Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Freezing Spaghetti Sauce

I made a large batch of homemade spaghetti sauce for the first time and need to freeze some of it. This is the first time I have needed to freeze food after cooking it....So, what kind of a container do I put it in? I have some Tupperware, but won't it discolor the plastic? Right now it is in the pot I cooked it in the fridge....What about a Ziploc bag? Any other options? The only glass I have with a lid is a large baking dish, but I will only need a couple of servings at a time. Also, how long will it last?

I know this probably seems like a silly question, but for some reason I can't decide on the best way to do this...

Advertisement

ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Freezing Spaghetti Sauce

I have some silicone muffin cups.. I freeze my sauce in those and then pop them out and put them into gallon sized freezer bags, that was I can only defrost what we will use I think it thaws quicker that way and also is better for not taking up so much storage space

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
savingbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

^^^ That's a great idea! I don't have any silicone cupcake molds, so I just use either a plastic container or ziploc bags myself. With the tupperware containers: if the sauce is already cold and you don't reheat the sauce in the container it will cut down on the staining. Also, if it does stain, you can put strips of newsprint and water in the container to take out most of it (and any residual smell, too.) (You'd have to let it soak for a little while, of course.)
savingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardandolaluna View Post
I have some silicone muffin cups.. I freeze my sauce in those and then pop them out and put them into gallon sized freezer bags, that was I can only defrost what we will use I think it thaws quicker that way and also is better for not taking up so much storage space
Oh, that is a great idea! I am planning on doing this a lot, so I think it will be a good investment for me since I will only need individual servings at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingbaby View Post
^^^ That's a great idea! I don't have any silicone cupcake molds, so I just use either a plastic container or ziploc bags myself. With the tupperware containers: if the sauce is already cold and you don't reheat the sauce in the container it will cut down on the staining. Also, if it does stain, you can put strips of newsprint and water in the container to take out most of it (and any residual smell, too.) (You'd have to let it soak for a little while, of course.)
Thanks for the tip about the newsprint! I had never heard about that!
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

I've used zip lock bags and they work fine (not the best thing of course since it's plastic but it does work).