Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
shorezee
Registered Users

My Mood:
WAHM's.....How do you do it???

I have been a SAHM for almost 4yrs..I have two boys, 3.5 and 1 yrs old. I began a home based jewelry business about 2yrs ago. I do a lot of customs, weddings and shows..including a farmers market every saturday for 5mos of the year. My DH is a shift worker and does 12hrs alternating days and nights.

I love my family, and don't regret the choice I made to stay at home with my kids, but I am getting tired!!! I can't seem to find enough hours in the day to give my kids what they need, keep the house and still have energy to focus on my side business.

So I guess I'm wondering how all you other WAHM's do it....especially with young children. Where do you find the time? How do you organize your day?

I feel like I'm failing because I can't seem to balance it all. I really need my jewelry business, I don't want to give it up, but it's hard to sit and do jewelry after the kids go to bed when the house is a mess!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: WAHM's.....How do you do it???

I only have 1 lo, but that will change in july. DH works 12 hour days m-f and a 6 hour day on saturdays.

I have a pretty structured schedule that I try to stick to as much as possible. It helps tremendously! DD is a good kid too which helps. I also dont allow her to "rule" my time. I play with her, change her, etc... but I have set "work" times (mainly during naps during the week), but also I have her do 30-60 minutes of independent play a day. She didnt like it at first, but I put her in her playroom (completely baby proofed) for a few minutes at a time and gradually worked up to a decent stretch of time once she was old enough. Now some days she goes and bangs on the gate to her play room so I will let her in after lunch because she knows thats when she plays in her playroom.

My day generally runs like this:

6am - DH is out the door
7am - we get up and I get dressed, dd stays in her pj's until bath
7:30am, breakfast...dd eats in front of the TV() and I hop on the computer to check emails/DS (or if I am feeling REALLY tired...I get back into bed (the master bedroom is right off the living room/dining room and I can actually SEE dd from my bed if I put the highchair in the right spot, lol)
8:00am quick clean up of the kitchen while dd plays
8:30am - I play with dd
9:00am - dd takes a bath and I do *something* while sitting in the bathroom (sometimes I crochet, sometimes I label bottles, sometimes I package sample packs, etc.. just depends on what needs to be done)
9:30 - dd out of the tub and dressed for the day.
10am - dd takes her first nap and I check email/ds, and do some work (package orders, make cleaners, apply for local fairs/fests, whatever needs to be done that day)
10:45 am - dd gets up and we play until lunch
11:30am - I make lunch while dd plays
12:00am - we eat lunch together
12:30 am - dd goes to independant play in the playroom, I work (and check DS, lol)
1:00-1:30pm (whenever dd decides she is "done" in the playroom, lol) we play
2:00pm - dd takes another nap, while I work (and check DS....notice a pattern? lol)
3:00- dd gets up
3:00-5:00pm we either run errands or play depending on the day
5:00pm I check email/DS
5:30 - I start dinner while dd plays (or is on my hip, lol)
6:30 - DH is home and takes over dd...we eat
7:15pm - bedtime for dd
7:30pm on - I work for a few hours (how long depends on what I have to do), crochet or watch TV or am on DS
10:00pm - bed for me and DH

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!

Last edited by BNC; 02-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

wow, paperprincess really has it going on! I run my own daycare during the day so I consider myself a WAHM. My dh currently works two jobs and I see him maybe for 30 minutes 5 days out of the week but I do have his help on the weekend. Anyway, I agree that it is all about scheduling and teaching your kids to be as independent as they can be for their age. I have a 14 month old at home and another due in August so I know how it is to be so exhausted at the end of the day, only to wake up the next morning and do it all over again. I would definitely brainstorm on ways to simplify and structure your day. I have been teaching my daughter from day one to do as much as she can for herself. She picks up toys, throws away her trash, feeds herself at her own little table and has a fairly strict nap and bedtime. I put her in the bed and that's it. No exceptions for extra drinks, extra hugs, etc. Might seem a little rigid for some people but it works for us. This is the best scenario I can come up with so she doesn't have to go somewhere outside the home for daycare. Both of your kids are old enough to clean up after themselves (or at least help) and entertain themselves while you do chores. Also, consider what other projects or duties you have that aren't necessities and you can forgo for awhile. I hope you get things ironed out soon! I think it is great that you have a passion and are able to make some money on the side with it. Is there anyone you can train to help you? They get the free lessons and practice and you get the free labor? I would totally do it if a friend offered the same to me!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
wow, paperprincess really has it going on! I run my own daycare during the day so I consider myself a WAHM. My dh currently works two jobs and I see him maybe for 30 minutes 5 days out of the week but I do have his help on the weekend. Anyway, I agree that it is all about scheduling and teaching your kids to be as independent as they can be for their age. I have a 14 month old at home and another due in August so I know how it is to be so exhausted at the end of the day, only to wake up the next morning and do it all over again. I would definitely brainstorm on ways to simplify and structure your day. I have been teaching my daughter from day one to do as much as she can for herself. She picks up toys, throws away her trash, feeds herself at her own little table and has a fairly strict nap and bedtime. I put her in the bed and that's it. No exceptions for extra drinks, extra hugs, etc. Might seem a little rigid for some people but it works for us. This is the best scenario I can come up with so she doesn't have to go somewhere outside the home for daycare. Both of your kids are old enough to clean up after themselves (or at least help) and entertain themselves while you do chores. Also, consider what other projects or duties you have that aren't necessities and you can forgo for awhile. I hope you get things ironed out soon! I think it is great that you have a passion and are able to make some money on the side with it. Is there anyone you can train to help you? They get the free lessons and practice and you get the free labor? I would totally do it if a friend offered the same to me!
to the bolded part...did I mention that is my IDEAL schedule??? Usually I can get close to it, but not all the time!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

honestly?? i cant, and thats one reason i am closing. i either do the work, and the house and kids get neglected, or the house and kids are taken care of and the work gets neglected. and i am going batty trying to balance the two. maybe if i made stuff that didnt take me so long to do it would be easier, but there are what seems like 5 million steps to make one diaper, and when i add up how long it takes to make one dipe, including cutting, its just too long... i think about 3 hours, and thats IF i get no interruptions and IF i have to put touchtape vs snaps on. and well..
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just do it. Sometimes everything gets done, most of the time it doesn't and we deal with that.

To me, planning too much is what makes me fail. We just take things as they come.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
londyn's mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Right now my job is 5 classes taken through an online classroom. So if I don't make time class doesn't get done. Which for us means sometimes Nic makes dinner and on the weekends we do the 'real' cleaning, so I don't stress (as much) if it gets messy on the weekdays.
londyn's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
shorezee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the input everyone
I think I find it so hard to organize my day because of the shift. When he's working, I find myself saying "when Steve's off I'm gonna get that done" but then when he is off, something else takes priority. Our house is too small for us now, and that doesn't help, there's more stuff then places to put it so know wonder I feel overwhelmed by clutter all the time!

I think I'm just going to make a plan....first I'm going to purge and prepare for a yard sale in the spring, then I'm going to sit down with his schedule and organize my time around the kids activities and him so that we all get some time. And lastly, I'm going to make him take the kids for a few hours every week. 2 hrs of uninterrupted cleaning...can you imagine!

I'd still like to hear how all you other WAHM's are doing it!