View Poll Results: What type of school do you do?
We homeschool via online charter school. 1 1.00%
We homeschool via a curriculum but not a charter school. 12 12.00%
We homeschool using unschooling techniques. 1 1.00%
We attend a public school. 32 32.00%
We attend a private school. 5 5.00%
We attend a physical charter school. 3 3.00%
We use a combination of techniques and/or have different children doing different schooling. 9 9.00%
We do not have a school-aged child. 35 35.00%
Other, because there is always something else, please explain. 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you school?

Poll coming...

So we have always planned on homeschooling. It came up on Facebook a week or so ago, and of course my little sis, who is a public school teacher, had something to say about it.

Most of her arguments were pretty much the ones I've heard before - parents not having a teaching degree, lack of socialization, kids living in a "bubble", etc. But the one that really got me was her accusing me of doing homeschooling because it is "cool." Hmmm, since telling people we are planning on homeschooling I've gotten way more negative comments than positive ones.

But just to be fair, I thought I'd ask and see how "cool" homeschooling really is.

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: How do you school?

LOL. I will be sending the kids to school, probably the public school. It's what I see as working best for our family.

But I am totally supportive of homeschooling. My sister does with her 3 boys and good heavens those kids have very active social lives! They are involved with a homeschool group and get together for school projects and play dates, talent shows, etc. And of course they are also in the usual soccer teams, karate lessons, etc.

I think people who have that objection about socialization are basing it entirely off of their own knee-jerk prejudices and not a bit off of evidence or logic. Which, BTW, is not a real great way for a public school teacher to behave.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

I said that we use a physical charter school. That is not true YET but I already know what school I want to send him too. We do not want to use public school unless we move to a better district.
BeckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't have a school aged child yet, but my eldest DS will be four in April and we plan on homeschooling. I am looking towards a curriculum, but I am not 100% sure yet and haven't really delved into that. We will do just simply workbooks and hands on activities until he is around the age of 5. I don't want to school him too early.

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmmm......so far it is "coolest" to have kids that are not even school-aged.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted public school, but my DD is in a Catholic school, which is not considered a public school, but it isn't private either. Public school was the best voting option though, since it's tuition-free and she leaves the house to go every day lol.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Hmmmm......so far it is "coolest" to have kids that are not even school-aged.
lol. We have 1 inschool. she's in kindergarden. She begged us for over a year to let her go to school, we couldn't afford pre-school and they didn't have the free program here at the school yet (they just started this year for 4 YO's).

I've never really wanted to homeschool anyway (kudo's to those that do), but if she really didn't want to go to a public school, I'd homeschool her.

She does half day here on base. When we get home she'll have full day and have to take a bus. I'm more worried about the education at home, the stuff she is doing in K here is nearly 2nd grade level back home!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Shawna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one in kindergarten in the public school system. My father and brother-in-law are both school teachers and we have had relatives home school... always interesting debates to hear... my daughter is in a smaller school and only has 14 other students in her class... she is thriving right now.... if we hadn't moved into this school district I would have put her probably in the private Christian school.

Ecomom deal from plum district.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Hs'ing isn't cool, it's f'ing awesome!

We use a combination of techniques without strict adherence to any philosophy or book. I think that naysayers end up being almost positive when it comes to actually doing it - it's like someone saying they hate the name Oscar on a kid, but then when little Oscar is born and he's so adorable and sweet...well, there's not much else to say but coo all over him.

I'll post our end of year video here in a few months, but trust me, there's no bubble, lack of socialization, or worry about my degree.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
sonie716
Registered Users

My Mood:

We homeschool, my 5 year old with Christian Light Education and Math-U-see