Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help please!

Brian had his blood drawn today around 10:30 this morning and now he has spots all over his arm and on his pinky. They weren't there at 12:00, but are now an hour later. Any idea what it could be? They did hold his arm down, could it be from that? I am trying to get a picture of it, he is not sitting still, but I will post it if I can get a good pic of the arm.

Advertisement

Mama to Brian 12-05-07, Alita 11-01-09 and expecting #3 July 2011- It's a Boy!!!
LauraA1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
cjbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help please!

Latex allergy?? I have a severe latex allergy and it started with rashes. Just a thought..
Fan me on Facebook!!
cjbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thats what we were thinking. The dr wants to see him, so off we go!
Mama to Brian 12-05-07, Alita 11-01-09 and expecting #3 July 2011- It's a Boy!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's what I was gonna say as well. Probably hives or a rash from either a latex allergy or maybe even something heavily scented that the person holding his arm down was wearing. I know my son breaks out if he gets around heavily perfumed / cologned people.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Turns out the red bumps are broken capillaries from how tight they had to make the turniket on his arm to get a vein and the purple bumps are bruising either from them having to hold down his arm or just from getting his blood drawn. The Dr. wasn't sure why it was on his fingers, but she did say that it would probably get worse before it gets better and as long as it doesn't spread to other parts of his body and he doesn't get a fever, then there is no need to worry.
Although I feel better, his arm looks awful and he is bruised so bad from the needle
Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um, as a parent who's had two babes undergo blood drawing/surgery, I cannot believe someone held that arm tight enough to bruise. With their fingers?!? How irresponsible can you be? That is so sad....

I'd complain about that one, mama. Whomever did it should have some further training! I hope it gets better fast...
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
4my5guys
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's called piticiai(sp?) It's not uncommon. Both of my twins have had this at very different times in their lives. Ty had it from a tournaquet and a blood pressure cuff. It can be from being on motrin/advil or just being sick can cause them to be less resiliant, by what I understand. I was a phlebotomist for 15 years and while I have never had a patient return and tell that this has happened to their child. I have seen it happen from IV starts more often, maybe because the tournaquet was left on longer. Has he been on advil, or is he animic? It should clear up and not be painful. It should also only be below where they placed the tournaquet.
4my5guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He has never had any advil. It was on his arm for a long time. They had a very difficult time getting a vein and then the blood came out super slow... My mom and I have horrible veins and they said Brian does too. I felt the whole thing was a bit off. I was told they would use the smallest needle, but the women who did it said she had to use a larger one and then another women touched the site without gloves and I had to insist she clean it again Neither spoke english well and barley even spoke to us... The peds office was a bit shocked that he was bruised. It was an awful experience all around
Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has regular blood draws and has this happen everytime. Sometimes he will get it on his face from holding his breath while they do the blood draw. The nurses are always so gentle but he just fights it so much that it takes a long time which makes it worse.

I hope you don't have to go through it again.
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote