Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
At what age can you go to the movies?

I have my first child and I was wondering at what age can children go to the movies, I mean at what age can they follow the story and sit through one hour+ ?

Not that we are planning to go anytime soon, my ds is just 14 month and doesn't even watch tv yet (and we plan to keep it that way).

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
kiwi87
Registered Users

Re: At what age can you go to the movies?

I took my daughter to see her first movie a few months ago, just before she turned 2. It went pretty well, there was a tad bit of fussiness but it wasn't a big deal... she really enjoyed the experience. I don't plan on making it a regular thing, but once in a while it's fun to take her.

The first movie she ever went with ME to, was 300. Of course she slept in her carrier the entire time.
kiwi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our Theater does "Free Summer Movies on Wednesday mornings." Horton hears a who was one of the movies they showed for "Free." My sister and I took her sons who were 1yr and 2 1/2 at the time. For the most part they did really well I did take them 1 at a time out to the Lobby to walk around and we left in the last 20mins of the movie. But hey it was free lol lol.
This summer I'm planning on takin my older Nephew to more "Free movies" he'll be old enough to pretty much sit through a movie if not we can leave.

It's gonna be awhile yet before I pay for them to go to the movies unless it's at the $1 movie theater. Then if we end up leaving it's not a huge loss of money.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Depends on the child. My oldest would've sat through a movie at 14 months, probably. She has always loved movies and that was about the only thing she would sit for. My son, however, wouldn't watch anything but Thomas the Train until he was about 3.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

My ODD had just turned two (so she was about 26 months) when I took her to her first movie.

It was Madagascar I was pleasantly surprised. She sat through the whole thing-- well we missed a *bit* of the ending because I went to refill her sippy with water from the fountain.

My step-sister talked me into taking her. Her son was 3 at the time and she said he'd been fine going to movies, so I gave it a shot expecting to have to leave halfway through. Not so.

It was really nice to know that she could handle movies because my mom had recently passed away and I was single... so there wasn't much to do by myself with a young toddler. After that we went to movies ALL the time. We caught almost every new kids movie to come out. Although once we went to the movies and all the kids shows were sold out, so we had to watch "Bewitched." It was PG 13 and soooo boring for a LO-- but she did great

I think the only negative movie experience we had was when I though I could take her to see "Brothers Grimm" (due to her past experience with a PG 13 movie.) OMG-- I wasn't even thinking about how scary it would be for a 3-year-old. We left... I felt so bad

Anywho, after that mini-novel I guess my only advice is: you won't know until you try Try with something age-appropriate and cheap (so you won't feel bad if you have to leave.) IME, kids are able to handle a lot of things before people are willing to give them a chance. If I hadn't tried to sit my DD up at 4 months, I'd have never known she was ready I wasn't expecting her to sit up until 6 months-- KWIM?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mamas, I think I got an idea now.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is almost 4 and I've been wanting to take her for awhile now but movie nights are few and far between so DH and I tend to be selfish with them We have decided that the next good kids one that goes to theaters we'll take her. DS is 2 and I wouldn't even CONSIDER taking him. He's just not cut out for sitting still.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

DS we took when he was about 5. We had to take cotton for him to put in his ears. We took DD a couple of weeks ago. She's 2. It was mall cop, so she lost interest (so did I though ) We left halfway through and picked DH and DS up later.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took my nephew to see his first movie in the theater, he was 3 or 4 -- we saw Toy Story, just to give you an idea of how long ago that was. Anyway, about 15 minutes into the movie he stood up on the chair and said loudly, "Ok, I'm done now. It's time to go home." He did eventually make it through the whole movie, but not without encouragement.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't taken my 4 year old yet. I don't know if he could sit still that long to watch a movie. He has watched a movie at home a few times, but becomes disinterested or wants to do something else. I don't have any immediate plans of taking him yet either.