Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

Re: At what age do you start baby cereal?

It was a good bit after 6 months but not sure on the specific age.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Most peds say 4-6 months. Dom didn't start until 6 months and I'll hold out that long at least this time. It makes them seem grown up. LOL
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

I have a rant on this subject I was at the health dept today for WIc, and they were telling me that I HAD to start her on rice cereal at 4 monthes, veggies at 5 monthes, and fruit at 6 monthes. I hate how they treat me at the Health Dept anyways, they ALWAYS act like just b/c I'm not rich, I dont know how to care for my child, and they never just give advise or opinions, its always "it has to be done this way" They make me so mad! Sorry to hijack!
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, there are people who don't know at ALL how to care for their children and I'm sure they run into it at the WIC clinics where there are quite a few underpriviledged or young families. They think what they're doing is helping, but they don't account for the families that may fit one or both of those categories and actually KNOWS what they're doing. Just like they list the question about eating ice chips with eating paint... I always answer yes to eating ice chips and get a wierd look.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I generally introduce it about 4 mos...but if she isn't ready to really eat it, then try again in a week!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmcfar View Post
Whenever your baby seems ready. For my current DD, she will be 6 mos on the 14 and I started her on solids about a week or so ago. She didn't seem ready before then but she has been reaching for my food and making chewing/lip smacking noises when I am eating so I knew she wanted to try foods. With one of my sons he was around 8 mos or so before he started solids...he just didn't have the interest and was satisfied with bfing only. So, every babe is different.

I totally agree Levi just started at 5months, he is 21lbs!! He was chewing when we ate and smacking his lips together, so to me that was a sign. He only gets organic rice cereal before bed, and he still BF's on demand.. works for us! I think you just know when your baby is ready
Old 11-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really don't think age is a big factor. Whenever the baby is ready. That could be 3 months for some babies and not until 8 or 9 months for other babies.

My son started at 4 months, maybe 4.5. He had reflux though and the docs had been telling me to give it to him since he was about a month old, but I knew he wasn't ready then. At 4.5 months he LOVED it and did great. He didn't start anything else until a month later, 5 months. And it was only bananas, which he had a reaction to so we didn't try anything else until 5.5 months. Now at 8 months he does cereal, fruits (still no bananas) and veggies well. Can't handle anything chunky at all though. It'll be a while.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #18
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We didn't do any foods with ds1 except maybe a small bite of banana until he was over 9 months old. He never acted interested and I don't like all that mushy baby food mess. He never ate baby cereals. Ds2 we started a bit earlier (still after 6 months) because he is a big guy and was always acting hungry. I started him on avacados, he didn't really take to food till he was more like 10 months old though. Even now BM is the biggest part of his diet and he nurses 12+ times as day. He will be one on Friday
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We waited till almost 7m. It took me from 6-7m to get myself psyched up to introduce something other than BM to DD.
She showed no signs of readiness, other than being able to sit up unsupported. Could care less if we ate right in front of her.
She gagged and threw up anything I gave her (even super watered-down w/ BM) but after reintroducing a week later, she's usually open to it.
With the support of our ped, we're intro. foods 1x/week at most and starting w/ the least allergenic foods. At almost 9m, DD eats. We started w/ rice cereal, then avocado, butternut squash, oatmeal, carrots, pear, peas & apple. She hates most of the above--only likes plain things and makes terrible faces w/ anything w/ flavor. She just figured out how to eat from the mesh feeder this week and will eat avocado or banana thru it (tho it constipates her so she only gets banana 1x/wk.) We're also letting her toy w/ a sippy cup of water this week--she's getting a few sucks out, but then doesn't know how to swallow it.
Food time is more like play time for her and, while she'll eat huge spoonfuls from MIL, she doesn't want food from me--just BM. FINE w/ me!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranbutterfly View Post
I have a rant on this subject I was at the health dept today for WIc, and they were telling me that I HAD to start her on rice cereal at 4 monthes, veggies at 5 monthes, and fruit at 6 monthes. I hate how they treat me at the Health Dept anyways, they ALWAYS act like just b/c I'm not rich, I dont know how to care for my child, and they never just give advise or opinions, its always "it has to be done this way" They make me so mad! Sorry to hijack!
I've gotten off off WIC before even though we qualified because of this. It really bugs me when they give out misinformation as fact (you have to wean from the breast at 12 mos. or they will have oral health problems, you have to vax, bf babies need to be given bottles of water from birth so they can get flouride, all bf babies need iron sups....those are just a few "facts" I've received from WIC off the top of my head) I loved the "deer in the headlights" look I got from the WIC lady when I didn't fill in any of the bubbles on one of her health questionnaire questions. It asked how many times a week we went out to eat and there was no zero or we don't eat out option. When she asked about it, I told her, "If my income is low enough to qualify for WIC what makes you think I waste what little money we do have on going out to eat?" I guess it never occurred to her that some people consider going out to eat to be a luxury.

Sorry to continue the thread hijack!

To the OP, we've just gotten to feeding solids everyday and she's 7 months this weekend. The ped said we could start solids if we wanted at 4 mos and then at 6 mos when I told him we've offered solids but she's not really into them yet, he just said that they like them to start solids around 6 mos and dropped the subject. I agree with everyone else, it's not about the age it's the readiness and willingness of the child.

HTH

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote