Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
argecash
Registered Users

1st Birthday Gifts?

My LO is turning one soon and people are asking what to buy him. I don't reallly know what he will need in the coming months. I already asked for a push toy for learning to walk. What else will he need?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1st Birthday Gifts?

Books, you can never have enough of those. But actually they do not need a lot of gifts when they turn one, they do not get the concept. We got money for ds savings account from most family members.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I second the suggestion of books. We asked that people pool their money together and get ds one of those outside climber things. We finally live in a place with a yard and he loves to climb on stuff. Someone got us this pop-up play tunnel thing that folds flat for storage. I think it came from Target. He really likes that too. I asked for one of those Leap Frog fridge magnet sets but we didn't get one. I think it would make cooking dinner infinitely easier though.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
jujusmommy
Registered Users
Formerly: catherine**ne

My Mood:

I have been asking people to give her money for her savings. Our daughter has plenty of everything. Now my mom always gives her things she will keep as heirlooms...when she was born she got a wooden high chair, her first Christmas she got a wooden rocking horse and her first birthday she got a wooden rocking chair. I don't mind things like that. They are special gifts and not commercialized. I would just ask people to put give $ for her savings for college. That's what we are focusing on. Books are nice, but it is also hard to judge what books people already have.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
LandonsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The crawling tunnels are a HUGE hit in our house! We got the kids this for Christmas http://www.schylling.com/mm5/merchan...ory_Code=PP-PT We don't get the tent parts out to often but the tunnel is used daily. DS uses it for a basketball hoop, DD crawls through it, stands inside it and walks (with it upright), they are constantly finding something new to use it for.

DD's first birthday is one week from today We got her a couple of the jumbo Melissa and Doug puzzles (great price here! www.kidsurplus.com) and some books. We asked for gift certificates for our favorite WAHMs and for wool yarn. Summer wool is the only thing she really NEEDS. We have tons of toys already so we asked everyone to limit toys if they planned on buying something. I have a bag of fleece scraps (selvages mostly) and she prances around the house using those as scarves/necklaces, so I've crocheted her a daisy chain necklace/scarf, and I'm crocheting a headband and a cell phone case for her toy cell :eyeroll: We are got her some kids' music CDs as well. Ahh, she's waking up gotta run-

LandonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
EmilyLTD
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking about this too the other day. I was thinking a baby swing to hang from the tree would be nice for the summer, since this is our first and she is too little for a full swing set yet.

For those of you that are requesting money or non-commerical toys/gifts, how do you bring that up with family? My inlaws get touchy when I tell them what to buy and will not give money. Even my mom who I thought was on board with the non obnoxious/loud/plastic/crap toys still bought them for DD for Christmas.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
___Krystal_
Registered Users

My Mood:

Toys for his age range. Clothes! you can never have too many.
___Krystal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son will be one a little before yours so we're trying to figure out the same thing!

The push toys are great. DS got one for Christmas and it was a HUGE hit as he was first learning to walk. Now he just uses it to try to climb onto higher things! haha

We're thinking about getting him a sandbox or maybe some sort of wagon to car to push him around in outside.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
jujusmommy
Registered Users
Formerly: catherine**ne

My Mood:

Well, my parents are all into saving, so they just go along with it. And I think they also see the importance of our children having savings accounts!