Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: At my whits end with daughter who has ADD and ODD

Originally Posted by jessd32003 View Post
Thanks for the advice mama....I've heard a lot about altering their diets as part of treatment. I've also read recently that omega 3's are good as well. Do you have any experience with whether or not that helps?
YES YES YES!!!! Get the Omega 3's! My four year old is ADHD, SPD, etc etc and it makes such an enormous difference in him its just amazing. He takes the Nordic Naturals Junior Omega 3-6-9, its a lemon flavored chewable. I looks just like a vitamin E capsule. We actually didn't realize how much of a help it was until about 3 weeks ago when he ran out of them and I forgot to buy more for a week. He became completely unmanageable, he was running around, screaming, jumping all over the place, it seriously looked like I had an IV of straight sugar running through him at all times. His teacher even asked me what happened to him b/c he wasn't listening in class at all and he's usually pretty good. It took about a week of him being back on them but he's back to "normal" again and listening and can actually sit still for a minute or two . Totally go for it though, I can't sing the praises of that stuff enough.

Eva DF- Dennis and mommy to Van Julio (7), Ian Alexandro (3) and Ela Lynden 6/16
*Eva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yeah !!! We love Nordic Naturals!
I am so happy to hear your story, Eve. It really sounds similar to what we have experienced. I am a strong believer in Omega 3s!
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

um-hi DD. you will be me later in life! i was never the easy child. and i feel really sorry for you.

1-check for food allergies/sensitivites
2-sports sports sports anything
3-let her run with anythng she is good at and DON'T HOLD HER BACK!
4-don't force special ed-unless there are other LD issues it's isn't going to do much but make her feel more isolated
5-let her have her own world. i was plugged into my walkman from 7th-12th grade and totally think that was one of the most important things i owned.
6-don't fight. it won't do anything but elcalte her. you 2 need to have a adult level sit down and have her be involved.
7-8 is a ridiculously akward age for parents-maybe look at your own discipline tactics and see if they are in need of age related revision.
8-don't separate her from friends. ADD kids are tough to socialize, so encouage, but don't push.
9-realize that you have a long and sometimes ugly road ahead, but she just might turn out ok as an adult. i did.

read "you mean i'm not lazy, crazy or stupid" and "get out of my life, but first will you take me and cheryl to the mall"
Mommy to 3 pirates, FT IT student, WOH wife to my darling Vince. We are a thrifty, outdoorsy, DIY for most everything family. We are also a beautifully imperfect family...and love it.
jks06457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I also echo the sentiments of Omegas. My son is only 2, but I was diagnosed with ADHD and I definitely see a lot of me in him. We had a lot of bumps in the road over the last year. We use Coromega, which is an orange flavored pudding like shooter. He loves it. I noticed a difference the first day.

The other thing I would say and I SWEAR by is no preservatives/artificial colors if possible. At the very least cut out artificial colors. I know the studies on this are limited, but there was twice where my son accidentally got a taste of something with HFCS's and red dye and he was insane for two days.

Also, get a really good probiotic (we use Natren, it's expensive, but worth it). We used it daily for about 2 months and now are on maintenance 2-3 times a week). If you eat a lot of processed foods, she may have a build up of bad yeast in her intestinal tract and this will also help her to feel better and focus more. This was another thing that we started using and noticed small differences the first day. My son is a completely different kid now.

Good luck, Mama. I remember the struggles as a kid.
Statia - Wife to a man that has the patience of a saint. Mama to a very cheeky, funny and exhausting little boy - "the Mini" born 3/5/07. and a very spirited, stubborn, feisty girl born 5/18/09
gromit0299 is offline   Reply With Quote