Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
MelissaNCgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shingles/Chickenpox question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsmum13 View Post
But really he has been exposed now anyways, you cannot turn back time to 3 days ago. If he gets them he gets them, if he doesn't he doesn't

I know this. I wasn't trying to turn back time at all. I simply wanted to know if the exposure he had was enough to give him chicken pox. I wasn't upset over the possibility or in a panic or anything. I don't mind if he gets chicken pox, in fact I would prefer he get the disease than the vaccine. I would rather him get lifelong immunity than be at risk for getting CP as an adult when the vaccine wears off and the risks are greater. Anyway, I was simply asking whether or not his exposure could lead to CP. I wanted to know if I needed to be on the lookout for symptoms anytime soon. But it sounds like since he wasn't in contact with the shingles sores he probably won't catch CP. I don't think she even had the rash at that time.

I'm really not wanting to turn this thread into a debate over vaccines vs the disease. I was just looking for factual information to a simple, straight-forward question. Thanks to those who gave it.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
spotsmum13
Registered Users

My Mood:

I by not way was saying that you are irresponsible for not vaxxing your child. I was stating that by intentionally exposing your child to chicken pox you could be causing more than just a bad rash to occur. I personally would not want to cause any of the complications on my own child.
If you had continued reading you may have noticed that I did mention I did suffer a few years ago from shingles, and yes, I know it is more than just a rash.
It is before the rash occurs that the child is contageous. Therefore you don't even know if the person has chicken pox until after the rash comes out, then too late to be exposed to the contageous infection. My DD's daycare doesn't even ask that the kids be kept home when they have chicken pox.

Here are some links that are reputable sources, if you don't feel my medical dictonary is a sufficient source. I guess the fact that I work in health care doesn't matter much.

http://preventdisease.com/diseases/s...hickenpox.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenpox
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/229/main.html
living in Mummy to DD #1 born Aug 21, 2001 (9years) DD#2 born still Aug 24, 2007, and due 09/09/2011
spotsmum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It is before the rash occurs that the child is contageous. Therefore you don't even know if the person has chicken pox until after the rash comes out, then too late to be exposed to the contageous infection. My DD's daycare doesn't even ask that the kids be kept home when they have chicken pox.
It's not true that a person is ONLY contagious before the pox come out. CP is still contagious after they come out, but once they are all crusted over then the person is no longer contagious. My dd had CP 2 years ago, and a friend brought over her 4 kids (and Claire was covered in pox by then) and one of her kids caught it from Claire (they shared a sippy cup). So yeah, she was still contagious even after the rash came out (in fact, it was about 2 days after her first pox showed up). Daycare (& the ped) said she could go back once all lesions were crusted over.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I by not way was saying that you are irresponsible for not vaxxing your child. I was stating that by intentionally exposing your child to chicken pox you could be causing more than just a bad rash to occur. I personally would not want to cause any of the complications on my own child.
If you had continued reading you may have noticed that I did mention I did suffer a few years ago from shingles, and yes, I know it is more than just a rash.

Here are some links that are reputable sources, if you don't feel my medical dictonary is a sufficient source. I guess the fact that I work in health care doesn't matter much.

http://preventdisease.com/diseases/s...hickenpox.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenpox
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/229/main.html
I personaly would have to question your information since you just claimed that cp is not contagious after the rash breaks out. According to the CDC when the pustules rupture it is very contagious. We thought Kearnan might finally have picked it up from one of the multiple fully vaxed kids at his school who had it (the school had an outbreak, being as how he is one of only 2 vaccine free kids in his school all of those who caught it were infact up to date) but it turned out to just be a winter rash.

Maybe you would like the CDC's pink book pages on CP as a bit of a sounder resource than wikipedia?

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...icella-508.pdf

This is why we prefer our kids actually get CP to getting the vaccine which will wear off in a couple of years and leave them open to catching it as an adult when it is more dangerous. It just isn't that dangerous of a disease. And FYI, according to the CDC impetiago is not a possible complication of cp. So again, not totally trusting your information here.

Quote:
The clinical course in healthy children is generally mild, with malaise, pruritus (itching), and temperature up to 102F for 23 days. Adults may have more severe disease and have a higher incidence of complications. Respiratory and gastrointestinal symptoms are absent.
and according to CDC your risk from varicella age by age is this

Quote:
The risk of complications from varicella varies with age. Complications are infrequent among healthy children. They occur much more frequently in persons older than 15 years of age and infants younger than 1 year of age. For instance, among children 114 years of age, the fatality rate of varicella is approximately 1 per 100,000 cases, among persons 1519 years, it is 2.7 per 100,000 cases, and among adults 3049 years of age, 25.2 per 100,000 cases. Adults account for only 5% of reported cases of varicella but approximately 35% of mortality.
I think I will stick with letting my kids catch the actual illness thank you.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote