Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what is your fave somewhat healthy cookie recipe

when i want a cookie at least maybe it can have lots of fibre, oatmeal, craisions etc/ flax . what do you add to your cookies or what is your fave cookie recipe? then i wont feel so bad giving it to the kids and myself!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: what is your fave somewhat healthy cookie recipe

Crunchy Cookies!
My kids luv them, and I don't feel terrible about it... It's based on an old cookbook recipe, but I changed up some of the ingredients to make it healthier. Please note, there are no eggs in this recipe. I didn't forget... the flax mixture replaces it, and makes it so that you can safely eat the dough if you get impatient. Which happens here often Enjoy!

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease or put parchment on a cookie sheet.

In a small bowl, whip 1 Tbsp flax seed meal with 3 Tbsp water until thick and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together:

1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup shortening (I use a non-hydrogenated kind)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat in the flax seed mixture making sure the two mixtures are well combined. Then mix in:

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (if you need, you can sub all purpose, the wwp is just my preference)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal (old fashioned or quick- NOT instant)
1 cup wheat germ
1/4-1/2 c chocolate chips (Just add however much seems good to you. My sis always complains that I don't put enough, but I like cookies with a hint of chocolate, she seems to like chocolate with a hint of cookies. I bet she'd put a whole cup! )
1 1/2 cups Uncle Sam Cereal (rolled whole wheat with flax)

Roll into walnut-size balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mm those sound good! but i dont know what uncle sams cereal is. do you think we have it up here? is it in organic section?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh gosh! I didn't even see that you were in BC until just now when I saw you'd asked about the cereal. sorry!! I don't think it's available in Canada. All it contains is rolled whole wheat berry flakes, whole flax seeds, a little barley malt to sweeten it, a little salt and some b vitamins for good measure. I suppose you could use whatever kind of cereal flakes you like... or maybe ones you don't like but think are healthy? I really think that would work... breakfast cereal flakes. Yeah. Do I sound confident? Cos I'm tryin' to... LOL
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL sure sure you do!! i think i'll try them with what i can findup here. maybe i'll go to a health food store and check it out. thanks again!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make a yummy oatmeal carrot cookie!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Housepoet's lactation oatmeal cookies recipe here: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ad.php?t=29207

It has thick rolled oats, flaxseed meal and brewers yeast in it, all of which are supposed to be really good for you and has chocolate chips in it, and tastes fantastic.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
bezmommy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just going to recommend lactation cookies too! My husband and son love them I use whole wheat flour and increase the flax a little and double the brewer's yeast. Raisins could be added too, but I don't like them in mine.
bezmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezmommy1 View Post
I was just going to recommend lactation cookies too! My husband and son love them I use whole wheat flour and increase the flax a little and double the brewer's yeast. Raisins could be added too, but I don't like them in mine.
I agree with the raisins. I personally like oatmeal rasin cookies and generally don't like chocolate, so the first time I made these, I made half a batch with raisins and half a batch with white chocolate chips and I didn't like the raisins as much as the chocolate chips Not sure why, but for some reason the chocolate chips tasted a LOT better to me. . .
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
slwat7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make these cookies and we almost always have them all the time! They are FANTASTIC!! My kids, DH and I just gobble them up!! Lots of fiber and yumminess!!

1 cup oats
1 1/2 cups white wheat flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Combine these ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream: ( I use my stand mixer, but a hand mixer will work fine too!)

1 stick butter
1 container stage 2 gerber baby food prunes w/apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar

Add:

2 whole eggs OR 3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter

Blend well. Add dry ingredients until combined. Add 1 bag hershey's dark chocolate chips. Mix well.

Bake at 375 for 9-10 minutes.

These are awesome with coffee and sometimes my kids do get them for breakfast. Beats a pop tart!