Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
~LiLaC~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Moms of 15 mo olds (and older).....

How long does it take your LO to warm up to new people? 5 min? 15 min? more? Does it make a difference if you are in your home or in a new place?

DS is pretty shy and sometimes he warms up quickly, but other times it can take him a while to feel comfortable enough to leave my side when new people are in the room. I only have his cousins to compare to and they all seem to have been the same way when they were his age.

I'm curious because I was told one thing by my pedi (who I'm inclined to believe) and another thing by my son's OT and I would just like to know what your experience has been. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
faithhopeluv777
Registered Users

Re: Moms of 15 mo olds (and older).....

DD is 21 months, and she's shy for a few minutes if it's someone that she knows but hasn't seen in a while. If it's someone she doesn't really know, she may not warm up. We are taking a class at the community center, and it's 45 minutes. After about 30 minutes or so, she may warm up to the children, but it will probably take a couple of classes before she will warm up to any adults. She won't cling to me all the time, but she will tend to play by herself. But I think the size of the group has something to do with it as well. We had a babysitter that she had never met a couple months ago, and within about 5 minutes, dd was ready for us to leave so she could play with the sitter.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My ds definitely needs some time to warm up to other adults that does not know, I think it's perfectly normal for that age.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids at that age needed to know people for months are more before they would do anything but hide. I have very shy children.

The 15 month old I watch that has been passed around since birth knows no strangers.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
amym107
Registered Users
seller

Raylin is 15 months, and she can be painfully shy, especially if she isn't at home. Lately, she has been getting much better about not being so clingy to me. She is starting to get more social, and even "daring" for her.
amym107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
~LiLaC~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, so far the consensus seems that it is somewhat normal to be at least a little shy at this age.

DS's pedi said just yesterday how the shyness is normal and he would expect that at 15 months, although DS should show signs of outgrowing it soon. DS's OT told me this morning that I was completely abnormal that it takes him so long to warm up to her (20min or so) I really think its because he doesn't really like HER (could be because he is feeding off of my negativity towards her, although I am always polite to her in person) and doesn't like being confined in the little room. It doesn't normally take him that long to warm up to new people, and it takes even less time if we are at home in a familiar place.

She really attacked me about it this morning and I am still pretty upset. I doubt we will be seeing her again since we have already had other issues with her wanting me to wean...

Thanks for your replies!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 4.5yo and still takes time to warm up to people. If it's in a home setting (like at our house or someone else's house with toys) she warms up in an hour or so. She still hates being around a ped, it took her several visits to warm up to her chiro. My DS is much more daring, he'll walk up to people in a home setting. But, if someone tries to pick him up, he freaks out. I've got some shy ones.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I think it depends on the child's personality and also on how often they've been in those new situations. My oldest never had any problem warming up to anyone anywhere anytime (except when she was tired). My son didn't have too much trouble -- just the usual being shy. But my youngest, who has been with me more (I worked part time with the older two) has a harder time warming up to people. If we are at home it's not so bad, but out in public, it's harder.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote