Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Sleep and BF suggestions??

So DD is 11.5 months old now and BF has never been an issue. I love BF, but I have found myself to be completely exhausted almost all of the time now. We bedshare, and on a "good" night DD wakes 2-3 times which is fine with me. On a bad night, which occur about 50% of the time she wakes up more than 5 times. Last night she was up 8 times. She doesn't want to fall back asleep without a boob in her mouth. I am home with her all day, but I work in the evenings when DH gets home. I felt really frustrated last night, and I don't want to feel that way but I don't know what to do. I love BF and Co-sleeping, but I feel like something has got to give. I don't know if I should try and night wean, I don't even know how to go about doing that. Or maybe consider putting DD in her own room. DH seems to wake her up with his snoring and shifting in his sleep so maybe she would sleep better. I just don't know what to do! Suggestions??

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
neli_k
Registered Users

Re: Sleep and BF suggestions??

I find myself frustrated at times too. I've found that these periods of heavy night nursing come and go. If you pay close attention, you can probably align these bad nights with growth spurts, teething, etc. Your baby is not out to make your nights miserable on purpose. She just needs you that particular night a little more than others. Since you co-sleep, are you able to fall back asleep doing after you latch her on in side-line position? While I don't get the most satisfying sleep in that position, I do get some, which is better than nothing. Also, sometimes try to just rub her back, or cuddle her...and see if that's sufficient enough. I know with my oldest one, when she was around 1.5 and 2 I would let her latch on for a minute then say it's all gone and that it's now time to cuddle. Of course an 11-month-old is harder to convince to give up the breast, but I want to give you an idea that this will not go on forever, and that you don't have to night wean either.

Good luck!

Neli
neli_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Neli! I have been thinking she may be going through a growth spurt lately. I do just need to keep telling myself it is temporary. I just hate the feeling of being so frustrated, I know she is only little now and someday I'll really miss her being little. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh Mama I'm right there with you! My DD is 11mo and is a "constant" night nurser. We co-sleep too. Some nights my nipples are sore from her just staying latched. I feel like a Mama paci.... I know she is going through a growth spurt, she is figuring out walking and teething all at the same time so she has a lot of stuff going on. But dang, when I do get to sleep (all 45 mis of it at a time), I literally dream of 8 hours of uninterupted sleep! I think after her birthday I am going to work on night weaning her so I can sleep. To me it sounds so selfish to night wean, but I know that I will be a better, less stressed, less exhausted Mama if I can get even 4 hours of sleep at a whack.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my DD was 8 months I ended up putting her in another room for this same reason. She would suck on me all night if she was in bed with me, but without smelling me and hearing me stir she would sleep for like 5 hours. Then I would bring her in bed and nurse and finish the night there. It did require getting up to get her, and I did feel sad not having her in bed with me all the time, but it really worked, and we both got better sleep.

This time around (DS is 3 months) I find myself sneaking out of bed and sleeping with DD or in the guest room for a couple of hours. DS doesn't really notice, sleeps soundly without me next to him, and I get some uninterrupted sleep for a least a couple of hours. Otherwise, I'm the human paci and it gets annoying. I climb back into bed with DS and DH for the first feeding and usually end up staying there.

Good luck mama! Hang in there.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
sagefemme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recently read the book "no cry sleep solution" and it sounds like lots of mamas deal with this sleep pattern, and if you want some ideas to get babe to sleep longer stretches (the theory is, she's having brief awakenings and can fall back asleep without nursing) you might get it from the library or something. Ours is only six weeks, so she really does need to eat that often, but the older ones are sometimes nursing out of habit? Best wishes, however you approach it.
sagefemme is offline   Reply With Quote