Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have circ'ing complications?

9-10% is very common! heres an example= The way I see it, think of how deadly we have been taught smallpox is. Did you know the death rate of smallpox is 20%? Thats considered a disease that could wipe out our population.

Now, think of it this way.. of every 1000 circs, 100 will have meatal stenosis. Out of 1000 intact men, less than 1 will EVER have a complication. And im sorry, but I don't go by what urologists say, they ONLY see complications. Thats like saying an oncologist sees so much breast cancer coming caused by not removing breasts at birth

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
Not at all! I'm totally against it and wish more moms were educated about it, but I just would never qualify 9-10 percent as very common.
Really, that's 1 in 10, that seems pretty common. At least as far as post operative complications go. For any other surgery a person would have to be advised of it as a "common complication" when they signed waivers. Pre-eclampsia is considered a "common" pregnancy concern and it only effects roughly 10% of pregnant women. The death rate for measels pre vaccine was .014%, and people tell me all the time how "common" deaths from measels are. So if .014% is common it seems 9-10% is a down right epidemic.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

*hugs* Courtney. I am a convert to anti-circ too. Riley is circ'd and his has had no complications so far, and I am praying we don't, however his looks VERY tight, there isn't much room to grow and the circ scar goes down very far down the shaft of his penis...I pray daily that I have not caused him damage. I am so sorry you've had to go through this, I feel like the guilt is something that I live with daily

You know better and do better *hugs*
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #24
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

The only complication we have had *so far* is that the doc did not take enough foreskin off, so DS looks somewhere in the middle of a 'normal' circ'd male and a 'normal' intact male. His old doctors wanted me to have him re-circ'd after he turned one, but after doing research and asking lot of questions, I discovered that at least for now, there were no negative or medical issues to justify the re-circ. It would have been for purely cosmetic reasons, so I declined. We do have to keep an eye on it though to make sure no problems arise. It is definitely hard, especially when you have personal issues over having your son circ'd in the first place (which I have a lot of.)

Are you having the procedure done by a pediatric urologist? When the docs talked to me about getting DS re-circ'd, the only way I would even consider it was if they had a professional who specialized in children perform the procedure.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #25
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
My DH had meatal stenosis and had surgery to enlarge his urethral opening when he was 14. It's definitely something that can get worse with time, and if they are able to treat it as a simple office procedure, then I would get it done now, as my DH had to be put under for it and said it was horrible.

I am so sorry that you and your son are dealing with this

My DH had his repair at about 4yo. He still remembers it very negatively too.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #26
EarthMum
Registered Users
Formerly: Fallenangell44

I am sorry he has to go through that.
Do not blame yourself.
My daughter had to be 'opened more'. It took us and doctors a year to figure out why she would wake up every 15 minutes and would constantly arch and cry. Came to find out she was 'dripping', and that is all she could do. It hurt her because of the pressure. I blamed myself so much for not figuring it out sooner. I felt awful for putting her though that for almost a year!
It happens sometimes.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP--
A good friend of mine just had a similar procedure done on her 5yr old. He peed at a right angle. She said the urologist used the EMLA cream and she and her DH distracted him while the doctor fixed it. It took like 1 minute. He did well and recovered quickly.

I have 3 circ'd boys with no problems and 1 uncirced one.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was not going to get my ds circ'ed. But then it became medically needed. When he was born he was an L shape instead of straight. They left him intact because they could use that skin to hide where they would have to cut in later. So just on Jan 16th he went in and got his cordee repair. Now he looks like a circ'ed boy. I will say I will not get baby #2 circ'ed unless it is for something medical again. My sister's son is circ'ed and they ended up having to pull it back repeatedly at home and in the doc office cause it kept trying to close over the head.

I'm sorry your son is having this problem. I know it's no fun thinking about your child having to have something done like this. I hope things work out and he heals well.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #29
mommyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No advice, just wanted to offer hugs.

**PLZ EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED ME!**
mommyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
Not at all! I'm totally against it and wish more moms were educated about it, but I just would never qualify 9-10 percent as very common.
9 to 10% may not seem like a huge percentage, but if you look at it as 1 in every 9 to 10 people and it seems a little more common IMO

OP - I am sorry you are going through and I hope it gets resolved easily and that everything goes smooth