Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: "Irresponsible" for having more than 2 children

We are a family of 5 and have a smaller carbon footprint than many childless couples. It is certainly not in the number of members in the family -- it is all in how you live.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #12
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We currently have two children. I don't know if we'll have more, but that decision has nothing to do with "over populating the world". Reducing our carbon footprint, becoming more environmentally friendly, alternative fuel/energy sources, etc., are my concerns. Not over populating the world if I decide to have more children.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Funny how American "environmentalists" say stuff like that. Here in Germany, it's my patriotic duty to have more kids. Someone's gotta pay for my retirement. And, honestly, who thinks it's a good idea to ensure the demise of your own culture and genetic material? I know the world population is a problem for the environment in the long run. But there are other ways to limit the population besides telling Westerners they're evil for having more than two kids: some stochastic events- start a war, start an epidemic, break a few dams...

Unfortunately, the ways to actually reduce population growth like educating rural women, providing food aid and medicine to third world countries, development projects targeted at empowering women, also increase the demand for world resources by elevating the impoverished to the level of consumer. Gee, we should have thought about that before we outsourced all our service jobs to India.

Well there is one way to reduce population growth at the same time as reducing consumer demand for resources: create a worldwide economic crisis that slows trade and manufacturing and causes job insecurity for potential parents.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
idefix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
We are a family of 5 and have a smaller carbon footprint than many childless couples. It is certainly not in the number of members in the family -- it is all in how you live.
That's us.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have only one child, it's all I will ever be able to have. My heart is broken over that.

I find this insulting. How dare anyone try to regulate the number of children you have. China has suffered greatly in more ways than one because of their ridiculous governmental policy.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Agh! what a pile of malarkey! How about educating the population on how to make a smaller carbon footprint? how about using alternative energy sources? There are a lot of other ways to reduce global warming besides population control!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This just reminds me of quote I read somewhere. It stated something to the effect of, the ignorant will kill themselves off. I think it's horrible that they really think this would work, but at the same time, let them think it. Then, they have no one to pass those beliefs on to.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teffer View Post
It is a complete fallacy that the Earth is over populated. In some places, the population growth is in the negative!

Mother Theresa said: "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers!" and she was right. Besides, why should some one else get to decide how many children I have. That's between God and my family. In a culture where women have the right to an abortion without the government interefering, ther should be equal rights for those who want to have children.

I cannot believe that a government agency would seek to control its citizens like this at all. Very scary...

Exactly right......EVERY child is a blessing in our eyes.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami in Deutschland View Post
Funny how American "environmentalists" say stuff like that. Here in Germany, it's my patriotic duty to have more kids. Someone's gotta pay for my retirement. And, honestly, who thinks it's a good idea to ensure the demise of your own culture and genetic material? I know the world population is a problem for the environment in the long run. But there are other ways to limit the population besides telling Westerners they're evil for having more than two kids: some stochastic events- start a war, start an epidemic, break a few dams...

Unfortunately, the ways to actually reduce population growth like educating rural women, providing food aid and medicine to third world countries, development projects targeted at empowering women, also increase the demand for world resources by elevating the impoverished to the level of consumer. Gee, we should have thought about that before we outsourced all our service jobs to India.

Well there is one way to reduce population growth at the same time as reducing consumer demand for resources: create a worldwide economic crisis that slows trade and manufacturing and causes job insecurity for potential parents.

So sad, but so true.