Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #301
aranel7's Avatar
aranel7
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 7,214
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdi View Post
Jenn--I'm copying that recipe. I never knew it could be so easy.
Di, it is SOOO easy. I never knew it could be easy either because growing up, the only sauce we had was made ALL DAY LONG on Sunday in the biggest pot we owned, and it took no less than an hour long trip to the store, hours in the kitchen and many dirty pans and bowls in the sink. Let's just say . . . my dad doesn't know how to cook small When I started living with DH and he has the same tastes in food as I do, I learned how to cook a quick marinara for 2 and now it is a staple in my weekly menu. It is so nice because it doesn't take THAT long to prepare (if you need to cut the time down even more you can use garlic powder or onion powder) and you can put it on a little ahead of time and forget about it.

In the summer I have been known to make it not easy by substituting canned tomato products for real tomatoes that I core, peel and crush myself, but that is a labor of love and more about my satisfaction as a chef than anything.

Advertisement

__________________
Jennifer single mama to Howie (8/8/06) and Juliana (11/28/07)

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #302
luvmykeikis's Avatar
luvmykeikis
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,839
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

LOL I knew Jenn's wouldn't come out of a jar.
__________________
Mama to 2 Little Boys
luvmykeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #303
mommyshanti's Avatar
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 7,703
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel7 View Post
Di, it is SOOO easy. I never knew it could be easy either because growing up, the only sauce we had was made ALL DAY LONG on Sunday in the biggest pot we owned, and it took no less than an hour long trip to the store, hours in the kitchen and many dirty pans and bowls in the sink. Let's just say . . . my dad doesn't know how to cook small When I started living with DH and he has the same tastes in food as I do, I learned how to cook a quick marinara for 2 and now it is a staple in my weekly menu. It is so nice because it doesn't take THAT long to prepare (if you need to cut the time down even more you can use garlic powder or onion powder) and you can put it on a little ahead of time and forget about it.

In the summer I have been known to make it not easy by substituting canned tomato products for real tomatoes that I core, peel and crush myself, but that is a labor of love and more about my satisfaction as a chef than anything.
as i was gonna ask if u gardened
sounds soo nice i kill every plant i try to grow
honeys mom is a pro but on the other coast
__________________
Maya mom to 4 and one more otw
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #304
aranel7's Avatar
aranel7
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 7,214
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykeikis View Post
LOL I knew Jenn's wouldn't come out of a jar.
I use jarred when I'm making eggplant parm. I'm already going to the trouble of frying all that eggplant and my kitchen is already a shambles, so I don't mind cutting corners then. I use Classico 4 cheese when I need a jar.

That's my dirty little secret though.
__________________
Jennifer single mama to Howie (8/8/06) and Juliana (11/28/07)

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #305
mrsdi's Avatar
mrsdi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,735
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel7 View Post
Di, it is SOOO easy. I never knew it could be easy either because growing up, the only sauce we had was made ALL DAY LONG on Sunday in the biggest pot we owned, and it took no less than an hour long trip to the store, hours in the kitchen and many dirty pans and bowls in the sink. Let's just say . . . my dad doesn't know how to cook small When I started living with DH and he has the same tastes in food as I do, I learned how to cook a quick marinara for 2 and now it is a staple in my weekly menu. It is so nice because it doesn't take THAT long to prepare (if you need to cut the time down even more you can use garlic powder or onion powder) and you can put it on a little ahead of time and forget about it.

In the summer I have been known to make it not easy by substituting canned tomato products for real tomatoes that I core, peel and crush myself, but that is a labor of love and more about my satisfaction as a chef than anything.
Sounds like my mom's typical day of cooking sauce. She almost fell over the first time I told her that I cook mine in a crock pot.
Our neighbor grows tomatoes, and I have to say...there's nothing like a fresh from the vine tomato for cooking. I am no chef, but can totally tell the difference on the palate.
__________________
Diana , SAHM to C (3.08) and wife to M

mrsdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #306
aranel7's Avatar
aranel7
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 7,214
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdi View Post
Sounds like my mom's typical day of cooking sauce. She almost fell over the first time I told her that I cook mine in a crock pot.
Our neighbor grows tomatoes, and I have to say...there's nothing like a fresh from the vine tomato for cooking. I am no chef, but can totally tell the difference on the palate.
When I used to live with my sister's boyfriend (long story but no, we never dated) we killed it in the kitchen in the summers. I came in with a bag full of tomatoes and fresh herbs and he brought some potatoes and flour and 6 or 7 hours later we had hand made gnocchis with sauce from my own garden. The difference is palatable for sure.

Those were the days when I could spend however much time I wanted cooking whatever I wanted
__________________
Jennifer single mama to Howie (8/8/06) and Juliana (11/28/07)

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #307
amyrenee's Avatar
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,094
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Good evening everyone! My Mom and I just finished dinner ... yes... at 10 pm hahaa
__________________
Amy- Yoga lovin' , booby enthusiast , attatched Mama to a beautiful little girl named Eva
amyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #308
westlysbride's Avatar
westlysbride
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 825
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykeikis View Post
Hi Esther!

So what does everyone put in their spaghetti sauce. Here is mine, Prego heart smart mushroom, prego organic mushroom, can of mushrooms, ground turkey, and turkey sausage.
Megs. sounds so yummy. The shelves around here are becoming very bare. I've been putting off the dreaded grocery shopping trip. So last night I decided to 'make' sauce with what I had on hand. We ate it... but it was not very good at all!

My favorite jarred is actually the sauce from Aldi. I'm sure it is very unhealthy but I love it. And for .99 you can't go wrong.

If I have the right ingredients I homemade. It is pretty much Jenn's recipe but I like to use fresh basil. yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdi View Post
Sounds like my mom's typical day of cooking sauce. She almost fell over the first time I told her that I cook mine in a crock pot.
Our neighbor grows tomatoes, and I have to say...there's nothing like a fresh from the vine tomato for cooking. I am no chef, but can totally tell the difference on the palate.
I agree 100%. What is with the 'plastic' tasting store tomatoes
__________________
~Esther~
Mom to Anthony Logan David and Luke
bride to Westly
westlysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #309
westlysbride's Avatar
westlysbride
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 825
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel7 View Post
When I used to live with my sister's boyfriend (long story but no, we never dated) we killed it in the kitchen in the summers. I came in with a bag full of tomatoes and fresh herbs and he brought some potatoes and flour and 6 or 7 hours later we had hand made gnocchis with sauce from my own garden. The difference is palatable for sure.

Those were the days when I could spend however much time I wanted cooking whatever I wanted
All I can say is
__________________
~Esther~
Mom to Anthony Logan David and Luke
bride to Westly
westlysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #310
mommy2roo's Avatar
mommy2roo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 864
My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

I am sooo hungry with all this yummy talk.
__________________
Danielle, SAHM to Kendall 11/06 and Karmen 12/08
mommy2roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.