Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
ecummings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

My Grandma never nursed her 3 kids. She admits now that she wishes she would have (after reading an article that BF'd babies are smarter). My mom BF'd all of us, but not sure for how long. She got pregnant when I was 3 months old, and her milk dried up shortly after. So I know how long I was BF'd for, just not my sisters.

My dad's mom never BF'd and only one of his sisters did. The other one actually gave her daughter skim milk because the dr said she was 'too chubby'!

So far most of my relatives are pretty supportive of me BFing.

Advertisement

Jacob (5/06) and Sean (7/08) and Carter (10/11)
ecummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #32
Turtlegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only grandparent to nurse is my maternal grandmother. She nursed because it was the only option. She lived in the bush in northern Canada with no access to stores throughout the winter. They LITTERALLY had a dog sled! She said she had not even seen formula untill after her kids were older and she moved to "town".
Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #33
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Neither of my grandmothers did. I don't know much about my dad's mom's reasoning. I know my maternal grandmother had her kids during the 50's and that was the heyday of the "twilight sleep" and doctors were gods. Formula was relatively new then and if it was made by science then it was obviously better than anything natural. So grandma used formula. My mom said she can still remember her mom getting up in the middle of the night and going to the kitchen to make bottles. (Ech! One more reason I'm glad I BF! I'm too lazy for formula!) My grandma doesn't really say anything about me nursing DD, but she loves our carriers and dipes.

My mom nursed me for 2 years though. Of course, my mom was "crunchy" before crunchy was cool. There was no junk food in our house and she's still WAY more informed about nutrition than I am - and my DH calls me a hippie! Heck, I still remember being teased in elementary school about the food that mom packed me. The other kids thought the tofu was disgusting and weird. :-P
Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think Im the only one that has done it on my side of the family.
My grandma never did, and my other gma died in 1996 so I have no clue if she did.

I dont think it was 'lady like' to do it back then.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #35
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

My mom's mom nursed my uncle only for a short while. She had an absess in her breast that errupted and put her in the hospital. She stoped bfing, but not sure what she did after that? I know she went on to bf my mom and aunt w/o trouble, but my mom only for a few months. She had to go back to work full time b/c my grandpa was a bad alcoholic (ended up dyeing from it when my mom was only 3) so she had to support the family

My dad's mom didn't b/c she didn't have much milk but was always very supportive of me while she was alive when I would bf DS1 around her. I was very shy at first about NIP, and when he'd get hungry when we were out she'd make me sit down and nurse him where ever we happened to be. I would look at her funny and she'd tell me not to worry, all the matter was my DS needed to eat and if someone had a problem w/ it they could kiss our *sses, she was a very blunt grandma

I don't think all grandparents that didn't nurse are harsh to those of us that do...

I know on DH's side his great grandpa was nursed by a wetnurse until he was 2, DH remembers him talking about it
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #36
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
I know on DH's side his great grandpa was nursed by a wetnurse until he was 2, DH remembers him talking about it
That is impressive! I know when I was a nanny the grandmother to the children (so not the person that hired me) said that I should be thankful that I didn't live in a time that this was common otherwise I would be a wet nurse. I still don't know how to take what she said. BTW I was a nanny up until I got married so it was a long time before I got pregnant.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #37
hshaw
Registered Users

My Mood:

Neither of my grandmothers did either. Dh's grandmother did only for the first 3 weeks. Neither of our mothers even tried, I guess the 80's were a difficult time for working Moms? I am the FIRST in my family to, and so far ONLY (3 generations) to do it longer than 3 weeks. DD#1 went 12 months & DD#2 is at 7 weeks & hopefully will do 12 months too if not longer.
I'm a GOODMAMA
hshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #38
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my grandma didnt nurse.. her first was born in... like 1959 or 60 i think? she said she gave him the condensed milk/corn syrup crap, and my mom and aunt (64 and 65) had like enfamil or something.

my mother didnt bf either of us, and dh's mother didnt bf any of her 3. My mom planned to bf my baby sister, but while she was in the hospital during 4 days of labor, they showed her a video about how her nipples would crack and bleed in the first days, and she refused to try after seeing that.

My paternal grandmother didnt nurse any of her 4 either, and shes the 5th in her family to get breast cancer, so that was anotther reason i wanted to do it. My son is the only baby irl that i knw thats never had formula.

Last edited by MamaToBe84; 02-13-2009 at 05:06 PM.
MamaToBe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #39
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my dh's grandma's didn't nurse. His father's mother was told by her doctor she didn't have enough milk when the first one was 2 weeks old and told her to stop. So she never tried again and had six kids, her kids were fed diluted canned milk. His other grandma was told her baby wouldn't live to come home so they gave her a shot to dry up her milk and sent her home. She went home truly believing she would never see her daughter again (makes me cry just to type it). They called her a week later to tell her her baby was still alive and she could come in to visit. A week after that they sent my MIL home. She was raised on Enfamil, the only formula available at the time.

My mother was avid about bf and bf all four of us past a year (me to 18 months) although bf was very unpopular and she was the only one in her "circle" that bf. I have a great story about my grandma (dad's mom) she bf two babies in Post WWII germany. My dad, and a neighbors baby. They were in a very rural area and the other mother never had milk come in, my grandma was a single mom with no income, nursing a second baby is how she survived. Crazy to think about huh!!?! give a new meaning to the ideas of milk sharing and milk banks. Oh, and my grandma must have had a TON of milk because my dad was born at 13 lbs! Makes my little guy being born at 11 lbs 7oz seem like a small fry.

Last edited by slimy72; 02-13-2009 at 05:36 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #40
NickyG
Registered Users

I haven't read through the thread, but there was a class thing going on back then. My grandma said that she didn't bf because she didn't want people thinking she was too poor to be able to afford formula. Very frustrating.
NickyG is offline   Reply With Quote