Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
katt
Registered Users

Re: 5 VAX in one visit?

Yes, but what were those Vax... Usually it isn't just 5 Vaxes it is 5 Shots w/ multiple vaxes... you know 3 in one, 2 in another, 4 in yet another etc...

I'd be looking for a new doc ASAP

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG. 5 shots? Who does that anymore? Seriously, I'm a PNP. I'd never give 5 individual shots to any 2 mo old. Now, we do combo vaxes that contain the 5 (well, it's actually 7) vaxes, but in 3 actually sticks. But, still, I can't imagine allowing a baby that little to get so many sticks. Just makes my heart hurt.
As for the food thing. Holy sheep, the AAP doesn't recommend juice or solids until age 6mos, so that ped is just full of it.
Time to find a new doc, mama.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
crunchymom2.0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SO sorry Mama.. I do not vax my DD2 but did vax my DD1 before I did my research.

If God meant for your LO to have extra vitamins it would be in your breastmilk. Babies have thrived for thousands of years on Breastmilk.
If you took good care of yourself with a healthy diet and vitamins during your pregnancy, your baby has it stored in it's body until 6-8 months just in time to introduce solids where it will get more. That is how it was designed. Going outside in the sun will give your LO Vit. D too.

Why does mainstream healthcare keep scaring these mamas to death. It's a conspiracy I tell you!!! In a world with all the latest in healthcare and technology, we are the sickest we've ever been! Pharmaceuticals making all the money!

Keep Bfing mama and trust your body and your baby!!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

According to the immunization schedules, your baby at 2 months "should" get a shot for:
HepB
Rotovirus (oral I believe)
DTaP (Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis) this is the only one that is combined
Hib (haemophilus influenza type b) there was a shortage on this one I think
PCV (pneumoccocal)
IPV (inactivated polio virus)

So what you got was pretty typical for a fully vaxing situation. Not ALL peds vaccinate on this schedule to a T. Some space them out a bit more. If I am remebering correctly there WAS a hib shortage so some babies missed out on that one for a while. (I know my DD didn't get hers at 15 months as per schedule) The rotovirus one is pretty new, but is oral and a lot of moms opt out of this one unless their baby goes to daycare.

As for the vitamins, solids, juice and all-that is all old school stuff and unnecessary.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
According to the immunization schedules, your baby at 2 months "should" get a shot for:
HepB
Rotovirus (oral I believe)
DTaP (Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis) this is the only one that is combined
Hib (haemophilus influenza type b) there was a shortage on this one I think
PCV (pneumoccocal)
IPV (inactivated polio virus)

So what you got was pretty typical for a fully vaxing situation. Not ALL peds vaccinate on this schedule to a T. Some space them out a bit more. If I am remebering correctly there WAS a hib shortage so some babies missed out on that one for a while. (I know my DD didn't get hers at 15 months as per schedule) The rotovirus one is pretty new, but is oral and a lot of moms opt out of this one unless their baby goes to daycare.

As for the vitamins, solids, juice and all-that is all old school stuff and unnecessary.
That is the schedule, but my Lord, if you are going to do them all, opt for a combo vax and eliminate some of the needles!
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
Jessika
Registered Users

And this is why I absolutely love my doc. He has never pressed for the chicken pox vax for either of my kids (one's in 1st grade and the other's 3). He's always been willing to delay the vaxing or spread it out over a couple of visits. He agrees with me about not forcing anitbiotics on the kiddos just for a minor cold that most docs would be "Well it could be an infection." Well dumb a** if you don't know, I'm not giving antibiotics.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm sorry the military docs are da's as well (I grew up in the military and they tried to tell my mother that she was not going through menopause because she had not lost her period for over a year. She had a radical hysterectomy 9 years prior.) Tricare's a pain, but keep pushing for a differnt doc if you can.

~jess
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i'm not a tricare expert or anything, but i thought you had the choice to switch to civilians at any time if you wished?...as long as you found one that took tricare?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

dd got 5 at 2 months and reacted horribly...she went on a delayed/selective schedule after that. I will never know if her speech delay was caused by that or what long term effects it might have done to her tiny system.

DS is 10 weeks now and is unvaxed.

As far as juice at 4 months? omg...horrible, just horrible.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
braxis03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So now that she has already gotten all those shots, how do you switch to a delayed vax schedule? I was looking at Dr. Sears's website and his schedule, but she already got all in one setting, so how do you go about vaxing with the boosters? she is due at 4 months to get the same sequence of shots. And when I asked if they could only do a couple on one visit and a couple on another, they said they don't usually do that. And that it is better for the child to just do it and get it over with.
We are in Sunny GA, so there isn't any lack for vit D here either!
Oh, and by the way, I love your babylegs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew Crafty Baby View Post
So sorry mama.. this happened with my first son on his first set of shots ONLY! After that I was like no way... just too much going in with such a little body. So I delay now and catch them up on a modified schedule, I never allow more than 3 at a time and that is only when they are 4.

As for vitamins... i have heard the link with vit. D but we are in sunny California so I don't worry about it.

Juice and cereal at 4 months... yikes.. why mention it now and jump the gun. Your LO is still brand new. Think your ped. might have to many basic 'rules' in his belt and isn't really looking at individual babies. Maybe look into another?
braxis03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
braxis03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know can you believe it!! When she came in with 5 needles I was freaking out. I asked if they couldn't put a couple in one seringe. She said no. And then I said, I thought that a couple of them were combo shots, and she said no, they are more effective if they give them individually! It won't happen again, that's for sure!!
Holy sheep is right!! why would I give my little baby juice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
OMG. 5 shots? Who does that anymore? Seriously, I'm a PNP. I'd never give 5 individual shots to any 2 mo old. Now, we do combo vaxes that contain the 5 (well, it's actually 7) vaxes, but in 3 actually sticks. But, still, I can't imagine allowing a baby that little to get so many sticks. Just makes my heart hurt.
As for the food thing. Holy sheep, the AAP doesn't recommend juice or solids until age 6mos, so that ped is just full of it.
Time to find a new doc, mama.
braxis03 is offline   Reply With Quote