Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #21
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age do you start baby cereal?

I didn't feed Lillie cereal until a week before she was 6 mo. I was planning on waiting till she was 6 mo, and a week before she started waking up at 1AM (she was sleeping through the night) for an extra feeding and decided it was time to start cereal. Now Levi I started him at 4 mo, but dr. suggested since he wasn't sleeping through the night. It didn't help, and with Lillie they told me to just keep nursing even though she seemed interested in eating, because they said the nutritional value isn't there like with BM so I from now on I will wait until they absolutely have to have more night feedings due to hunger.

Advertisement

Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **

Last edited by mother4JC; 11-29-2006 at 09:52 PM.
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #22
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they were 5 months, we did it once for pics and then decided it was just too messy and to wait until they could self feed.
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #23
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Emily was between 3-4 months because she had HORRIBLE reflux, so that helped a little. Jack we didn't start until 6 months and Noah was 7 months.

My Ped reccomends waiting until at least 6 months. There has been a lot of research done and there is a significant link between food allergies/childhood obesity and starting solids too early.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #24
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

I just read something by Dr. Newman that said you don't HAVE to have cereal be the first food. In fact, there's no "magic" first food (of course, there are a few foods you wait on b/c of allergies, etc.). That completely surprised me. I thought you had to feed cereal first, etc.

We are going to wait until after the holidays to start solids (various reasons), at which point Katie will be 7 mos. Should we try to see if she can self-feed small pieces, or will she need pureed foods? She already tries to put everything in her mouth.
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
Hootemcboob
Registered Users

My Mood:

We didn't even let DS taste solids till 6 months. There isn't a magical age but their intestines are still open (for lack of better word) and they should really only have breastmilk until later. Let your DC lead the way on solids. Mine didn't want to eat solids till 9 months. I never did feed cereal because IMO it's worthless as a food.
Hootemcboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #26
2Boys1Girl4Me
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest started at 4 months because my ped told me to and I didn't know any better. By the time I had my 2nd DS, I knew that it was often better to wait a little longer and both my 2nd DS and my DD started solids around 7 months. My DS2 did eat infant cereal but my DD couldn't tolerate the rice cereal and didn't really care for the others so we pretty much skipped it and just went onto other foods for her.

I don't think there's a magic age-every baby is different and they'll be ready at different times.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #27
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was recommended if she is eating 36oz. in a day (hard to tell if she's BF, I know) and STILL hungry, it might be time to start.

Go with your gut, mama. You know your baby better than anyone. DD#1 was EBF for 10 months, DD#2 started cereal at 4 months, and we've now added prunes, adding sweet potatoes next week. But she is also HUGE for her age!

ETA: Everything except the cereal is homemade.

Last edited by daisyprincess98; 12-01-2006 at 10:40 AM.
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #28
babiesabove
Registered Users
seller

We NEVER did baby cereal. We start solids when they start grabbing for food off our plate. (Usually about 7 or 8 months). But, even then we start with something that has more nutritional value. Cereal is just a filler, and doesn't offer much in the way of healthy stuff. I'm a carb addict, so am trying to minimize DD's carbs for now.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #29
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

we started at 5 months, ds has reflux and it has helped some.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 AM   #30
benjason
Registered Users
seller

We didn't start with cereal until 6 months. I started my older son earlier (5 months) but my younger son seems to do much better with solids since he started later.