Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

Help me figure out the bedroom!

We have 3 small kids (5 yo, 3 yo, and 21 months) and another due in 3 months. Right now, the 5 yo and 3 yo share a room, and the 21 month old is in the nursery, but we want to get him out of the crib and into a big boy bed in the same room as his siblings, freeing up the nursery for the new baby. This is a transition all our kids have made at this age with no problem, and every night he wants to go to bed with his siblings rather than the crib anyways. The only trouble is, we can't figure out how to fit a 3rd twin bed in their room! We just have their mattresses on the floor (so we don't have to worry about kiddies falling out of bed), and we don't want to move to bunk beds at such a young age. Any suggestions for innovative ways to set up a bedroom with 3 kids? At this point, we are thinking that we will just have all 3 mattresses parallel on the floor pushed right up next to each other, making basically one BIG bed. But what a pain to try to change the sheets or get to kids in the middle of the night if they need attention! Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me figure out the bedroom!

Could you keep the littler one in a toddler bed/crib mattress rather than twin for now to save on space?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
momma B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about a full size/queen bed for 2 of them to share and a twin? Still takes up as much space but probably easier to fit than 3 seperate twins...
Check out my blog: thoughts&photographs
momma B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the toddler bed/crib mattress idea is good! Your kids and mine are about the same age and the "baby" (21 month old) is still on a crib mattress.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I think I would move to bunk beds personally. I would get a twin/full and have the 5 yr old sleep up top and the 2 younger on the bottom. Of you could put all 3 on the bottom, but at least they would have some space in their room.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We switched our girls to bunkbeds last May (4.5yrs & 2.5yrs old). The first month we didn't even get a matress for the top bunk. But then we got a matress a month or 2 later. Eventhough DD1 always said the top was hers, in the end DD#2 is the more confident one. The other thing to be said is we got a "smaller" bunk bed. The upper bunk is 4ft -- DH and I both agreed that this was a transitional piece of furniture to last only about 3 years. Then if bunks are still needed then we'll be getting larger ones.

Erica
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasbaby View Post
Could you keep the littler one in a toddler bed/crib mattress rather than twin for now to save on space?
That's an idea we had not considered. That might make it easier to still fit the dressers in the room.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericak95 View Post
We switched our girls to bunkbeds last May (4.5yrs & 2.5yrs old). The first month we didn't even get a matress for the top bunk. But then we got a matress a month or 2 later. Eventhough DD1 always said the top was hers, in the end DD#2 is the more confident one. The other thing to be said is we got a "smaller" bunk bed. The upper bunk is 4ft -- DH and I both agreed that this was a transitional piece of furniture to last only about 3 years. Then if bunks are still needed then we'll be getting larger ones.

Erica
Where did you find a 4 ft bunk bed? And was it expensive? I would not want to plunk down a whole bunch of money now and then have to buy another bunk set in just a few years.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
I think I would move to bunk beds personally. I would get a twin/full and have the 5 yr old sleep up top and the 2 younger on the bottom. Of you could put all 3 on the bottom, but at least they would have some space in their room.
Do you think they would all actually sleep in the same bed? I don't personally know anyone who does the family bed thing, so I am very interested to hear how it works. My dh really wants to avoid bunk beds at this point and have them all on the same level to promote bonding, I guess. And, realistically, the littlest will likely end up in dd's bed no matter where he starts out the night. LOL.