Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #101
MamaNikkiP
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

OOOh and to add to my comment, I do not know about my paternal grandma, but my maternal grandma did nurse her kids, and she even nursed my one aunt until she was 5

Advertisement

MamaNikkiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #102
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

neither of my grandmothers nursed. they lived in the same town (still do) and had the same family doctor. their doctor was the type that told his patients that "most women cannot produce enough breast milk so it's really a waste of precious time to try. and he went on to say that since you can't 'measure' breast milk, you'll never know if your baby is getting enough." it sounds like that was a fairly common "idea" in the 50's. One grandma had 10 children, the other had 4. they both said that used formula, but i never asked "what kind of formula" - i don't know if it was something homemade or commercial.

it has always seemed so strange to me that so few mamas in that generation nursed their babies?

both of my grandmas are supportive of my generation (my cousins & myself) breastfeeding, but i can tell they think 12 months should be the limit. for my cousins who formula feed, the grandmas have made comments about getting baby off that bottle at 12 months ... so, for them the 12 month mark is what it's all about - whether baby is breastfeeding or formula feeding.

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #103
anamule
Registered Users

My Mood:

My maternal grandmother never nursed- it was not popular in the 30's-40's especially when commercal formula started to become available. My paternal GM did nurse but i suspect it was because they were pretty poor, and she didn't nurse very long, as they had a cow! It's funny though my non-nursing gm was way more supportive of me nursing dd into toddlerhood than the nursing GM. My non-nursing gm told me she wished she would have given it a better shot.
anamule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #104
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

My grandmother told me she gave her son solids the day they came home from the hospital (!!!!!!!). My how things have changed! They also told her that her milk wasn't good enough. My mom wasn't breastfed either, so I'm not sure what they used instead but according to my grandmother she had baaaad colic. Hmm I wonder why?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #105
xkellyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My grandmother did not nurse. It was common at that time for doctors and nurses to say things like " You're NOT going to breastfeed are you?" to new mothers. The marvel of modern medical science and the introduction of formula really took its toll. Women were more isolated back then, they didn't have sources like the internet. If a doctor told them nursing wasn't healthy they took it at face value.

My mother, on the other hand, a nurse, had all four of us at home and nursed us all. I've been nursing DD for the past year and have no plans to stop any time soon.

The times they are a changin'
Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #106
heatherslove
Need coffee....NOW!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clechatelier View Post
My grandmother told me she gave her son solids the day they came home from the hospital (!!!!!!!). My how things have changed! They also told her that her milk wasn't good enough. My mom wasn't breastfed either, so I'm not sure what they used instead but according to my grandmother she had baaaad colic. Hmm I wonder why?
When my 5 month old DS was 3 days old, my MIL asked if could give him cereal and I must have shot her the worst look, like "OMG are you stupid?" look. She said that she gave my DH and his brothers Pablum at 3 days old to "fill them up". No wonder they all have stomach problems!

And back to the original question, no neither of my grandmothers breast fed their babies. I know that my mom was fed a homemade formula of evaporated milk.
heatherslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #107
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

My maternal grandmother not only breastfed, but extended breastfed. My aunt nursed for about 2 years, back in the 1940s, from what a great aunt says!

My paternal grandmother however, did not. With her first (1946) she said "Your pop wouldn't let me." Then with her second (1949) she says she did for a few days in the hospital but "Once I stood up, my milk dried up." Hmmm...

On a side note, I did find out that she was born at home! This shocked me because she was born in Hell's Kitchen (section of Manhattan) and I guess I tend to think of homebirths in the 1920s when she was born as being in more of a rural setting.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #108
happymama&wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I assume that my maternal grandma nursed, but I'd have to double check. My aunt and mom both nursed. I know my paternal grandma did not nurse. She was 17 when she had my dad and was worried about "ruining" her breasts. Not sure what she fed him though. But he's got asthma and allergies.

Just think of all the health problems that could have been avoided or eased if only people would have just nursed their babies instead of feeding them yucky formula of the olden days. (Luckily, formula of now isn't quite so bad.)
happymama&wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #109
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neither of my grandmothers nursed and between them, they had 13 children. They fed their babies Horlick's. I know it's in our grocery store but anything malted for a baby sounds absurd to me but they did not have formula. My Nanna (Scotish) fed my aunts and uncles - including my mom goat's milk.
Whatever, it worked and everyone is healthy.
(I tried SO HARD not to give her the WTF look but she smiled and said she wasn't about to nurse her kids. We agreed to disagree without further discussion.)
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #110
sarahw/3boys
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great topic! Neither one of my GMs nursed. Born 1915 and 1919 with 10 and 5 kids respectively. My paternal GM raised 5 kids in the country and I know she mixed something with Karo syrup. My Dad has type 1 diabetes-got it at 19. There is some link to that and homemade formula. I wish I knew more. Very interesting. My MIL fed DH solid food immediately. He had ground up meat at 12 days old. No wonder all he wanted was meat and potatoes when we were first married.
sarahw/3boys is offline   Reply With Quote