Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much do you spend at the grocery store each week?

Usually between $65-100 per week, most weeks around $85. That is for DH, Myself and my 22 mo old.

Advertisement

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
bether
Registered Users

I shop every two weeks. I try to keep it under $150. This includes all household items as well.

We usually eat breakfast for supper once a week. Eggs and hashbrowns, pancakes, french toast, etc.
bether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
seahawk
Registered Users

In the winter we spend about $80-100 a week, including all household supplies. In the summer we spend $50-100 a month. I can't wait for gardening season!!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
AcesGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We spend about $250 every other week. I have a family of 5. Though we do get WIC.
I plan out all my meals 2 weeks at a time.
AcesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We spend about $65-75 a week for three of us. This month it's been more than that due to some really good sales on high-end specialty items and I've done lots of stocking up, but that's our average. We do as much gardening and preserving as our 40-square-foot balcony will allow and in the summer it does make a difference.

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
sarahw/3boys
Registered Users

My Mood:

We spend about $85/week for 5 of us (5 yr old, 2 yr old, 9 months old).
sarahw/3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
slwat7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw/3boys View Post
We spend about $85/week for 5 of us (5 yr old, 2 yr old, 9 months old).

That is about exactly what we do! I have a 4.5yo, 2.5yo and 1yo...so it's the five of us. Sometimes I will go a little above that if there is a good sale on meat and then I will spend less the next week.

This is a very easy and super cheap recipe

Beef and rice skillet

1lb gound beef or turkey
1 med onion chopped
3 tsp ground beef bouillon or 3 cubes beef bouillon
1 tsp dry mustard, optional
1 cup white rice
2.5 cups water

Brown beef and onion until cooked through. Drain any fat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and cook for 15-20 minutes until rice is soft and fluffy.

Sometimes I add frozen peas or corn at that last 5 min of cooking. Or I use taco seasoning instead of the bouillon and add a can of black beans and top with shredded cheese. So yummy!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
misstinytoes
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Anywhere between $70-$110/week depending on if I clip coupons/follow sales and how well I organize our meals for the week. As an example I totally didn't plan out meals before I went today and ended up spending $130 dollars. Eek. Also, once or twice a month we try to take a trip to the discount/ bent and dent grocery store and stock up on stuff there.

Lately a crowd favorite has been Ground Turkey and black bean Quesadillas:

1 lb ground turkey/beef or use 1lb chicken
1 can of black beans
1 small can of chopped green chiles (these are super mild, not spicy at all)
and any type of seasoning you would like for your meat (I use a little chili powder, garlic powder and salt)
Shredded Cheese
Tortillas
and any condiments you like (sour cream, salsa, etc)

I brown the ground turkey and add seasonings, then add the green chilis and black beans. Then heat up a skillet with a little bit of oil. Add your tortilla and a couple spoonfuls of the meat/bean/chile mixture, top with a little cheese and fold over the tortilla in the center. Let it cook for a minute then flip it over and brown the otherside of the tortilla. Cut into four pieces and voila! Sometimes I serve this with spanish rice
Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are usually in the $150-$175 range (depending on if we have gone to Trader Joe's or not) every other week. Sometimes we go again in between there for milk but I'm trying to do without if we can. Our fave around here is this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html
I cut the recipe in half and sub regular oats for the bread crumbs and it is so super yummy!! I usually make mashed potatoes or baked potatoes and a veggie like broccoli on the side. We just had it again today! Also- I think that it would freeze well as leftovers if you wanted to make the whole thing. I usually just use a 1-1.5 lb container of ground turkey and it feeds the 3 of us for 2-3 meals.

2 other faves and regulars around here are from DS:
White Chicken Chili (scroll to Post #7) http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598224&highlight=white+chicken+ch ili
Red beans and rice (scroll to post #10)
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249894&highlight=New+Orleans+Red+ Beans+Rice
Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
mbeeman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been trying to meal plan, 2 weeks at a time, and it JUST started to pay off. I am a veggie and sometimes when I cook with meat Subs., it adds up. We were spending about $300 every other week. But last time we got 2 weeks of meals for $150. I hope to keep that up. My fave recipes are vegan. I have an awesome stuffed bell pepper recipe, Vegan mac and cheese, Vegan Chili, and a Ziti Casserole that is awesome.
Molly: homebirthing,breastfeeding, cosleeping, babywearing, non-circ'ing, selective vaccinating, organic eating, crunchy as can be, Navy wife to David and attached momma to Charlie Roo Archer Man and Olwyn Coe
mbeeman is offline   Reply With Quote