Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

Neither of my Grandma ever nursed. My dads mom wanted to but had severe complications with all 4 deleveries and was hospitalized a couple of times so it never happened. She still talks about wishing she could have when she sees me nursing. I think she used Carnation instant milk for a while and then cows milk.

ETA: Her kids were born from '64-'57.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
AshSr84
Registered Users

My Mood:

neither of my grandmothers did. and neither did my mom, or mother in law.
AshSr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

My dad's mom did not nurse.. she said her milk wasn't good enough for my dad - like it didn' thave nutrients and he didn't gain weight.. (1950) she also smoked and drank a lot of coffee ..and didn't really eat well and was pretty thin.. she didn't nurse her 2nd child because the doctor didn't give her the option because she hadn't nursed the first.. (she was breech and delivered vaginally almost 10lbs and way overdue - ouch!! )

My Mom's mom (1951) got an 'infection' .. maybe mastitis? and they put her on antibiotics and told her she could not to nurse my mom.. she got very very sick and was in bed for a week or two according to my grandpa .. my mom was only 2 weeks old so my grandpa made formula for her from a recipe the doctor gave them.. he said she refused to take it for several days and finally got hungry enough .. (can you imagine a 2 week old not eating for several days?!?) she had bad allergies as a child but is otherwise fine.. my grandma nursed her other 3 children .. 1 of the BF kiddos also had allergies ..

My DH's grandma nursed her 7 babies in the 50s - but sadly none of her 4 daughters went on to nurse their babies in the 70s-80s..
Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #24
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

I'm the only person in my family who's nursed. I asked my grandmother if she nursed, and she said that they didn't do that back then.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

I'm honestly unsure if either of my grandmother's breastfed their babies. My mother breastfed only my oldest brother and only until 6/7 months (when he started getting teeth). She didn't even attempt to breastfeed any of the following 5 children.
DH's mother breastfed him and both of his siblings for 3 or 4 months each. His paternal grandmother attempted to breastfeed my FIL but gave up after a few weeks because her doctor told her that her "milk was just water." Whatever that means. I'm assuming that FIL wasn't gaining weight fast enough because Grandma was told to ONLY breastfeed him for "x" minutes every "x" hours.
DH's paternal great-grandmother breastfed all 8 of thier kids. I know this because DH's Grandma told me that when she was struggling with nursing FIL, great-grandma whipped out her boob to demonstrate how to latch the baby on. 50 some years later and grandma is still traumatized from having her MIL whip out her boobie in front of her lol. "Her nipples were as big as saucers" Uh, yeah, I'd imagine they would be after nursing 8 babies lol.
L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #26
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My grandma nursed all 9 of her children (my mom breastfed us and I believe her sisters breastfed their children as well), but my DH's grandma did not.

She told me things like her milk was too watery (it is suppose to be) and she didn't make enough and she couldn't keep track to see if her children were eating enough.
She told these things to her own daughter (my MIL) and she believed it and still does. She never breastfed her children either. She thinks my milk is too watery (I left expressed bm for my DD and DS).
I am glad my SIL who is breastfeeding her new baby knows the facts and doesn't listen to her mom and grandma...
there were so many misconceptions and still are about breastfeeding.

Last edited by ForCryingOutLoud; 02-13-2009 at 12:00 PM.
ForCryingOutLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #27
Monzie
Registered Users

My mother's mother, who would be 85 if she were still alive, had two daughters (in the late 1940's) and never bf'ed either of them. She was very busty and her doctor told her that he breasts were too large to nurse. So both my mom and aunt were bottlefed canned evaporated milk.

Ironically, I inherited my gran's big boobs but I had no trouble bf'ing at all.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a gm that did not nurse either of her 2 babies (if still alive she would be in her mid 90's). Her babies were fed canned evaporated milk diluted with water. My mother (now 73) tried very briefly to nurse my oldest brother but had no support from any breastfeeding women so he was given the same canned milk, water and corn syrup concoction my mother was fed. My mother then fed the same mixture to her next 4 children.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #29
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to have to ask, I know my brother and I were nursed for 9 months each and we never took a bottle, but I don't know that my Grandmothers nursed, I do remember my aunts nursing and it being very normal though, I remember seeing nursing mothers at church growing up. It was the hippie 70s though (:

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #30
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that one of my Gma's nursed but when my Dad got enormous (just like my babies do), his doctor told her to give him diluted skin milk. He was about 3 months old. She said that at the time, you just did what your doctor told you to but looking back, she knows that's ridiculous because she saw how huge my kids get and I just nursed through their growth spurts. They're both very tall for their ages but completely healthy and not at all overweight. It's sad to think that so many women were directed away from the healthiest thing they could have done for their babies and themselves. I've told my Gma that out of all the memories I'll treasure from their babyhood, breastfeeding has to be the most important. She was sorry she missed out on it.