Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
cecil
Registered Users

If you could have anything...

Hi mamas, I am part of a local WHAM group and we are looking to "diversify" out of just cloth diapering support and into elimination communication. We already have some split pants in the works and those things that look like a big scrunchie to hold up a prefold (what are those called?) but we are wondering if there is anything missing from what is currently available. It seems as though ECers use a lot of traditional cloth diaper supplies that might not be ideal and it seems like some better more affordable products should be out there. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
lexmas
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you could have anything...

You know what I don't *think* is made by anyone is an insert that can hold one pee, kind of a "one wet" diaper that you don't have to fold...if that makes any sense. The EC store might have made them in the past, and they do sell inserts (they're doublers, really) but they only fit in the smallest covers...they're not long enough or wide enough for a normal cover. I know we had a big discussion about something like that over on MDC, and I know a bunch of people just make their own by cutting up prefolds, and we use the cheapy gerber "burp cloth" diapers for that purpose, but it would be nice to have something that didn't have to be re-folded if it comes out of the cover when you're offering a potty op...I would think it wouldn't be a drying issue since it needs to only be absorbant enough for one pee. I hope that makes any sense!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tiny undies and trainers. DD is 6 mo old, and there's nothing on the market that will fit her (unless you include 0-3 mo decorative diaper covers and they're not tight enough around her thighs). I've made her a few and plan to make several more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil View Post
Hi mamas, I am part of a local WHAM group and we are looking to "diversify" out of just cloth diapering support and into elimination communication. We already have some split pants in the works and those things that look like a big scrunchie to hold up a prefold (what are those called?) but we are wondering if there is anything missing from what is currently available. It seems as though ECers use a lot of traditional cloth diaper supplies that might not be ideal and it seems like some better more affordable products should be out there. Any thoughts?
wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
PsyckoPrincess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
You know what I don't *think* is made by anyone is an insert that can hold one pee, kind of a "one wet" diaper that you don't have to fold...if that makes any sense. The EC store might have made them in the past, and they do sell inserts (they're doublers, really) but they only fit in the smallest covers...they're not long enough or wide enough for a normal cover. I know we had a big discussion about something like that over on MDC, and I know a bunch of people just make their own by cutting up prefolds, and we use the cheapy gerber "burp cloth" diapers for that purpose, but it would be nice to have something that didn't have to be re-folded if it comes out of the cover when you're offering a potty op...I would think it wouldn't be a drying issue since it needs to only be absorbant enough for one pee. I hope that makes any sense!
You're talkin about contour diapers mama But yeah I agree with you! I've lately had the idea to just cut my old pf's into contours so I can stop trifolding - it's pain in the BUTT when you're on the go, or one0-handed trying to hold down a squirmy LO But good thick inserts yes... Just buy/make contours. OR, for example, I cut old bath towels into .. oh say, 5x10" pieces, and serged them 4 layers thick. Voila, inserts! I'm going to make some more though that have the shape like the contours... they hold pee... AND in a pinch, you can flip it around so the dry side is in front and they can have another go at it (well... for boys... hm. lol) Ok, that's my two cents on that.

I also agree that smaller sizes are a must! I was SO happy to find Snap-EZ cause they have a 1T... and my DS is a BIG boy, we're going into 2T snap-EZ's now and he'd 8 mo, but yes, there's very little on the market in trainers for small babies!! You'd have a good corner there.....
Christ-following, EC'd, circ'd but non-vacc'd, ERF'd, crunchy, tattooed, organic & green, plant-based single SAHM , to my 100% natural-birthed DS lil herbivore boy! 6/19/08! Visit us! http://herbivoreadventures.com/
PsyckoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
HybridVigor
Registered Users

I was lucky to have a huge baby because we got sick of disposables AND the fuss of undoing cloth diapers to rush him to the toilet, so we bought Gerber training pants in 18 months size. He was around 5 months old when we switched over (20 lbs or so).

Of course Gerber underwear aren't the best or most absorbent or most cute, but they were the most readily accessible, cheapest, and quickest to get off of him to get to the toilet on time.

Tiny undies and trainers, the nicer kinds, would have been nice . . . but underwear in general is more conducive, IMO, to ECing.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
lexmas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyckoPrincess View Post
You're talkin about contour diapers mama But yeah I agree with you! I've lately had the idea to just cut my old pf's into contours so I can stop trifolding - it's pain in the BUTT when you're on the go, or one0-handed trying to hold down a squirmy LO But good thick inserts yes... Just buy/make contours. OR, for example, I cut old bath towels into .. oh say, 5x10" pieces, and serged them 4 layers thick. Voila, inserts! I'm going to make some more though that have the shape like the contours... they hold pee... AND in a pinch, you can flip it around so the dry side is in front and they can have another go at it (well... for boys... hm. lol) Ok, that's my two cents on that.
Lol, yes just like contours, just thinner because I find not carrying around the bulk of "real" diapers to be part of the joy of EC-ing. I tried to make some, and well, I'm bad at that.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
kristy1129
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tiny Undies/Trainers would be nice. There are some WAHM's that make them now, but not a ton.

I plan on making some inserts out of bamboo fleece...and maybe bamboo velour since that will let them still feel wet.

My DS is pretty little...6 months and 15 pounds but he can wear Gerber (2T?) trainers. They aren't perfect and the rise is too tall, but it works okay. I dyed some blue and plan on adding a strip of fleece to the outside front so that it makes them a little more absorbent for when it needs to be.

Trade your products for my Product Photography? My Store!
I run coops on my yahoo group! Ecojarz, Notions, Frontier, Melissa&Doug, etc...
kristy1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
lexmas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy1129 View Post
My DS is pretty little...6 months and 15 pounds but he can wear Gerber (2T?) trainers. They aren't perfect and the rise is too tall, but it works okay. I dyed some blue and plan on adding a strip of fleece to the outside front so that it makes them a little more absorbent for when it needs to be.
Oh yeah, this too, DS started wearing 2T undies (they're smaller than the trainers, in my experience) while he still wore nb and 0-3 month clothes. They're much smaller than you think they would be, especially if you shrink them in your washer/dryer.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
jtaylor379
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
GMD is starting to make contours out of prefolds. They could be a real EC solution for the quick change

Cheers,
Jessica
Old 03-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have EC'd 2 daughters and had to make everything my self. here's what i "require"
tiny undies
tiny trainers
EC belt
split crotch pants
babylegs
pee pads(the one pee pad that goes in a cover or undies)
piddle pad for stroller, swing, car seat(no flaming it has been approved by multiple car seat techs)
wool mattress cover

now...most of this stuff i have not used on my second daughter, we just let her be naked with babylegs but its good to have for going out and such. like i said, i make and offer all these items so i dont need to buy them, but there is a demand. i get probably a dozen orders a month for EC items
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote