Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Anyone have a toddler with a heart murmur?

My ds last saw the Ped at his 2 yr check up. He will be 3 in April. But, since birth, they have sometimes heard a slight murmur. They always say it is no big deal, he'll grow out of it. But, what age? And, is that really true- nothing to worry about?

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a toddler with a heart murmur?

I don't worry. My 3rd had a murmur at birth and we had an EKG and Echocardiagram. We've done it twice more (he's two). The doc doesn't hear it any more and the EKGs are normal.
The echo showed a patent ductus arteriosis and a small ventricular septal defect. Both seem to have resolved.
I think if it was going to be a problem for your LO, you would know by now. Some people always have the sound - my dad does. It has never kept him from doing anything or made him sick. In fact, I never knew it until my LO had it and he told me to make me feel better.
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, my oldest outgrew his somtime between 6 and 10.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
jdeemarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We discovered a heart murmur on my toddler when he was just 2 weeks old. They did an extensive evaluation, including echocardiograms and ultrasound. They discovered that he actually has two holes in his heart but neither of them is close to a valve, so they are not dangerous. The pediatric cardiologist said that it would probably resolve on it's own by kindergarten. If my son still has the heart murmur when he hits kindergarten we'll reevaluate and consider "fixing" the murmur.

We just listen for the murmur at each regularly scheduled check-up. Although one of the pediatricians who saw DS recently recommended annual echoes, we decided that the cardiologist better understood the condition. If the cardiologist isn't worried about it, then neither are we.

Have they done any evaluations on the murmur to check location and size?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
MelissaNCgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom was told that I had a heart murmur when I was little. Doc said it was no big deal and I might outgrow it. I think they maybe did some tests or something, but determined nothing needed to be done. Honestly, it's never given me one single problem. I'm 36 yrs old now. Every now and then I'll encounter a doctor who notices it, but most don't even notice. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Mine never effected me in the least.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd just turned 4 and she still has her murmur. The doctor says it's pretty loud, but nothing to worry about.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure its diagnosed to what kind of murmur your LO has. If its in the valve ( esp the mitral valve) then there are a few minor precautions you would need to take for dental work. My sister was born with a murmur and it didnt cause her an issuee till she was 32 then she had it repaired.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I feel better.

They have never done any tests or anything and never suggested doing any. I will ask about in April at the Ped.