Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #31
bodiejake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just Can't Get Enough --of Wool -- Saturday

morning!! I am exhausted!! DD slept a total of 2 hours last night. Darn those shots!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

The gusset stitches. You pic them up through existing stitches... Is that where your confused? Your really making new stitches. I pick them up in the last couple stitches on each side of the gusset. Then slide them on my needles. However many I need (between four and eight usually) and then knit around the leg. When I get to those picked up loops I knit them like a regular knit stich. This part is usually kind of hard but after that first row it gets easier... Does that help any?

I kitchner the gusset last. I end up with holes when I do it first. But everyone has a different method that works for them.

Last edited by Shaineinok; 02-21-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #33
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh & don't mind the orientation/underexposure - I didn't flip them around before uploading.

Gusset before picking up stitches (not the best knitting in my life, LOL!)

Starting to pick up stitches here

Continuing to pick up the stitches

Same shot with the inside showing

With the needle removed so you can see how they pick up

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #34
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually LOVE picking up stitches. LOL! And grafting is nice too. I hate short rows though.

GalleryBlogFan Page!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #35
devholan
knit wit
seller

My Mood:

I think I'm getting it. I'm pretty sure my problem is that I have both sides of the gusset on humongo stitch holders so even trying to work around them is impossible. I think I see where I can pick up stitches but I need to get the ends of the stitch holders out of the way. I'll just replace with scrap yarn and see if that helps.

I know I'm going to feel so silly once this is done.

Heather, poor both of you! Did Isabelle want to nurse all night or just didn't sleep?

eta: Myla, I got it, I think. Just have to get these stitch holders out of the way.

Come see our new store at BLUE GRASS BABY

Last edited by devholan; 02-21-2009 at 07:39 AM.
devholan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #36
ladybenz
following my heart to the art

My Mood:

heather--those sleepless nights suck.

Dev, it might help to close up the gusset first. the more "hardware" is hanging out in an area, the more confusing it gets.

y'all my hubby is driving me mad this morning. He cleaned the kitchen after dinner last night--sweet, right? Except that I'd already done most of the work, so he just wiped down the counters.

So, I'm cooking breakfast for the boys and he comes in and makes some snarky remark about me making a mess of "his clean kitchen"

I could not help myself. I snarked back. I said "I'm supposed to starve our kids because you picked up a sponge?"

Why do I rise to the bait? Why don't I just ignore it when he says stuff like that?
ladybenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #37
MaggieSqrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaineinok View Post
The gusset stitches. You pic them up through existing stitches... Is that where your confused? Your really making new stitches. I pick them up in the last couple stitches on each side of the gusset. Then slide them on my needles. However many I need (between four and eight usually) and then knit around the leg. When I get to those picked up loops I knit them like a regular knit stich. This part is usually kind of hard but after that first row it gets easier... Does that help any?

I kitchner the gusset last. I end up with holes when I do it first. But everyone has a different method that works for them.
Hi again! Back after some french toast and coffee - yum!

Shaine and the PPs have explained it so well. That's exactly it. You can definitely close the gusset first, if it helps you to visualize where to pick up stitches. For me, I do better doing the kitchener last (like Shaine does), but everyone's different Like one of the PP's said, the whole idea is to close that circle that is going to be the leg. As long as you're doing that by making new stiches perpendicular to the gusset, you'll be fine If you do end up w/ a couple of little holes, you can darn them up at the end - no problem. Mine got better and better over the years - the first couple of pairs were scary for sure They might not be absolutely perfect on the first try, but I bet they'll look gorgeous!

Good luck, mama!

"Learn to Dye Wool Yarn Kit" and undyed yarn available, too!
MaggieSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #38
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Dev ditch the stitch holders. Take a needle with some extra yarn and run through those stitches instead. Way easier to work around that way. I detest regular stitch holders...

I forgot to add run the yarn through and when you get to the end of your gusset just tie a nice bow and tuck it to the side.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #39
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiejake View Post
morning!! I am exhausted!! DD slept a total of 2 hours last night. Darn those shots!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stand no sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devholan View Post
I think I'm getting it. I'm pretty sure my problem is that I have both sides of the gusset on humongo stitch holders so even trying to work around them is impossible. I think I see where I can pick up stitches but I need to get the ends of the stitch holders out of the way. I'll just replace with scrap yarn and see if that helps.

I know I'm going to feel so silly once this is done.

Heather, poor both of you! Did Isabelle want to nurse all night or just didn't sleep?

eta: Myla, I got it, I think. Just have to get these stitch holders out of the way.
Awesome! I agree that the huge stitch holders are probably the issue & getting the way of what you need to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybenz View Post
heather--those sleepless nights suck.

Dev, it might help to close up the gusset first. the more "hardware" is hanging out in an area, the more confusing it gets.

y'all my hubby is driving me mad this morning. He cleaned the kitchen after dinner last night--sweet, right? Except that I'd already done most of the work, so he just wiped down the counters.

So, I'm cooking breakfast for the boys and he comes in and makes some snarky remark about me making a mess of "his clean kitchen"

I could not help myself. I snarked back. I said "I'm supposed to starve our kids because you picked up a sponge?"

Why do I rise to the bait? Why don't I just ignore it when he says stuff like that?
I always snap back. Seriously, it's my kitchen. When I ask Ed to clean up after dinner all he does is stack things, mostly un-rinsed into the sink. His mother never let him touch things growing up, so I blame her for being a traditionalist. He seriously doesn't know better. Love my MIL, hate the way that they've raised their kids.

On a side note, if I had been a woman of the 40-50-60s - I would have been placed in jail for how outspoken I am IRL.

GalleryBlogFan Page!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #40
devholan
knit wit
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Maggie. And thanks to all of you. OK, no more gusset talk so I don't kill the thread. I'm closing my legs.

Aimee, sometimes you let so many of the little things go that just one more comes along and it's the last one.

Come see our new store at BLUE GRASS BABY
devholan is offline   Reply With Quote