Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: co-sleeping mamas...

19 months here, and he wakes every few hours to nurse. It's normal

Advertisement

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I coslept with my DS until he was 10 months old. He would start out in his own bed but wake up as soon as I came to bed, then nurse on and off all night long. He was nursing so much I was having to change his full diaper in the middle of the night.

The month before I transitioned him to his own bed at 10 months, I started keeping myself awake to put the food source under wraps and only allowed him to nurse every 2 hours, then every 2.5, then every 3, then he was only nursing once a night when I put him in his own room, in his own bed. I lost a lot of sleep during the transition but it was worth it in the end.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
Monzie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
What kind of lovey worked for you?
The one I mentioned in my signature is a Kaloo "Doudou"...a square of soft microfiber chenille with knots in the corners and a floppy-eared bunny head on on side. It was little enough for baby hands to grasp and very soft (or at least it used to be). He used to just smoosh his face into it....but since he's started teething, he actually gnaws on it (which is why I need to find another one ASAP, because he's literally chewing this one to pieces).

Oh, and when he started to go through that really squirmy/grabby phase when he was nursing, I started letting him hold his lovey while he was on the boob and it solved that problem too. As soon as he had something familiar to hold, he quit flailing his arms around and smacking me. Yay!

We lucked out and found a lovey that he liked immediately, but you might need to try a few things before you find the perfect item. Some babies will happily snuggle a prefold. Some choose a stuffed animal. My sister and I both had receiving blankets that we dragged around until we were teenagers. (Seriously!) Try different stuff you have around the house. And it might help if you tried something small that you could stuff into your bra for a few hours, so it smells like your baby's favorite thing.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
ericandash
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice mamas! I actually hadn't thought about offering a different lovey! I will try some different things and she what she likes