Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:
Your baby can Read.

I am watching the infomercial right now. And wanted to ask how many of you have used this and it worked?? If it really does work then that would be amazing.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your baby can Read.

We have theses dvd's. DS loved them and really "got" it. I didnt pop them in as much with dd so I cant comment on her but DS is 4 had when I assessed his verbal and literacy skills he was scoring in the 9-12 year old range. I say they are definately a good investment.
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

We have them, but so far have only used the DVD portion of the kit (not any of the tons of supplemental stuff). There is a LOT of stuff in the box, and I am not sure I will have time to use it all because I am not a SAHM. I might suggest getting the beginner DVD on eBay to see how your child responds to it before spending the $200 on the whole kit. If you do get the whole kit, you can always re-sell the beginner DVD on eBay again. HTH!
SenoraE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My Grandma taught my Aunt to read when she was still in diaper and taking a bottle (It was the early 80's and I was only 7 or 8 so I don't remember her exact age). I clearly remember doing her flashcards with her. There's a book I picked up at the library that teaches how to do this too.

But in the end I decided not to do it b/c a) it didn't do my aunt any value in the long run and b) I'm not really onboard with pushing things outside normal development levels. Kids grow up way too fast these days, imo.

but if you want to learn more, search "teach, baby, read" at your library and you'll likely find the book I'm talking about.
Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I saw a TV show awhile back that followed up on some kids who had done a lot of the flashcard type of thing as babies. Basically, they could show off all kinds of trick stuff as babies, and then as the years went on other kids caught up with them and they just settled into average. I can't see how this would be any different.

Yes, you can probably train your baby to recognize words. I don't see the point. I think at best you're just amusing yourself. At worst, you are pushing way too hard for performance, performance, performance. I would much rather let a baby, and a little kid, PLAY! They have so much more to learn as babies that is so much more important than reading! I want my kids to be exploring, testing, climbing, asking questions, etc.

Also, I think a child is much more likely to have a life-long love of learning, if you let them come to it. Let them play and enjoy babyhood. Then as they get older, PLAY with letters, sounds, all the pre-reading skills. As they start reading for real, encourage them with books that interest them. But pushing them to read more, earlier, better is not doing them any favors -- I think it is likely to make them burn out hard by the time they hit middle school.

Just my opinion!
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
I saw a TV show awhile back that followed up on some kids who had done a lot of the flashcard type of thing as babies. Basically, they could show off all kinds of trick stuff as babies, and then as the years went on other kids caught up with them and they just settled into average. I can't see how this would be any different.

Yes, you can probably train your baby to recognize words. I don't see the point. I think at best you're just amusing yourself. At worst, you are pushing way too hard for performance, performance, performance. I would much rather let a baby, and a little kid, PLAY! They have so much more to learn as babies that is so much more important than reading! I want my kids to be exploring, testing, climbing, asking questions, etc.

Also, I think a child is much more likely to have a life-long love of learning, if you let them come to it. Let them play and enjoy babyhood. Then as they get older, PLAY with letters, sounds, all the pre-reading skills. As they start reading for real, encourage them with books that interest them. But pushing them to read more, earlier, better is not doing them any favors -- I think it is likely to make them burn out hard by the time they hit middle school.

Just my opinion!

ITA!!!

I have a friend who was trying to push me into getting the Baby Can read stuff, but I did a LOT of research on it and I came to the same conclusions. I even read a teacher's comment where this memorization can actually hurt a child's ability to learn phonics.

So I just read to my son every day, and he's developed a love of books. He's 2 and he loves to sit with a book, even if it has no pictures, and pretend to read.

I'm not telling you NOT to get it, just that it really isn't necessary for your child's development. By the time the child is seven, you won't be able to tell the difference between an early reader and a late one.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
stina_t
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH bought this before I even knew anything about it and my 10 month old dd LOVES the DVD. We've been watching the starter DVD for a few weeks now and she knows some of the words. I'm not totally sure if she can read it or if she needs the verbal also. Without action visuals she can recognize clap, arms up and wave.