Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
get this boy off me!!!!

okay seriously I have had more then enough but I can't seem to wean DS...
he loves the boob and will not fall asleep or go back to sleep without it.

DH goes back to work tomorrow for a week then has surgery again and I don't have the strength to keep dealing with DSs refusal to wean and everything else going on.

he is 22 months old but still nurses to fall asleep for bedtime and he wakes up 2 times a night still

I have tried the gradual thing of trying to take it away before he falls asleep... no go
I have tried holding him and rocking him to sleep but as soon as I lay him dowb he wails.

He sleeps with us in the mornings because by 5 am I'm desperate for real sleep and cave and bring him back into my bed to nurse rather then trying to lay with him in his little toddler bed , and most mornings he takes forever to fall deep enough for me to be able to get up and go lay down in MY bed.

If he doesn't wean soon I see a breakdown in my future!

in all honesty I loev that he still wants/needs me but I have been ready to get him off the breast since his first birthday!

Advertisement

MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: get this boy off me!!!!

he takes a cup right? Give him a cup and dont give in. That is what I had to do. YOU need to be in control if you want him weaned. Right now he's the one that seems to be in control!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he drinks out of cup and glasses during the day but refuses at night.. actually he throws them.

I just got him to sleep after an hour of fighting... but no boob. I am wondering how long he will stay asleep though and when he wakes should I give the breast? hmm....

one of the methods we were trying says get them to sleep the nafter they can have it but we never got past the to sleep part.

ohh and DS bangs his head, really hard when mad. anyone else have this problem? he will go to a wall, use the floor or just drop like dead weight onto the floor. I keep thinking the boy is going to give himself a concussion!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
ttmomma
Registered Users
Formerly: ree**23
seller

My Mood:

oh Breana, we have distant twins!! So I understand perfectly what you are dealing with. I'm subbing to get some ideas too...

My lo is only 14-mo so we're not ready to wean yet but it would be nice to get him to sleep for once w/out the boob, and esp. since he is still waking like 4 times a night to eat and won't fall back asleep unless he has a boob in his mouth. If he turns over and fusses, he will start to cry unless I nurse him. I have tried on several occasions to get him back to sleep when I know he didn't wake to eat but for other reasons, and he gets violently mad/angry and has the worse tantrum ever. Even DH is like please just give in and nurse him!!!

I haven't tried a sippy cup yet though...perhaps I'll try that tonight if need to.

Recovering CD addict & momma to DS, who refuses to wear CD's no matter how fluffy

Last edited by ttmomma; 02-25-2009 at 10:44 AM.
ttmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well last night I just held him when he woke the 1st time and he threw a fit but only for 25-30 minutes then fell back to sleep...
after that time he woke again and I was not quite full awake so I caved and gave him boobage
tonight we are going to try same thing.. to sleep w/o , first waking w/o, then after I will give it... if nothing else then just so I still get sleep.

I'm soooooooooo tired, and stressed
Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ummm ... progress ? I got him to sleep tonoght with no boob and it was only 37 minutes (an hour last night) of screaming.. and less headbanging .
but also he had benadryl (vacuum day) and only a 20 minute nap today so I had some help I think
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
nb342
Registered Users

My Mood:

This sounds like me in about 4 months. My son just turned 18 months, and sometimes I just want to scream in the middle of the night when he wakes up. My son will wake up in the middle of the night and scream with impatience up until the moment that he start nursing.

I used to be able to get my husband to give him a bottle of milk at night without a fuss and all was fine, because I didn't have to get up multiple times to nurse. But now, he will only take the milk straight from the tap.

Of course with that came the comfort nursing. Half of the time he sleeps in my bed at night, because I can't get him to let me go, and stay asleep. ARGH, it's so frustrating.

But, good luck to you on the road toward the luxury of a full night's sleep.
nb342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yep feeling this pain myself....Kaitlin is 15 months. good luck, momma!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh my i am not the only one! my ds is 16 months he has always slept with us and the only thing that will get him to go to sleep is the boo-bah. he wakes up anywhere from 4-10 times a night! i feel like he is still a newborn. i know i am just a pacifier for him but he has always refused pacifiers and bottles. he will drink from cups during the day but not at night (and he nurses between 4-10 during the day too) . sometimes he just wakes and nurses for a couple of minutes and sometimes for 20-30min. its driving me crazy!!! i just want a full nights sleep for once or even 4 or 5 hours at once. my dd that is almost 4 would take a bottle as long as it was freshly pumped. (i worked part time when she was little) and she sleept at night for 5-6 hr or more at a time . she weaned herself and was completely weaned at 13 1/2 months but this boy isn't going to let up!!! my dd does now try to get the boo-bah if i'm not careful lol i think its just a game to her but if i would let her she would go for it ! she tells me to squirt it in her hand! and when we did try to get ds to take a bottle if you set it down she would steal it and go hide and drink it. we have tried the whole rocking to sleep thing and he just grabs my shirt and lifts it up and he also will throw himself down and throw a tantrum. we have tried letting him cry for a while and see if he will fall asleep but it doesn't work he will just make himself sick. i have no ideas what to do with this little one. just nurse forever and maybe one day i will get some sleep. good luck to all of you . you have another person that understands what you are going through.
rebeccalynne15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Mommy-to-3-boys
Registered Users

It's really up to you. I know it's hard but if you don't want him to nurse any more then stop nursing! My DS3 is just now 12 mnts but he sleeps till about 5:30 am before I nurse him then he goes back to sleep for a couple of hours. It was hard to train but it didn't really take that long. Just stick it out and don't let nursing be an option. When you are so sleep deprived it is SO easy to just offer the boob because you then know you will get to go back to sleep soon after he is done.....but the solution is NO boob! You seem to be on the right path. Keep it up and it will pay off!
Mommy-to-3-boys is offline   Reply With Quote