Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Need some Ideas please mamas

Ok so as most of you have seen by now my son seems to have an issue with dairy. We have him on pedisure since he can take that and be fine. But my thing is I've tired organic whole milk and he refused it. We are getting goats milk to try on Thursday. My question is what if he won't take it? I'm wondering if he's not refusing the other forms of dairy because they aren't flavored like the pedisure. So if I try to get him to take that, how long do I only give him the sippy with the milk in it? I mean how long should I not offer juice in the milks place. I want him to drink milk but I don't know how long to actually fight him with not giving him anything else. How long is ok?? Should I just go off his diapers? Thanks for all the advise mama's. I'm hoping and knowing you all can help me! Oh and would you say to try regular milk again (he would throw up and have bad diapers) or just stick to my goats milk if he can take it?

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
dachshundqueen
Registered Users

Re: Need some Ideas please mamas

If he's throwing up from dairy, by all means, quit feeding it to him. Yes follow his dipes.

When our kids were off dairy, we didn't offer any dairy. We just offered lots of foods that were high in calcium. We also offered liquid magnesium calcium citrate which is bioavailable and also available in most health food stores.

If he can't tolerate goat's milk, then I would simply make more of an effort to provide other calcium rich foods.

We went through this with both of our children, and I can't tolerate milk very much at all. I wouldn't offer juice at all, especially if you're having a hard time getting the fat/protein/calcium that dairy products provide because it has very little nutritional bang for the amount of tummy room it takes up.

You could try to put calcium rich foods in a smoothie made with bananas, coconut milk, rice protein, and kale. Put it in an opaque sippy cup with a straw though.

Liz

Last edited by dachshundqueen; 02-17-2009 at 01:21 PM.
dachshundqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
If he's throwing up from dairy, by all means, quit feeding it to him. Yes follow his dipes.

When our kids were off dairy, we didn't offer any dairy. We just offered lots of foods that were high in calcium. We also offered liquid magnesium calcium citrate which is bioavailable and also available in most health food stores.

If he can't tolerate goat's milk, then I would simply make more of an effort to provide other calcium rich foods.

We went through this with both of our children, and I can't tolerate milk very much at all. I wouldn't offer juice at all, especially if you're having a hard time getting the fat/protein/calcium that dairy products provide because it has very little nutritional bang for the amount of tummy room it takes up.

You could try to put calcium rich foods in a smoothie made with bananas, coconut milk, rice protein, and kale. Put it in an opaque sippy cup with a straw though.

Liz
Well right now he's not getting not ANY dairy. He can eat foods with milk in them... to a certain point. I make sure he's got veggies at least every other day. He's also having either a soy yogart or a pedisure a day. So I know he's getting some. The juice he does get is 3/4 water and 1/4 juice. I water it down big time!! I'm just worried about taking the juice away untill he drinks some kind of plain milk. My worry is he's just not taking milks because it's not sweet like pedisure or juice. If that make sense.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you serious.... no one has any ideas besides one person?!?!?!... riiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is exactly what worries me about juice. I don't want my son getting used to sweet stuff in his sippy. Have you ever tried almond milk? They come sweetened or not and even in vanilla. You could start with the sweetened ones then slowly wean to not sweetened vanilla flavor if that is like the pediasure. I find it at the store in the baking isle. I also wonder if you added a dash of natural vanilla flavoring to the raw or goat milk if he would go for it? Not sure where you would buy that but maybe a health food store? Hey maybe even one of those flavored soy vanilla protein beverage powders added to almond or goat milk just a little for the flavoring. Sounds like it is the flavoring he is after and a little sweetness. At least at a health food store you could find one with all natural ingredients in it. Eventually you could put less and less until he likes regular milk? Good luck!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
SarahOxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelzbird View Post
This is exactly what worries me about juice. I don't want my son getting used to sweet stuff in his sippy. Have you ever tried almond milk? They come sweetened or not and even in vanilla. You could start with the sweetened ones then slowly wean to not sweetened vanilla flavor if that is like the pediasure. I find it at the store in the baking isle. I also wonder if you added a dash of natural vanilla flavoring to the raw or goat milk if he would go for it? Not sure where you would buy that but maybe a health food store? Hey maybe even one of those flavored soy vanilla protein beverage powders added to almond or goat milk just a little for the flavoring. Sounds like it is the flavoring he is after and a little sweetness. At least at a health food store you could find one with all natural ingredients in it. Eventually you could put less and less until he likes regular milk? Good luck!
OMG WOW this is a great idea!! I'll have to get the goats milk and look for some natural flavoring. I'm not sure if it's the sweet or the flavor in general. I know with the pediasure he gets vanilla flavor so this just might work!! And he won't be going on regular mik ever I don't think. It doesn't sit well with him. But thank you for this!!!