Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:
How do you keep bread machine bread soft????

I love my bread machine, but it seams that once the bread has cooled its no longer soft and instantly starts to harden, by the next morning its hard as a rock. Does this happen to everyone, or am I doing something wrong???

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you keep bread machine bread soft????

same here! I find that certain recipes will stay softer longer (the "white" bread recipe gets hard, but I have a light "whole wheat" recipe that remains soft), but what I do is remove the bread from the loaf pan while it's still hot and slice it while it's warm. Then I put it in a big resealable plastic bag and keep it in the refrigerator. The other option is I think you can put a piece of orange rind in a sealed bag with the bread which will help keep it moist, but I have not tried that myself.
I think this just happens b/c it's real, fresh bread. Like if you buy bread from a bakery, it will be hard the next day. The packaged breads in the supermarket have stuff in them to keep them soft. They need to have a longer shelf life.

Last edited by sharon_k; 02-22-2009 at 06:25 AM.
sharon_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sounds right. When I used to buy bread in Europe, it would last at most 2-3 days because they don't put the preservatives they do in US storebought bread.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies, I think I'll try preslicing it and putting it in the fridge....
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
esell915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never bake my bread in the bread machine. I dump all the stuff in & then let it go through the first rise. Then when it punches down the dough again, I pull it out of the machine & into a bread pan. I let it rise in the bread pan in the oven with the light turned on just for a bit of warmth. Then I bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 mins. Comes out super soft & my kids can actually eat it for lunch! When I would bake it in the bread machine, it would come out so hard & thick then I would have that hole in the bottom of the loaf from the machine. So half of the loaf would be unusable. I would get so frustrated trying to cut it that I just gave up. The bread just tastes so much better being baked in my oven instead & it forms a nice loaf without much work!

Ask me about custom YYMN slots! - Custom Shorties Slot available Here.
esell915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't. So I just use mine for making pizza dough lol
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

as soon as my bread cools I put it in a large ziplock back and it is good for about 3 days. i'd do it in the oven but i cant find a lrge bread pan!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about if you put it in a Tupperware bowl or something.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by esell915 View Post
I never bake my bread in the bread machine. I dump all the stuff in & then let it go through the first rise. Then when it punches down the dough again, I pull it out of the machine & into a bread pan. I let it rise in the bread pan in the oven with the light turned on just for a bit of warmth. Then I bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 mins. Comes out super soft & my kids can actually eat it for lunch! When I would bake it in the bread machine, it would come out so hard & thick then I would have that hole in the bottom of the loaf from the machine. So half of the loaf would be unusable. I would get so frustrated trying to cut it that I just gave up. The bread just tastes so much better being baked in my oven instead & it forms a nice loaf without much work!

Yeah, I do this too. My machine has a "dough" setting, so I don't have to watch for the rises though. I like it much better this way. I brush a little butter over the hot crust when it comes out of the oven and before I take it out of the pan too. Doing that makes the crust super-soft like the store-brand stuff.

Another plus with doing the dough to oven bake thing is that I've started to make a loaf of bread and then found out we'd have dinner guests or changed dinner plans and made dinner rolls or a french bread loaf instead.

Oh, and for storage you should put it in a bag. The grocery stores in my area actually carry a plastic bag that's bread loaf shaped and sized. Homemade bread doesn't last in my house, so I just recycle those bags when they are empty.

ETA: Also, about breadmaking- ingredients like eggs, dry milk and butter will make a moister loaf that will stay soft. A loaf that relies on oil or margarine to moisten it will last longer due to the lack of perishable ingredients, but get hard and chewy quicker. Try adding olive oil instead of vegtable oil if your recipe calls for oil.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-23-2009 at 12:51 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote