View Poll Results: What do you think? Allergic to BM possible?
NO WAY! 106 54.92%
YES- I have heard of that. 63 32.64%
I dont know...? MAybe maybe not? 24 12.44%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #21
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Re: Ever heard of a baby being allergic to BM?

I have heeard Docs that h ave told some Moms their babies are allergic to the proteins in BM, but basically, it's a load of crap.

Diet changes can be made so a Mom can BF. It's not easy, but it can be done

Advertisement

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #22
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
If a baby has PKU, they would have to be on special formula. So yes, they can be allergic to BM if they have PKU. However, most people who say that don't have children with PKU, they just don't wanna take the time to figure out what it is that THEY're eating that's bothering their child.
Actually, it's not they would be allergic to the BM, but the mother would have to supplement with a special formula to make sure the baby was getting what it needed in order for the body to do what it cannot naturally due to the PKU.

Here is an article from the LLL site.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSepOct98p153.html
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #23
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We found out my littlest ds, Sammy, is allergic to something I put in my coffee. He kept getting these awful rashes so I eliminated things and slowley added stuff back (coffee was one of the firsts to come back lol) and that night he had an awful rash. So no more coffee for this momma (well until he is no longer BFing) What his GI doctor said was that babies are more likley to be allergic to something the mom is eating not the BM itself. There is a very rare chance that a child can be allergic to BM according to my ds GI doctor and his Pedi but it is so rare. They can test her dc's bowel movement to find out if he is allergic to BM or if it is cows milk allergy. HTH
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #24
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. What the other mama's have said. Very rare to be allergic to breastmilk itself but it does happen. Much more common for the baby to have an allergy to something the mom is ingesting. Both of my kids have had sensitivities to something in my diet (my DD had issues with seafood when she was little. DS had issues with dairy. He still has issues with dairy going direct to him but is fine with me having it now.).
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #25
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted yes b/c I too have a friend who's DS was allergic to her BM. He ended up on a super expensive Rx formula after they did an elimination diet and even when she was only eating their approved BFing friendly foods he was still having bloody stools, horrible colic and projectile vomiting. The Rx formula worked within 48hrs.

I do agree that the majority of babies are more likely allergic to something the mom is eating. My youngest DS has a milk protein allergy and had horrible eczema if I drank milk, ate ice cream, cheese or yogurt. Some things were ok in small amounts IN foods, like a casserole with cheese in it, but he reacted quickly if I had straight dairy.

I was also told by a dr that you can develop an allergy to something that you weren't allergic to before and it can happen at any time with ANYTHING. Supposedly a friend of a friend is allergic to ice, someone's DC is allergic to red food dye... I would never say "100% no way" about ANY allergies!

Last edited by TwinKristi; 11-27-2006 at 06:26 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #26
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
I don't think a baby could have an allergy to bm, but definately something in it that the mother is eating. For example, my ped had me cut all dairy out of my diet for a month to see if Logan's reflux got any better. He thought he may be lactose intolerante.
Your ped was mixing up his terms. Cutting all dairy out of your diet would eliminate the milk PROTEIN which many babies (including my DS!) are sensitive to. But the milk SUGAR is lactose and that is found in breastmilk as well as cow milk! You can't eliminate lactose from your bm.

In addition to PKU, there are some babies (again, very very rare) who have true lactose intolerance (this is different from what some adults have and is very serious in the kids i believe) and have to get a special lactose-free formula.

Otherwise, everyone posting is correct that allergy to breastmilk isn't really possible - but in past years (and even still today ) mothers are given that incorrect information.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #27
twinmomma+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure about being allergic to the actual BM- but my LO is allergic to dairy and soy and it is proven by a lower GI scope - so like all the past PP say!! just my
twinmomma+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #28
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Just read a few of the comments and there was enough there to make me feel sick. I'm not lazy or selfish, my son has severe allergies and after 3 hospitalizations by the age of 5wks old I was told by the neonatologist that he was in fact allergic to my milk and that all the elimation of things in my diet wouldn't help. The doctors point has been proven - he is almost 20 months old and cannot tolerate ANY solid foods, he is on an enteral amino acid based formula.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #29
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
Actually, it's not they would be allergic to the BM, but the mother would have to supplement with a special formula to make sure the baby was getting what it needed in order for the body to do what it cannot naturally due to the PKU.

Here is an article from the LLL site.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSepOct98p153.html
Thank you for the link. Very good to know!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #30
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Not allergic to BM, but allergic to something mama is eating that is passing into BM. Try the elimination diet