Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
CD'ing a baby w/ eczema

We just started seeing signs of eczema with my 7 month old . My 4 y.o. also had it when she was a baby, but we were using disposables back then. Do you think the kind of diapers or detergent I use affects this? She has a few different spots, but the worst spot is very big in her diaper area. The Dr thought it was ringworm at first, but now she's decided that it is eczema. We use Sun detergent and use a combination of fitteds ,BumGenius & FB's. Has anybody had this problem and had luck with a different detergent? I tried ALL F&C and Purex F&C several months ago and had huge build up problems with those. The Dr also said to use Eucerin lotion & this will probably mess up the fleece on my dipes, right? Any suggestions? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Pocket_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: CD'ing a baby w/ eczema

Are you sure it's not food allergies? My dd (6 mo) has had bad "eczema" for most of her life. Her diaper area was ALWAYS bad, along with the rest of her body. We took her to the allergist and it was determined thru blood tests she is allergic to dairy, wheat and eggs. I went of dairy at first and within 2 weeks her bottom area was totally clear - her rest of her body still hasn't improved.

The allergist thought it was pretty cool that her entire area where the diaper touched had NO rash, but the rest of her did. He said to keep it up!
Pocket_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At night, I would let him sleep without a diaper, on a soaker pad. His skin needs air. And maybe use wool diaper liners. My neighbor's boy has eczema and he does ok in a cloth daiper. She uses purex.

I would say don't use that lotion unless you use it when he's not in a diaper, though. Summer would be a good time to not use a diaper cover, and change him as soon as he wets.

Last edited by Righteous Recycles; 05-17-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
cr2005
Registered Users
seller

My oldest has this and it was very bad when he was in disposables (wish I cd'd then). Carter doesn't seem to be as sensitive as Jason was. I change him often. For laundry I use Tide Free for our clothes and downy free as well. I try to by unscented everything because Jason is very sensitive. For my diapers I use Allens Naturally detergent. I also started doing an extra rinse on everything to make sure all detergent is rinsed out completely.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

As far as diaper rash cream, Arbonne sells one that doesn't mess with dipes. It has no mineral oil or animal=by products. LMK if you are interested. It is more expensive than store brands, but worth every penny!

Also our baby soap is great. Fantastic stuff. Sorry for the spam, but it is truly wonderful.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
aimee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has ezcema pretty bad also, and I can NOT use Sun detergent. He gets really red when I do. I have stuck with Purex Free and Clear, not one build up problem for me. Here is my wash routine if you want to try it. (also I had a water softner so I am not sure if that helps or not)

Warm prewash
Warm 30 min soak with baking soda
Hot wash with Purex F&C
Cold rinse with vinegar
another cold rinse with nothing

GL I hope it clears up soon.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm afraid to try Purex free & clear again, because we got bad build up on our Fuzzi Bunz and they smelled horrible, but all of my other dipes did ok with it. Is Allen's good for FB's? Are all free & clear detergents going to cause build up on my FB's? Thanks to everyone who replied!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
hunterNkarter
www.DinkerandGiggles.com
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Myself and the boys have eczema-

I use MelaPower detergent (clothes and diaper)
Kids bathe every other day I use TT bar soap or nothing.
I lather them with the whipped shea by TT
diaper area I use the shea butter in the tin

hardly ever do them or myself have flare ups now!
Baby #3 born naturally on Feb 2nd! I Blog
My Feedback: DiaperPin
ISO: SANITY IHA: Not nearly enough PP/RME!
hunterNkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My 22 month old daughter has had eczema since she was just two or three months old. From what I understand talking to other moms, every baby is different and some are more sensitive than others. Here are some things to try that I have tried per my doctors instructions. There are some things your baby may not be sensitive too that another baby will be. So you may not have to do all these things.

Babies with eczema have very dry skin and the bath soaps and frequent baths can cause breakouts. When I quit bathing her every single day it helped ALOT. I also quit using baby soaps and started using Cetaphil skin cleanser as my doctor suggested. Some eczema babies have to be bathed with just water and no soap, fortunately my baby isn't that sensitive.

The Eucerin Calming Lotion keeps her from crying and scratching. If your baby get fussy and you can't figure out why it could be that their skin is itchy. And at a young age sometimes they can't scratch themselves to let you know.

If you are nursing you may need to wash all your shirts with baby detergent or whatever detergent is working for your babys sensitive skin. Before I washed my shirts with her clothes she would get a rash on her face from being up against me. If you've tried many detergents and they all seem to be causing problems you may need to just rinse your babys clothes a few extra times to get the detergent completely out of the clothes.

Wash your baby with Cetaphil after coming in contact with animals. Even if someone who has an animal at home holds your baby up against them in church this can cause a rash even without the animal coming in contact with them just because of the animal dander on their shirt. Even a eczema baby playing in the grass can cause a bad breakout.

My eczema baby is severely sensitive to ALL diaper rash ointments! The only things I can use on her is vaseline or baby powder. Everything else tears her up and makes her bleed.

Basically I have discovered that many many things cause my baby to break out. Things I can't even begin to protect her from. And it gets alot harder when they get big enough to run and play. The only thing you can really do is use a great laundry detergent, soap, and lotion to treat the symptoms.

I hope this helps a little. My heart goes out to you and your baby. This eczema has been a battle for us and I wish I had known about some of this stuff sooner for my baby.
Elizabeth
aliyahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter has had eczema too. I had been using Tide free on dipes before she arrived. It gave her rashes - I switched to the Trader Joe's (don't know if you have them where you live, if not MelaPowder is close) and that works great for us. Also, pf's make her get rashy but fitteds don't. She does best with and wool. I use Burt's Bees apricot oil on her at diaper changes. I've also used Aquaphor and fleece liners with no problem (made by Eucarin). I always let her air out for a few minutes during diaper changes, too. HTH!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote