Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
EBF for 1 year causes swallowing issues?

We went to the new pedi today and I liked him except he really pushed to have me start feeding DD (6.5 months) solids 2-3 times per day.

He claimed that his niece was EBF too long (didn't say how long) and apparently needed tons of therapy (PT AND OT according to him) to learn to swallow.

So, I told him I'd be doing what I felt was best (EBF) and told him I've seen no difficulties with her swallowing at all (she's had some solids occasionally, and has far better control of the get-the-spoon-in-her-mouth/food-off-the-spoon/swallow thing down better than babies older than her) and he dropped it (which I consider a positive mark, because he respected me).

Anyway, I've read a LOT about EBF... but never this. Anyone else hear something similar?

Advertisement

wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBF for 1 year causes swallowing issues?

ridiculous, DD EBF'd until she was 15mo and had no issues what so ever.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

my doc just told me today to EBF for the rest of the first year (Shae's had solids maybe twice a week or so for a couple of weeks) and to continue to make the majority of her diet BM until 2....

different schools? lol
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
bellydancer1973
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never have I heard such a thing. I have, however, heard of kids with a very sensitive gag reflex or whatever. Besides, one incident does not make scientific data. I'm glad to hear he dropped the issue. Sounds like your little one is just fine.

IHA:3 Mutts still available. If you don't like my price, make me an offer!
bellydancer1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
mayamason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What....like BF babies don't still have to swallow? Where does he think the milk goes?

FWIW - My DD just finished PT/OT therapy for swallowing. And it was a muscle/coordination issue that has been there since birth (i.e. if there was an issue with your DD, you'd know it already) - it was NOT a result of BFing. Several lactation consultants mentioned that it was a GOOD thing she was BFing because it slowed her rate of consumption and was easier for her to control the flow than a bottle or sippy, which could easily cause her to choke. I think the idea that BF would create a swallowing issue is ridiculous.

Last edited by mayamason; 02-17-2009 at 08:48 PM.
mayamason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Never heard of it. Makes me wonder why a doc would come to that conclusion anyways?? Seems ridiculous and "gossipy".
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL! Yeah, I thought that later on. What can I say, I'm a little slow on the comebacks.

I really appreciate you sharing about your DD's PT/OT. I was thinking that if something like that occurred it was more likely to be a pre-existing condition that didn't become apparent until later on because of the EBF, not caused by the EBF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamason View Post
What....like BF babies don't still have to swallow? Where does he think the milk goes?

FWIW - My DD just finished PT/OT therapy for swallowing. And it was a muscle/coordination issue that has been there since birth (i.e. if there was an issue with your DD, you'd know it already) - it was NOT a result of BFing. Several lactation consultants mentioned that it was a GOOD thing she was BFing because it slowed her rate of consumption and was easier for her to control the flow than a bottle or sippy, which could easily cause her to choke. I think the idea that BF would create a swallowing issue is ridiculous.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, really! I guess it isn't that bad as it is really hard to find a doc okay with No-Vax and Attachment Parenting - I guess getting one supportive of EBF too was not in the cards. At least WIC is supportive of it (actually, they were downright ecstatic, they even gave me a personal dual electric pump to keep me at it).

DD does have solids occasionally - more out of my desire to satisfy her curiosity than anything else. She gets them maybe once every two weeks, if that. She adores spoon feeding herself and so far all my attempts at breastmilk yogurt have failed quite miserably (I'm trying to avoid using cows milk so cultures are out and while it gets yogurty smelling it doesn't get thick, which kind of defeats the purpose YKWIM?) so she gets organic avocado as it is the only thing she doesn't have a stuffy nose after.

It is just sooooo much easier to BF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh3699 View Post
my doc just told me today to EBF for the rest of the first year (Shae's had solids maybe twice a week or so for a couple of weeks) and to continue to make the majority of her diet BM until 2....

different schools? lol

Last edited by wiredpsyche; 02-17-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
MamaF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS had no solids at all until 8 months b/c of DD had issues with food..Then he had his own issues and by 11months was back to BM only and NO solids b/c solids caused him to stop growing and lose weight. It wasn't until he was 18months that he was getting more than 2 or 3 meals a week of solids. The GI, nutrionist, allergist, and his Dr. all said that as long as he was growing and gaining weight with BM only they weren't going to worry about that and make us switch to special formula. (they concentrated on finding out what was wrong with him), but they also said that BM ONLY till 12 months was totally fine and not to worry and past that there's not much data, but if he was growing and developing than there wasn't a problem.

The only issue he has is that he swallows his food whole instead of chewing, but that just may be a little boy issue b/c i knew kids in my daycare that did that. Obviously not a swallowing issue..

I wouldn't worry about it and go with the flow of you and your child.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
kimnlogan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably what he is referring to is a sensory issue. Babies who are not introduced to different textures and such can develop an oral aversion or a swallowing aversion. My oldest son had a gastric tube for feeding when he was an infant due to a medical condition. Because he was not fed by mouth he developed an aversion. He was given a pacifier and he would usually put things in his mouth but he wouldn't swallow them. At 11 he is still quite particular about textures in his mouth. Some babies that aren't given different textures and such won't even allow things in their mouth. Many times this happens because they have never had any oral feedings or because they have had 'bad' oral stimulation (ie lots of medical intervention such and as endotracheal tube when on a ventilator as a baby). For the most part babies who are EBF long term probably do fine. Especially if they are putting toys and such in their mouths. I can definitely see though where it could pose a problem for certain babies... especially if going longer than a year... most babies naturally WANT to eat food by then and holding that off might interfere with their abillty to adjust to it later. As long as you are paying attention to your child's cues he/she should do fine. A speech therapist would be able to give you much more info on this too.
kimnlogan is offline   Reply With Quote