Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Returning borrowed clothes with lots of wear & tear

A friend lent us a bunch of 2T clothing, which dd used and then outgrew, so I am now ready to return it to my friend. Some of the clothing is really showing its wear and dd did put some stains in some items. One very cute knit sweater has some unravelling at the seams. What's the etiquette here? Do I apologize for the worn condition of the clothing? Offer to replace some of the stained or damaged items? Just go ahead and replace them without saying anything? I did already buy one bib to replace one that totally ripped, btw.

Some more background - my friend now has a second baby who will be in a size 2T soon but he's a boy and unlikely to wear some of the clothes. I don't know if she's planning to have another but we're not very close so I wouldn't ask.

Thanks, I appreciate any input!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
rvela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Returning borrowed clothes with lots of wear & tear

Honestly, I'd take out the items that are not in wearable condition anymore. And let her know which ones you took out. I'm sure she'll understand. Maybe you could head to a local consignment store and add a few pieces as replacements?
rvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

If I lent a 2 year old clothing I wouldn't expect it back! Just take out the stuff that is obviosly stained and whatever. i am sure she will understand.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just take out the items that are no longer useable and let her know which ones were ruined. I doubt she'll be upset about it and if she is you can always replace a couple items that are the most damaged. I have been kinda swapping some clothes with my BIL's GF because she has 2 boys and I have one so we've kinda gone in a back and forth thing, some of her stuff some of mine, and there were a few items that didn't make it back on both ends. If you lend someone baby clothes you can't expect them back in perfect condition. Babies are messy and crazy and clothes get worn out after they've been worn for so long.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Kismet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took out anything too worn and added in all my cute stuff I had bought assuming that someday they might have another baby boy and they did, so now they are wearing my boys and their old boys clothing that is in good shape.

Check out felpies for cute goodies!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Sakari
Registered Users

i wouldn't buy replacements, personally, if you don't know they are having another girl, you might end up buying clothes that will never get worn. I'd just apologize and give them all back - maybe offer money for the replacements... or just stick an envolope with a couple dollars in it, in the box of clothes for them to find later. always a nice surprise

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I would let her know but wouldn't worry about it too much. I know when I lend out clothes that even if I want them returned I don't expect them to be in the same condition, kids are hard on clothes and I wouldn't lend them out if I didn't want them to be used.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
jessc82
Registered Users
seller

I'd let her know about the condition of the clothes and just ask what she wants back... BTW, shout advanced works WONDERS on old set in stains.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly if someone lends you clothing for your child they should expect it to get used and possible ruined in the process. Unless it is a special outfit for a one time outing. I wouldn't expect a friend to replace anything. I think you should send all the clothes back and make sure to tell her thanks and that there are some things showing their age and leave it at that. Maybe bake her something as thanks?

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvela View Post
Honestly, I'd take out the items that are not in wearable condition anymore. And let her know which ones you took out. I'm sure she'll understand. Maybe you could head to a local consignment store and add a few pieces as replacements?
and I would buy consignment replacements in the gender of the child she is having next in that size

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote