Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vax & military question

we were lucky and our ped on base didn't give us any grief! the hospital that we delivered at did though! they tried to tell us that since we had tricare- tricare required it for us to leave the hospital which was bs..... i thought since our civilian hospital gave us a load of crap that the base would be awful but he was really cool.
i think it just depends on your dr... but to answer your question, you or your children are not required to do anything with the miliary. only the ad personel...

Advertisement

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeater View Post
Ack, the only thing about the religious waver is I figure I can't use it since the shots he's gotten are on his record. And the people I know who really don't vax for religious reasons, don't vax from birth.

Thanks for all the replies!
It does not matter! You DO NOT have to vaccinate your child. You do not even have to take your child into their well child clinic appointments.

There is no law that enforces this or say you have to do it because you are a military dependant. If you do not want to vaccinate your child. don't do it!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

Well, dh is military, my oldest kids have some vaxes, my youngest is not vaxed at all and we've been on an overseas tour for 3 years now and we're staying overseas for our next tour. So no, the military can not make you, as a dependent, do anything. Vaccines are in no way required, even to go overseas (but they are strongly reccomended esp. in some areas but most of those area are places where family cannot follow anyways).

We had a religious exemption when we lived in the states and no one can question your religion, esp. the military because they are federal employees. (Btw, a religious exemption covers you even if you are an atheist. We are not church people or a part of any organized religion but we could still claim a religious exemption. Philosophical was not an option in state we were in or I would have done that.)

We've travelled around the globe, dh's been deployed several times to the Middle East (what we do as dependents doesn't even come into play when he's deployed. When he was receiving the anthrax vaxes and smallpox vax for deployment, he did try to stay away from us though but he would have done that whether we vaxed or not because those vaccines aren't available to us as dependents anyways) and other than a few doctors up on their high horse (which you can find those in the civilian world as well) we've had no problems with not vaxing or discontinuing vaxes for the kids and me.

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to vax, it is your choice no matter what you or dh do for a living. Yes, some daycares and other private businesses will refuse you for not vaxing but if they are that ignorant about vaxes and that firm about knowing what's best for YOUR child, who knows what else they will try to force you to do? But that's just my opinion, if they can't accept the fact that vaxes are my choice, they aren't worthy of my patronage. But again, that's just the way I see it.

Cheers,

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your dh is in the military not you or your child. They cant make you do anything. I think it depends on the dr though on if they give you grief or not. But its your child your decision.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM   #16
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

they can't make you - they can only force the active duty member.

worst case is that you may not be able to go overseas to a country that requires certain vaccines, but that's it.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #17
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What countries require what vaxs?? We have not vaxed youngest DS , but were going to because we thought it was required...SO, we are probably going to go to England or Japan late next year what vaxs (if any) do they require??

Last edited by deejahd; 11-30-2006 at 08:33 AM.
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #18
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejahd View Post
What countries require what vacs?? We have not vac's youngest DS , but were going to because we thought it was required...SO, we are probably going to go to England or Japan late next year what vac's (if any) do they require??
Well, we live in Japan and we went to England last year to visit my MIL and we're moving to England next summer. We don't vax and do not intend to vax and it has not been a problem. The only required vaxes I'm aware of (but keep in mind I haven't really researched it thoroughly) are countries that require proof of yellow fever vax, usually central and South American countries, some African and Middle Eastern countries and maybe some Southeast Asian countries but again I'm by no means an expert on that. (My dh is vaxed for yellow fever but that's to keep him worldwide deployable in a heart beat) But I do know from experience that we've never been stopped in a Japanese or British airport (or anywhere else) and asked to show proof of vaccination.

HTH

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #19
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblossom79 View Post
Well, dh is military, my oldest kids have some vaxes, my youngest is not vaxed at all and we've been on an overseas tour for 3 years now and we're staying overseas for our next tour. So no, the military can not make you, as a dependent, do anything. Vaccines are in no way required, even to go overseas (but they are strongly reccomended esp. in some areas but most of those area are places where family cannot follow anyways).

We had a religious exemption when we lived in the states and no one can question your religion, esp. the military because they are federal employees. (Btw, a religious exemption covers you even if you are an atheist. We are not church people or a part of any organized religion but we could still claim a religious exemption. Philosophical was not an option in state we were in or I would have done that.)

We've travelled around the globe, dh's been deployed several times to the Middle East (what we do as dependents doesn't even come into play when he's deployed. When he was receiving the anthrax vaxes and smallpox vax for deployment, he did try to stay away from us though but he would have done that whether we vaxed or not because those vaccines aren't available to us as dependents anyways) and other than a few doctors up on their high horse (which you can find those in the civilian world as well) we've had no problems with not vaxing or discontinuing vaxes for the kids and me.

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to vax, it is your choice no matter what you or dh do for a living. Yes, some daycares and other private businesses will refuse you for not vaxing but if they are that ignorant about vaxes and that firm about knowing what's best for YOUR child, who knows what else they will try to force you to do? But that's just my opinion, if they can't accept the fact that vaxes are my choice, they aren't worthy of my patronage. But again, that's just the way I see it.

Cheers,

Jeni

thanks for this reply! very informative.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #20
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

it's typically third world countries that you'd have to worry about. Other areas that are considered "western world", it's not required to have vaxes.

Don't worry about having had other shots prior and now you want to either delay or stop. It's no one else's business. However, be very prepared, to stand up for your child in a heart beat at the docs office. I've had a doc actually come find me before leaving her office to "inform" me in front of everyone in the waiting room that I won't be permitted to be an FCC provider if I don't give my child the chicken pox vax. And in my stubborn ways, and just as loudly, told her "Well, when they stop making the chicken pox vaccine out of aborted babies, then maybe I'll think about it. Until then, i don't want the DNA of another child being injected into my baby." And turned and walked out.

Don't feel threatened. Just have your ducks lined up and be ready for anything they throw at you. And for a list of what shots are needed, you can find that information on Tricare. It has a list of countries that permit families to be command sponsored (IOW's go with the sponsor) so it itemizes what shots are necessary (needed). You can go from there as to figuring out which to give/ not give.

But bottom line... it's totally up to you. They will toss alot of "you can't do this or that" for not vaxing but that's just to threaten. Good luck!