgery to fix his circ. It took a very long time to heal and it did damage inside somehow. I honestly don't know what happened with him, but it causes him pain *every* time he pees and the urologist they are now seeing says he may have problems later on in life with reproduction
I will be sure to talk to his dr. a little more in depth about possible risks. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am so sorry your friend's DS has to go through this!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
you know, I was just thinking about that this morning. If my DS were to get an infection (he is intact) I know most doctors would push circumcision. But women get vaginal infections all the time, so maybe we should just start cutting off womens body parts because they get infected.... (the giggle is sarcasm)
I said this to DH the other day. Even though what's done is done, I still want DH to be educated and enjoy a good debate with him.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post
Let me guess you are a staunch circ supporter huh?
Not at all! I'm totally against it and wish more moms were educated about it, but I just would never qualify 9-10 percent as very common.
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.thomas View Post
I said this to DH the other day. Even though what's done is done, I still want DH to be educated and enjoy a good debate with him.
You are right, whats done is done. I just hope your LO doesn't have any pain. You are doing the right thing mama.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote