Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
guide me... going organic..

So i have decided that my family wil be going organic in January. which means, i have to cook I am doing this because i really want to have another baby, and hopefully i will next year. BUT i need to get all ofthese horrid toxins out of my body, I was reading some horrible stuffa bout anything that is processed and not in its origional form. so we are done... I have a freezer full of food though, so i wont be making the big switch until that is all gone. So what do i eat.
The plan that is in my fertily book says, red meat no more than once a week. and red meat to them is pork, bacon, hamburger, anything that is smoked.. Also it says to eat fish 2 times a week, but where do you get organic fish??
I know to eat alot of veggies and this will be no big deal for me or my kids, but hubby is a farm boy LOL> meat and taters...

any ideas, or any great book on the subject. I am open to anything... I hate cooking so i need easy recips..

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: guide me... going organic..

I dont eat red meats/pork, so I dont know about those, but I buy springer farms chicken... it is hormone/antibiotic free.... i know there are some frozen sausages and stuff in the freezer section, but i dont know what brand they are... do u have a publix or a local co-op?? here is a list of foods that you should always try to buy organic http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Con...optobuyorg.htm Organic stuff SERIOUSLY tastes sooo much better!! There are all sorts of crackers and deserts now that are organic... morningstar farms makes a lot of stuff as does Quorn. Quorn has fake chicken products.... they make one that is a fake chicken patty w/ cheese that is DELICIOUS and black bean burgers from morningstar farms are so tasty w/ melted cheese, tomato and onion on a bagel....mmmm... my kids and husband like their veggie dogs too... fresh market also sells lots of organic stuff....
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank uyou. I really am just trying to plan ahead, and when i am buying fresh stuff now i am buying organic. I have alot of frozen stuff now, but i really want to get away from that as much as ai can and actaully cook from scratch. You know in all my free time LOL..

Thanks for the list. that is helpful!!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Uhmmm.....just a thought here....

Buying organic is much more expensive, we can't afford it so I stick to buying "healthy" instead. Depending on where you live, organic may not be easy to find. You may want to make the switch to organic slowly and work more on your cooking and diet changes right now and becoming healthy.

I get as much veggies and fruit as I can, we eat mainly white chicken, some read meat and fish. I use olive oil and coconut oil. Usually butter, but some margarine. We have switched to brown rice (takes much longer to cook!) and whole-wheat flour and pasta (tastes good!)

If you are interested in doing a cleanse, you might want to check this out. I havn't done it (I'm BFing and will be for awhile!) but my friend has: http://welltellme.com/discuss/index....ic,2570.0.html

I just don't want to you get too overwhelmed here! I don't know what your eating habits are now, but if you don't cook much.....

Good luck, with it all!!

Misty

Oh, A funny, last night I fixed fried potatoes with hamburger and corn in it with salad, one of DH's favorites that we rarely have! He smarted off "Now this is healthy food!" I said, well, it is cooked in cocnut oil" He laughed and said "I knew there had to be something healthy in there!"
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
wass726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you can't find organic - choose local produce. another ooption - mostly for dry goods is kosher foods.

do you have farms anywhere near you? we buy our beef and chicken from a local farm that does not use pesticides.

I don't know of organic salmon, but it is really important to choose wild (not farm raised) salmon, due to mercury issues.

if you have a trader joe's near you they have great prices on organics.

enjoy- the food tastes better!!!
wass726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
wass726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to mention CSA farms. Community Supported Agriculture. You can google CSA farms and put in your state to see if there are any near you. you basically buy a share from the farm for a low cost and get weeks worth of fresh produce throughout the growing season. many are ceritfied organic or follow organic growing practices.
sometimes you have to drive to pick up some farms deliver closer to major city centers.

we paid around $20 per week for lots of fresh organic produce for about 20 weeks from spring until fall. totally great deal and healthy. plus you help a farmer have an income and keep the money local!
wass726 is offline   Reply With Quote