Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
shella
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is it better to let blistered nips air dry or cover them up and put ointment on them?

I have one really sore, blistered nipple from BFing with a bad latch. Is it better to cover it with something and put ointment on it or leave it open to the air to heal? I have tried a couple different things but I would like to know what worked best for those of you with the same experience. I want to get it healed as fast as I can so that I can get back to nursing DS on that side.

Advertisement

shella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it better to let blistered nips air dry or cover them up and put ointment on t

I can't stress this enough hun. AIR DRY! Rub a little EBM on your nipple after feeding and let it air dry, you can also put a little lanolin on it before you put your bra back on. Have you stopped nursing on that side completely? Are you pumping to keep your supply up? It is best to keep nursing on that side and making doubly sure your latch is correct.

I actually lost part of my nipple to a bad latch with my second child. After that I read up on everything and asked anyone I could think of on how to make sure it never happened again.

BIG WIDE opened mouth with tongue down and thrust out some (We are still fighting that with our LO at the moment) It shouldn't hurt when you nurse. It's a sign of the latch being off.

Good luck healing hun! Your giving your LO the best gift he will ever get!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Mom24Babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it better to let blistered nips air dry or cover them up and put ointment on t

I'm a consultant for The All Natural Face! Enter Consultant # 2107
Mom24Babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
shella
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpure8 View Post
I can't stress this enough hun. AIR DRY! Rub a little EBM on your nipple after feeding and let it air dry, you can also put a little lanolin on it before you put your bra back on. Have you stopped nursing on that side completely? Are you pumping to keep your supply up? It is best to keep nursing on that side and making doubly sure your latch is correct.

I actually lost part of my nipple to a bad latch with my second child. After that I read up on everything and asked anyone I could think of on how to make sure it never happened again.

BIG WIDE opened mouth with tongue down and thrust out some (We are still fighting that with our LO at the moment) It shouldn't hurt when you nurse. It's a sign of the latch being off.

Good luck healing hun! Your giving your LO the best gift he will ever get!
So I should keep nursing and it will still heal? I am nursing on the other side (which is my larger producing side) and pumping both to keep my supply up. I don't let DS nurse too long because it's pretty painful even on the side that isn't as blistered. I don't really know what happened because up until two weeks ago we had been nursing for almost two months without any problem The only thing I could think of was that I started nursing him in bed with me instead of getting up every time and sitting in a chair at night. So I thought maybe his latch got off then.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, Keep nursing, It sounds like a latch issue. Does he take bottles or have a binky? That may be the root problem. After nursing, if you can just hang out and let them air dry that would be best. After they are dry, put some Lansinoh on them to help protect them from any clothing that may rub against them.

I'm not sure if nursing at night is the problem. If his latched changed at night it would most likely wake you up.. unless your sleep deprived or a heavy sleeper. He could be teething. Latches sometimes change while teething as well.

It will be toe curling painful the first few days. If it's too painful to nurse you could try a nipple shield.. but you'll have to work with weaning him off that and deal with more latch problems. It really does sound like a latch problem. If you can get him on either breast correctly, the pain should subside after about 10-20 seconds. If not, he's latched wrong.

I know hun, It's not fun when things go wrong but you'll make it through!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
shella
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just in case anyone else reads this thread for advice I wanted to post what I ended up doing that helped. I talked to my DH's aunt who is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and she said that I should only breast feed if it was not painful through the feeding otherwise to pump for 24 to 48 hours and apply some neosporin afterwards to keep the risk of infection at bay. Also, that I should only pump on a low setting that was not painful because any time I was feeling pain it meant that my tissue was still being damaged. I took her advice and after about 48 hours (pumping only about every 6-8 on the lowest setting my pump had) I was able to go back to nursing my DS on that side.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep I would put breastmilk on it and let it air dry. Lanolin also helps!
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IME breastmilk and air dry (using the medela soft shells). I found that covering them with lanolin only slowed the healing process.