Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
davinciite
Registered Users

Half or Full Day Kindergarten??

I need to register my ds for kindergarten next week and I'm struggling with whether or not to do full day vs. half day (both 5 days/wk). If he goes full day there won't be any time at all for play dates or any activities like gymnastics or swimming. If he goes half day I wonder if he'll be at a disadvantage academically when he starts first grade. I do think 5 is young for a 7 hr day.

Any thoughts? What have you decided for your lo and would you have made a different decision if you were to do it again?

Thanks

Advertisement

davinciite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Re: Half or Full Day Kindergarten??

nak

i kept my dd home and homeschooled this year because full day was the only schedule offered public or private (in my area). i feel that full day isn't developmentally appropriate.

if you are worried about bring behind you could always supplement at home. but i doubt he would be behind....1/2 of what happens during pschool is transitioning from one activity to the next kwim?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:

Our oldest went from 2 years of half day pre-school, 5 days a week, to now he is in K from 8:30am - 2:30pm. He loves it, and isn't too tired or what not from a "full" day.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

We only have 1 /2 day K here and I'm happy about it. I think it's alot to expect of a 5 or 6 yr. old to be in school for a full day every day. With that said, some things to consider would be the activities in the full day schedule. Do they have any free play? Ample snacks or breaks to move around? I also think it depends on you child's personality. What is his attention span? Has he had experience with preschool or daycare so K won't be such a shock? GL in making your decision. I'll be watching to see some pros for all-day K.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

If I had a choice it would DEFINITELY be half day.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would choose half day FOR SURE. I want my ds to have a relaxed childhood. 5 is so young to be in a classroom all day. I am sure he CAN do it, but is it best for him? He has years and years of full days in a classroom ahead of him.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son goes to one of the only schools in the area that has full day kindergarten. It's a charter school for children with high functioning autism. He is thriving there! At the beginning of the school year, they had a scheduled rest time where they all had nap mats out and such. They didn't keep that for too long because all the kids were fine w/o it. They do have lunch and snack time.

It's weird having him gone all day, but it's been so good for him. Every Friday here is an early out day where they get out two hours earlier than the rest of the days.

I am thinking that perhaps school in general, though, is too long for kids. My son doesn't have much homework yet, being as he's only in kindergarten, but just getting in the small amount of homework after school that he needs to is hard to do some nights. I'm not sure how it's going to go as he gets older and has more activities and more homework.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Wendylady
Registered Users

My oldest went to full day kindergarten(only option here) but he'd already been going to half day preschool and other programs since he was 3 so it seemed a logical step for him at that age. If he hadn't been in those programs I don't know that I'd have been comfortable with full day, and perhaps have home schooled him last year.

If your child is going straight from no form of school at all to kindergarten I'd also say half day. Otherwise I think it depends on his personality and maturity level.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
melissa5
Registered Users
seller

There was no choice for me in Ontario. DD goes full days but only tues, thurs and every other friday. She catches the bus at 8:20 and it drops her off at 3:20. She loves going to school and wishes that she could go everyday. If it was an option I would defiantly let her go everyday. She was only 4 1/2 when she started and never even been in preschool before.
I also think that it depends on your child. My DD is very mature and independet. If she was very clingy or something it might have gone differently.
melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We were in Colorado the first half of the school year and my son went to half day kindergarten, though he wasn't there very long I did see improvements. We moved to TX a few weeks back and he is now all day and he is so tired at the end of the day BUT they do do alot more, they have alot more activities and seem to get to more during theday but since it's been a short time it's really hard to say if he's doing any better as ar as learning with being all day