Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
brother whose bad behavior influences the other

i have two little boys- one just turned 3 and one is 20 months. they are good little guys most of the time, but now that i have a newborn, i've really noticed that they feed off of each others negative behavior. they aren't doing anything too horrible, but getting into mischief and laughing about it, making messes and thinking it's funny, etc. i'm starting to feel like i don't have control over them. with nursing and tending to the new baby, does anyone have tips on how to prevent them from banding together to cause chaos around here ?

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Kismet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: brother whose bad behavior influences the other

My spirited and adventurous five year old has taught my much more complecant 2 year old all kinds of neat things. I get kinda bummed actually because by nature Quinlan would probably listen better to me if he didn't see his brother have such a hard time doing it... I guess as he gets older he'll notice that it's not worth "getting in trouble" though to be like his brother... I hope.

We don't have a third but I wonder if they aren't feeling a little jealous. i dont' think it's anything you are doing obviously but maybe a story time when you nurse or special toys?? They are still pretty little but a good heart to heart talk might help about how it's really hard for mama to feed the baby or tend to the baby when they are getting into mischeif... remarkable sometimes kids understand when they are being "stressful."

Good luck!

Check out felpies for cute goodies!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
KobeeJacknGradysMama
Lovin' My Baby Boys
seller

My Mood:

it's been chaos at our house we had a 6yo a 2yo and a newborn and i have discoverd there was not much i could do to stop the chaos. i've just taken it all in stride and tell myself "someday you will miss this, someday you will miss this" then clean up all the kix that have been thrown accorss the room
Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. All attempts on my part have been unsuccessful. But they sure are cute. Sometimes.
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I don't have any advice but will be watching this thread because I have a 3 year old a 19month old and am due with #3 in 5 weeks. I'm sending sanity vibes your way!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
boopina
Registered Users

My Mood:

my two conspire together all the time
my DS is 3 soon to be 4, and my DD just turned 2.
add 7yoSD to the mix every other weekend and theres some fun times around here man.
Good luck and i agree with KobeeJacknGradysMama completely

Lovin my hubby Dan since 8-14-03
boopina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
dkyle220
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeeJacknGradysMama View Post
it's been chaos at our house we had a 6yo a 2yo and a newborn and i have discoverd there was not much i could do to stop the chaos. i've just taken it all in stride and tell myself "someday you will miss this, someday you will miss this" then clean up all the kix that have been thrown accorss the room
You had me laughing, but it is so true. I do the same thing... I have to tell myself that I WILL miss picking up the lucky charms minus the marshmalllows off of the floor... I WILL miss digging toy cars out of the broiler drawer on the oven.... I WILL miss telling you two to stop "flying" off of the bunkbed....

To be honest, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the newborn. I don't have one, and my boys (just turned 2 and just turning 4) band together to make chaos. Brothers will be brothers. You would think that it is usually the younger one copying bad behavior from the older old.... that is not always the case. The little one is just as capable of starting it himself. The other one, whichever one it may be, usually joins in the fun. My daughters do it too, they just aren't as wild. They're more sneaky. Do they stick up for each other too? Encourage their bond... but when they're being naughty, make sure to punish BOTH of them, not just the oldest.