Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
AHHHH! My mom has shingles and I cannot take DS to see her! (bang head here!)

Dh and I have made the decision to let DS get chicken pox naturally. (Please no flames, this is a personal choice that we have researched and consulted with our ped. about- with her consent.)

So I get off the phone tonight with my mom and she has shingles- like adult CP, she had CP as a child.

And all I can do is b/c I cannot go anywhere near her (nor can I take DS to see her) being that I am 27 weeks pregnant and it could be dangerous for me and the baby.

I am more than happy to take care of myself and the baby, obviously- but I cannot help but be a bit peeved that I have, in my family and such a short car ride away something we have been looking for, and at this moment, just cannot go there. humph.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Re: AHHHH! My mom has shingles and I cannot take DS to see her! (bang head here!)

well, the incubation period is 14days from the onset of the rash, after that she shouldn't be contagious so that might help set your mind at ease. I had my shingles rash for gosh....6 months? My kids never got it - it was right under my breast and on my side to about the middle of my back and my nursling never got CP
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
SlumberMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: AHHHH! My mom has shingles and I cannot take DS to see her! (bang head here!)

Have YOU ever had CP before?
Yes, I take PP
SlumberMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberMomma View Post
Have YOU ever had CP before?
Yup, I had them when I was 2 1/2 monthes old- caught them from my sister. I have been around at least 5 other children, both as a child and an adult, who have had CP and nothing- so the case I had as a baby seems to have been strong enough to take care of me.

My brother had them when I was about 10, a really bad case, and I was fine.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

our homeopath assured me that it was safe if you personally have had cp already and are pregnant. that said, i recently had shingles and it was right between my breasts and under one and grace is obviously still nursing and none of my children are vaccinated and they never got it. i was hoping they would.(that sounds so mean and wrong but you knwo what I'm saying being a fellow chicken pox party-goer)
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh3699 View Post
well, the incubation period is 14days from the onset of the rash, after that she shouldn't be contagious so that might help set your mind at ease. I had my shingles rash for gosh....6 months? My kids never got it - it was right under my breast and on my side to about the middle of my back and my nursling never got CP

That's good to know mama, thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
SlumberMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
our homeopath assured me that it was safe if you personally have had cp already and are pregnant.

If I understand your OP correctly, you WANT your ds to get CP, so I say take him to grandma and have him rub all over her (as long as it's not painful for her...I had shingles when I was 17 and it was very painful for someone to touch me)
Yes, I take PP
SlumberMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can get a titer of your level and then go from there. That way you can expose if you can and not worry.

ANd if anyone flames you for your choice, let me at them!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberMomma View Post

If I understand your OP correctly, you WANT your ds to get CP, so I say take him to grandma and have him rub all over her (as long as it's not painful for her...I had shingles when I was 17 and it was very painful for someone to touch me)
Yeah, we want him to get them naturally, no vaccine. As for mom- she says that they itch more than anything- don't really hurt- so I quess she is lucky that way.

My SIL is taking both of her boys over tomorrow for a pox party, I am... a bit jealous. I might just have to talk to my MW and see what she says- who know, we might see mom later this week.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ANd if anyone flames you for your choice, let me at them![/QUOTE]

Thanks mama!