Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am tired and frustrated

Thank you Michele for the help. I can only wonder how you survive with 2 sets of twins and 3 older children. I figure if you can do it then I can too! Things are getting better. Its funny, I think the twins have switched places b/c Riley used to not sleep as well and Jonathan would now it's reversed! I don't mind as Jonathan is more laid back than Riley so when Jon is up, it's still quiet and he just hangs out either in the bouncy seat or sling. Jon just likes to hang out and check out his surroundings. Makes it easier for me.
I still haven't been able to take naps yet. I am getting used to that. I just try and get more sleep at night. Going to bed earlier helps. I have also found that if I eat little meals thru the day instead of breakfast and then lunch, I am not scrounging for food just as someone wakes up wanting to eat. My fav snack right now is whole wheat crackers with Laughing Cow cheese. Oh, and a glass of water next to me at all times.
I am glad I can post my frustrations here and be heard and get some positive feedback and advice. I appreciate that!

Thanks mamas

Advertisement

starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am tired and frustrated

I think I could of written your first post word for word when my twins were just under 2 months. I had a 2.5 year old at that time too.

The hubby letting them cry (simply because it doesn't rattle his nerves - wish it could be easy for us too) agitated me to no end. I finally asked DH to take them for a walk - outside of the house. I couldn't be bothered with bundling them up... so we stuffed soft warm blankets behind them and swaddled them in their miracle blankets (and hats) and I shove him out the door. I just needed 30 minutes without kid noises. The toddler was usually dropped off with the neighbor kid or out with dad at this time.

Also, my Grace's cry was/is the hardest for me to listen too. Not because I feel sorry for her - but because I know it is a simple thing she needs but I just can't muster up the energy to do it. And her pitch is ear piercing. I found "wearing" her to be a life saver. I have a Beco Butterfly and maya sling. Even the Bjorn was great. She just needed to be worn and oh my it helped keep her quiet. See if DH will wear one of the babies when he gets home at night (I suggest Bjorn for dad).

Also, until they go to bed earlier in the day - I suggest trying to take the twins for a walk around 7 or 7:30 and let DH take care of DS. The fresh air will help you and the babies sleep better. Even a 15 minute walk. Again skip the gloves, shoes, buntings, coats - and just swaddled them and tuck blankets around them... make it as quick and easy to access your stroller and the door.

Tell DH the most helpful thing for you at the moment. If it is to console a baby so he doesn't cry... say, "honey, please just help Baby not to cry... I need a few moments without crying in the house". or, "can you take him outside or upstairs until he calms down".

I often had a friend or family member with me at least 4 hours a day for the first 2 to 3 months... I would have lost it otherwise. Seriously, the neighbor boy (11 years old LOVED to play with my toddler and he would come straight over after school for an hour or two... it was free and so helpful, because 4 to 6 pm was the hardest part of the day for me).

I found the shower to be a safe and relaxing place to scream or cry or just let the hot water pound my back for 15 minutes. I sent my toddler to parents, friends or neighbors houses 3 times a week (sometimes it was only an hour or two and other days - it was overnight).

Sanity came when the twins finally starting going to sleep before 9pm. In the beginning we always put the toddler to bed first and then the twins. My hubby became the sole evening person for my DD and they have an incredible bond because of it. Now (starting around 8 months) we put the twins to bed first and then the toddler and everyone is in bed by 7:30pm... life is SO MUCH easier. It's awesome to have an end in sight for the end of the day.

Sorry for the ramble - but I'm sure you can relate to a twin momma's "mommy brain"!