Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Would you be prepared if DH died suddenly?

Yes, we have savings and life insurance for everyone. DH even stays well ahead of our bills. Although he pays them all every month, I know how to do so myself if needed. We also have family members that would be more than willing to help out, even if it means moving in etc. Id be able to get a job, take more classes, whatever it takes to get us by and be on our own.

Advertisement

mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #42
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I guess, sort of. DP has life insurance (not a lot - about a 3 years' worth of pay) and I am a beneficiary. She also has a 401K.

Since the house is in both of our names (we are not married, as we're a same-sex couple), I don't really feel at risk of "losing" it, if that makes sense.

Now - my daughter is mine biologically, so there'd be no additional benefits received after the loss (no SSI or whatever).

If I should die - I have life insurance (paid by my employer - about 3 years' worth of pay) and a 401K. Beyond that - my daughter would most likely go to my cousin's family (b/c my partner said she "can't" be a single parent and I want my daughter to be taken care of well), so they'd receive benefits, if I should die.

*Shrug* It's just another way that same-sex couples, with children, get screwed.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #43
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do have life insurance, which would allow bills paid, funeral and the other spouse to get it together before heading to work.

It is sad to think of this, but we live a world where you never know what will happen, like planes crashing into homes! (my hometown is near where the plane crashed in Buffalo and the plane that crashed about 2 years in FL and killed several....I lived in the area).
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #44
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, financially I could and would do it. I know where all the info is and how much everything is and hwo to access it. I also always have enough savings to pay the mortgage for 1 month and I stock pile food so if some happened I could take a month off work and sort through everything. Emotionally I wouls be an insane mess and that is why his parents also have copies of everything so they could do it all for me
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #45
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have enough life insurance that we would be taken care of. I do all of the bills now, so nothing would be new there.

I know dh wouldn't have a clue what to do if I died though. He's never done the bills before.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #46
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! That is alot to think about. Dh and I aren't married so that is another can of worms. I've tried to talk to him about getting some legal stuff setup even if we don't get married, but he's not interested. He likes to think nothing would ever happen to him. And I don't even know who my children would go to if something were to happen to dh and I. My mom is in her early 50's so I guess her at this point but I don't know about when they are older.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #47
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As far as the financial aspects, oh yeah, we'd be fine. We have always been such a team on everything that I know all of our accts and when things need to be paid and whatnot. We also purchased all of our life insurance and such together. We know who we would want to raise our kids but we don't have anything in writing. I do think we need a will.
Now, physically and emotionally, I would be a mess. Just the thought of him not being here with me is enough to bring me to tears. And, he tells me all the time that he doesn't think he could go on without me.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #48
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nope , we could make it money home and what not but if dh died no nothing can be done to prepair me or our 4 kids. We have no one not 1 person we trust with our kids if we were to die. well we do have one person that i told its her job to raise my babies i totally trust her is the MIL..
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #49
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got our wills and power of attourney done up a year ago. If something happens to one of us the house is automatically paid for and while we do have life insurance I keep telling DH that we have to go over it and see how much we exactly have. I think I will get on him about that this week. We are 90% prepared if something should happen. the hardest part was deciding about the kids. DD's dad hopefully will not contest anything, as he is unfit to parent anyone let alone look after himself. So we chose for the kids to go to DH's parents with help from his oldest brother who is really good with the kids. If my DD is old enough should something happen then she will take her little brother on. Touch decisions but they do need to be done.

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote