View Poll Results: Should I change the spelling (but NOT pronounciation!) or not?
Yes! 22 23.66%
No! 58 62.37%
Other! 13 13.98%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

Re: So I want to change DD's name...

what about rowenna?

i would pronounce that the way you say.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #22
jennyz123
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say don't change it. To give you another perspective, my name is Jennifer. Nobody ever mispronounces it, but when someone calls out "Jennifer" there are usually several of us who respond. I love her unique name and I agree with the other posters who say to leave it since that is how you originally chose to spell it for her. Either way, I'm sure it will be fine!

p.s. My dh's name is Daniele (pronounced like Danielle-A (hard A)). He is a guy. People always think they are calling for a girl. We just correct them and smile.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
KobeeJacknGradysMama
Lovin' My Baby Boys
seller

My Mood:

i say keep it. it's the name u originally chose so it's got a special meaning even if it's pronounced wrong. my name is ALWAYS pronounced wrong...when i was younger it did bother me a bit but now that i'm older i love that it is spelled different
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #24
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say keep the spelling. People are always going to mispronounce the name even if it seems very obvious. So you'll just be frustrated all over again. I baby sat a girl whose parents changed the spelling of her name when she was about 4 months old because people kept mispronouncing it and low and behold - people still mispronounced it.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
Jadedone80
Registered Users
seller

Change it now or it will be so much harder later.

It's so much easier to change you LO's name before 12months in most states because it is considered a "correction" vs. a legal name change after 1yo.
Jadedone80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
ericandash
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say change it if you want to! I like Rowenna better than Rowehna personally, and I think that the spelling Rowehna is unusual enough that it will probably get as mispronounced as Rouena, if not more! What if you just did Rouenna? Anyway you spell it, it is so beautiful!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that people will mispronounce it no matter what. I like the current spelling and say don't change it.

Our DS will likely hate us for his name when he's older. (I hope not, but...) It's spelled Rickson, however the R is pronounced as an H, so it's "Hickson". DH insisted on using the Portuguese spelling (we're NOT Portuguese) and we agreed that when he got old enough to care he could do as he liked - let people call him Rickson (which they already do at placed like the Dr's office), or spell his name Hickson on anything not a legal document. Poor kid. It'll make him memorable if nothing else. LOL!! I always feel bad for the nurses or whatnot when they ask his name and I say, "Hickson, R-I-C-K-S-O-N." What they heard doesn't match up with what they've written/typed and it screws them all up. ^_^

Let her be proud of the name Mommy and Daddy chose for her especially!

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial

Last edited by Rebeldream; 02-16-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I legally changed the spelling of my name and people still mispronounce it. Not as bad though
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #29
katt
Registered Users

I agree with the PP who said if you aren't going to use the traditional spelling, then keep it as it is. FWIW, I'd mess up the spelling you chose but, get it correct w/ the trad. spelling. different people, different pronunciations.

Rebeldream- Did you name him after Rickson Gracie? 'cause if you know anyone who knows of the Gracie family they'll probably get the name correct. Royce and Rickson are two the most famous Jui Jitsu martial artists out there.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #30
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post
Rebeldream- Did you name him after Rickson Gracie? 'cause if you know anyone who knows of the Gracie family they'll probably get the name correct. Royce and Rickson are two the most famous Jui Jitsu martial artists out there.
That's exactly why DH chose the name! Thank you! We've had a handful of people "get it" (as you just did) so I'm hoping that redeems DS on all the people who won't. It's a name to be proud of and hopefully he will be!

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote