Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is it even possible to get a 2 month old to sleep better at night?

I am counting the days until my dd2 is 3.5 months because that's when I can start sleep training her. I'm not sure what's going on but she has decided not to sleep long stretches anymore. Last night, for example, she went down at 8 after 1.5 hours of nursing and soothing. I was really hoping for a 6:30 bedtime but she had other ideas. She woke after 4 hours (not bad), but then woke again after 2 and then again every hour and then every half hour until 6:30. It doesn't seem to matter how she naps because she didn't nap well yesterday... BUT she had a 3 hour nap the afternoon before and slept horribly that night too. Naps are pretty much a whole different battle because it takes me about 30 minutes to get her to sleep and then she wakes up 20 minutes later. If she were my only child I'd probably just suck it up but since I have a 2 year old as well this is getting VERY tricky.

Is there ANYTHING I can be doing at this point, or do I just need to chalk it up to newborn phases?? I.am.very.tired.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it even possible to get a 2 month old to sleep better at night?

Aww mama!

I think at that age, they're still getting their sleep routine worked out. You can't expect much from them as they go through growth spurts like non-stop, and they're still figuring out night/day patterns.

Just a few more weeks, and she'll probably get better on her own!

I let DS sleep with me a lot at that age...he would nap only 20 mins or so by himself, but if I let him sleep on my chest, he'd stay asleep for 3+hrs. He's my first though, so I could afford to lay down for three hours, lol!

Maybe try letting her sleep in a carrier or sling? She'd probably rest longer and then you would still be able to tend to your other child/get some stuff done.

Or, swaddle her up really good. That always helped DS too

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually do try to give her one good nap in the MT in the morning when I'm taking DD1 to playgroups and such. She's been pretty good with it. I don't do it in the afternoon though because she never seems to fall asleep in it when we're home... she just whines . I HAD a swing but we had no good place to put it and DD1 kept hanging in it so I got rid of it.

As far as the swaddle goes, I've been using the Kiddopotamus SwaddleMes and pulling them super tight. That definitely seems to help, them things are like little straight jackets.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Moog
Registered Users
seller

What magically happens to her at that age that makes her not need you any more? Babies wake and cry because they know almost nothing but YOU and YOUR love and warmth. When they wake and you're not there, they have NO understanding of what has gone wrong. THAT is why they cry, for the loss of the one person they need/want most in the world. Why on earth would you deny her that in pursuit of your own needs?

I've been sleep deprived for 13 months and I love every minute I spend with my son.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am just trying to help her sleep better. Last time I checked, that is HER need, not mine.

Sorry, I was not looking for flames here. I'm just a tired mama wanting to help her baby, not a nasty child abandoner.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your daughter needed consistent sleep, she would sleep consistently. She's waking because she needs help from you to sleep. At this age, especially, it is my belief that it is your job as her parent to provide for her needs, not to ask her to accomodate yours.
I also agree with a PP who questions what it is that magically happens at 3 1/2 months that makes it "ok" to sleep train her. I disagree with that through and through.

I'm sorry that your daughter's sleep needs are difficult for you. I can understand how that is, having dealt with the same thing for 14 months with my second son.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry you're so tired, Mama! I know it makes things hard. Hang in there.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootyGold View Post
Aww mama!

I think at that age, they're still getting their sleep routine worked out. You can't expect much from them as they go through growth spurts like non-stop, and they're still figuring out night/day patterns.

Just a few more weeks, and she'll probably get better on her own!

GOOD LUCK!!
I agree. I know how tough it is though! i wish I had some advice, but I don't think theres really anything that can be done. I hope that it gets better for you soon.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Mockeh
Registered Users

Babies need fed and comforted regularly. Their tummies can't hold that much food, so they can't go that long without being fed

The best advice I can give you is to co-sleep and nurse laying down, so that you can get more sleep! My 13 month old nurses hourly, day and night and I'd be zombified if I didn't co-sleep!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
If your daughter needed consistent sleep, she would sleep consistently. She's waking because she needs help from you to sleep. At this age, especially, it is my belief that it is your job as her parent to provide for her needs, not to ask her to accomodate yours.
I also agree with a PP who questions what it is that magically happens at 3 1/2 months that makes it "ok" to sleep train her. I disagree with that through and through.
I know you hate to hear it (trust me I personally know how frustrating it is and how it makes you feel like we're judging you... I've been there... I AM there) but I agree with this.

Sleep patterns change - and change often. You will get through this, you will find a way.

My daughter slept really well between 3 and 5 months. At 5 months she stopped. Since then I am lucky if I get a 4hr stretch. She is up every 1-2 hours at night. Sometimes the first stretch is 3-4 hrs. So at 11 months she is waking 6-8 times in a 10-12hr night. So yes I know how difficult it is to be sleep deprived.

Co-sleeping has been a mixed blessing for us. My daughter sleeps all her naps in her crib and her first stretch or two in her crib. Once I have gone to bed and she wakes I pull her in bed with me. I was completely against it at first. I was so uncomfortable co-sleeping. I literally get pains in my legs if I don't move a lot in my sleep and with her there I'm afraid to move a lot (plus there's just not as much room). However it came down to being uncomfortable and getting some sleep or sitting up for half an hour every time she woke trying o get her back down. We adapted and go tused to co-sleeping. Now I am a zombie when I get her from her crib. Half the time I don't even remember doing it come morning. BUT I can function throughout the day. The downside is that she sleeps worse in our bed than in her crib because right next to me she smells my milk and wakes more often. So it's a trade off. Sit up for half an hour every 3-4 hours or sleep while she nurses every 2 hours...

It's not something that works for everyone. I'm just trying to let you know that you will find a way.

Try to get naps in when you can. Sleep is more important than housework or showers sometimes. Get your DH (if you have one and can!) to watch the baby in the morning one Saturdays (or whatever works) so you can sleep in. Nap with the baby when you can. It's hard to do but it does wonders!
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote