Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Brown rice secrets

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had some secrets on how to cook brown rice perfectly. I feel like I have to cook it way longer than white and end up not having enough water too What is a good ratio or rice to water. Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
BumbleBear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Brown rice secrets

There are so many different types of brown rice (I prefer Basmati myself) that I find it best to follow package directions for water amounts and cooking times.

Most brown rices take 45 minutes to an hour to cook, but IMO it's worth the wait, they are so much more flavorful.
BumbleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I honestly don't know... I just did 1 cup rice to 2.25 cups water and it came out light and fluffy, but the texture is like... I dunno - weird? LOL. Its like the inside is overcooked but the outside is just right.

It made good avocado sushi though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miabean View Post
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had some secrets on how to cook brown rice perfectly. I feel like I have to cook it way longer than white and end up not having enough water too What is a good ratio or rice to water. Thanks everyone!
wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do 1:2 ratio of rice to water, and find that it almost never hurts to add a little more water. You can always cook it a little longer (very low flame) to let the water absorb. Also if at the end of cooking your rice is too dry, add a little splash of water and let it steam a little longer.

Also, turn it down ALL the way and do NOT open the lid until 45-60 minutes have passed. I've left rice on accidentally for much longer but because I usually use plenty of water it came out perfectly.

Last thing (yes I do cook a lot of brown rice)- the different grains matter. Short grain naturally is fluffier and softer, long grain a little more hard and dry but better for stir fries and sauces and that type of thing. I always buy short grain, in bulk, because I like its texture and it's more forgiving with the cooking process IMO.

Last edited by viettasgirl; 02-18-2009 at 11:59 PM.
viettasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually just follow what the bag says but I usually have to add more water and let it cook longer. I hate cooking brown rice but I know it's better for you so I keep trying. HA
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
smartie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use a rice cooker and it turns out fab. There are some types of brown rice that are easy cooking, I find them at my asian market. When I get home I will get the name of the type of rice.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I buy in bulk too, so there are no package directions, but I will use your suggestions! I think I just need to let it cook longer!

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

I use a 1:2 ratio for rice to water. I let it just barely reach a boil and then I turn it down really low (with the lid on). I don't touch the lid for 40 minutes. This seems to help immensely.

One trick too--add extra water and simply strain the rice when it's done (like you do pasta). It can really help if you are having issues controlling the temp and having to add water at the end.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
twogirlsplusbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

I micro it in a large covered pyrex. Mix is 2:1 plus a bit more water. I cook for about 10 minutes at full power and then another 20ish at half power. Works better than the stove. It may boil over if your dish isn't large enough. Often I'll replace the water with stock or just throw in a bouillon cube or some spices to flavor it up some.
twogirlsplusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
maliroo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a tip : as it takes SO long to cook I always make extra then freeze it in portions
maliroo is offline   Reply With Quote