Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
AshB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is this normal?

Hi everyone, my little guy was born on thursday and my milk is just coming in. He's been nursing really well, I'm pretty sure we're positioned well and he latches well, but I'm new to this too, so not sure, but we did see and get some tips from the LC in the hospital. Anyway, my nipples hurt so bad when he first latches on, it goes away in a couple minutes, or at least I'm not as sensitive to it after a few minutes. They are very red, and also my breasts seem really hot. Are all of these things normal?

Advertisement

AshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Lily's Mamma
Registered Users
Formerly: katie_guido
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this normal?

Consider yourself lucky that it goes away after a few minutes! When dd was getting started I was cracked and bleeding and it was agonizing through the whole thing every time she ate . It is normal to have a bit of discomfort in the beginning and it should go away as you both get more used to nursing. Congratulations mamma!!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
MommyOj
Registered Users

This is totally normal. You can go to any drugstore and get a product called "soothies". You put 'em in the freezer and then stick them in your bra next to your breasts right after baby is done nursing. It will help the soreness. I also reccomend lansino (which you can buy at target) which you rub on when babe is done.

The pain should go away within a week or two. Just curl your toes when babe latches on and know that it won't be forever.
MommyOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is normal to have pain at the beginning of a latch when you are first starting out. As for the red and hot part, I would wait a few days to see if it goes away. If you are not having any other discomfort than just when just latching on, then I wouldn't worry, however feverish breasts can be a symptom of mastitas, but you will get really sick in other ways if it is mastitas. Good luck!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

my breasts felt hot when my milk frist came in both times.. (for several days to a week?) the pain also sounds normal, though if it gets worse or there is cracking or bleeding in addition to the redness i'd head back to the LC to be sure ..
Old 02-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah you def. dont want mastitis. If you feel feverish at all, when you arent nursing, and your breasts feel hot when not nursing and they look pink, I'd call your doctor.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Dont go this on your own! Support will help, help you feel normal, help you know you are doing it right, and help you if anything is wrong. Call your local La Leche League or the LC from the hospital and ask go see someone. BFing is not always easy, and sometimes it just takes some good support to get you through the hard times. Good luck and good work!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
3GirlieMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: YoliMama
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like everything is okay, but if the hotness persists and you feel concerned about it, I agree about checking with a LLL person.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd watch the 'hot' thing - I seem to recall that this may be associated with mastitis.

As for the nipple pain - brace yourself mama, and breathe deeply, no way around that one...but know that it will soon go away.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

The pain at latch is totally normal. Even though we have finally gotten the latch right I still feel some discomfort at latch. It will get better, though. I don't feel like I need to scream now. LOL!!!

I would watch the hotness of the breast. Could be a sign of mastitis. You'll want to get a handle on that quick.

Good luck, mama, and congratulations!!!!