Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #301
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdi View Post
Jenn--I'm copying that recipe. I never knew it could be so easy.
Di, it is SOOO easy. I never knew it could be easy either because growing up, the only sauce we had was made ALL DAY LONG on Sunday in the biggest pot we owned, and it took no less than an hour long trip to the store, hours in the kitchen and many dirty pans and bowls in the sink. Let's just say . . . my dad doesn't know how to cook small When I started living with DH and he has the same tastes in food as I do, I learned how to cook a quick marinara for 2 and now it is a staple in my weekly menu. It is so nice because it doesn't take THAT long to prepare (if you need to cut the time down even more you can use garlic powder or onion powder) and you can put it on a little ahead of time and forget about it.

In the summer I have been known to make it not easy by substituting canned tomato products for real tomatoes that I core, peel and crush myself, but that is a labor of love and more about my satisfaction as a chef than anything.

Advertisement

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #302
luvmykeikis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL I knew Jenn's wouldn't come out of a jar.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #303
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel7 View Post
Di, it is SOOO easy. I never knew it could be easy either because growing up, the only sauce we had was made ALL DAY LONG on Sunday in the biggest pot we owned, and it took no less than an hour long trip to the store, hours in the kitchen and many dirty pans and bowls in the sink. Let's just say . . . my dad doesn't know how to cook small When I started living with DH and he has the same tastes in food as I do, I learned how to cook a quick marinara for 2 and now it is a staple in my weekly menu. It is so nice because it doesn't take THAT long to prepare (if you need to cut the time down even more you can use garlic powder or onion powder) and you can put it on a little ahead of time and forget about it.

In the summer I have been known to make it not easy by substituting canned tomato products for real tomatoes that I core, peel and crush myself, but that is a labor of love and more about my satisfaction as a chef than anything.
as i was gonna ask if u gardened
sounds soo nice i kill every plant i try to grow
honeys mom is a pro but on the other coast
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #304
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykeikis View Post
LOL I knew Jenn's wouldn't come out of a jar.
I use jarred when I'm making eggplant parm. I'm already going to the trouble of frying all that eggplant and my kitchen is already a shambles, so I don't mind cutting corners then. I use Classico 4 cheese when I need a jar.

That's my dirty little secret though.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #305
mrsdi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Sounds like my mom's typical day of cooking sauce. She almost fell over the first time I told her that I cook mine in a crock pot.
Our neighbor grows tomatoes, and I have to say...there's nothing like a fresh from the vine tomato for cooking. I am no chef, but can totally tell the difference on the palate.

mrsdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #306
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Sounds like my mom's typical day of cooking sauce. She almost fell over the first time I told her that I cook mine in a crock pot.
Our neighbor grows tomatoes, and I have to say...there's nothing like a fresh from the vine tomato for cooking. I am no chef, but can totally tell the difference on the palate.
When I used to live with my sister's boyfriend (long story but no, we never dated) we killed it in the kitchen in the summers. I came in with a bag full of tomatoes and fresh herbs and he brought some potatoes and flour and 6 or 7 hours later we had hand made gnocchis with sauce from my own garden. The difference is palatable for sure.

Those were the days when I could spend however much time I wanted cooking whatever I wanted

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #307
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good evening everyone! My Mom and I just finished dinner ... yes... at 10 pm hahaa
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #308
westlysbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykeikis View Post
Hi Esther!

So what does everyone put in their spaghetti sauce. Here is mine, Prego heart smart mushroom, prego organic mushroom, can of mushrooms, ground turkey, and turkey sausage.
Megs. sounds so yummy. The shelves around here are becoming very bare. I've been putting off the dreaded grocery shopping trip. So last night I decided to 'make' sauce with what I had on hand. We ate it... but it was not very good at all!

My favorite jarred is actually the sauce from Aldi. I'm sure it is very unhealthy but I love it. And for .99 you can't go wrong.

If I have the right ingredients I homemade. It is pretty much Jenn's recipe but I like to use fresh basil. yummy!

Quote:
I agree 100%. What is with the 'plastic' tasting store tomatoes
westlysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #309
westlysbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
When I used to live with my sister's boyfriend (long story but no, we never dated) we killed it in the kitchen in the summers. I came in with a bag full of tomatoes and fresh herbs and he brought some potatoes and flour and 6 or 7 hours later we had hand made gnocchis with sauce from my own garden. The difference is palatable for sure.

Those were the days when I could spend however much time I wanted cooking whatever I wanted
All I can say is
westlysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #310
mommy2roo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sooo hungry with all this yummy talk.