View Poll Results: What type of school do you do?
We homeschool via online charter school. 1 1.00%
We homeschool via a curriculum but not a charter school. 12 12.00%
We homeschool using unschooling techniques. 1 1.00%
We attend a public school. 32 32.00%
We attend a private school. 5 5.00%
We attend a physical charter school. 3 3.00%
We use a combination of techniques and/or have different children doing different schooling. 9 9.00%
We do not have a school-aged child. 35 35.00%
Other, because there is always something else, please explain. 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
ZooMamaTo3
Registered Users
Formerly: ZooMamaTo2
seller

Re: How do you school?

I voted that we don't have a school aged child yet. However DD will be starting pre-school in the fall (4yo) at the private school where we hope to keep her through most, if not all, of her schooling. We are surrounded by really great public school districts but ours is not up to par. Our decision was also based on knowing that DD is going to need more individualized attention than a teacher with 30 students can give her. We have also looked extensively at homeschooling, just decided that it isn't for us right now. This could all change when second DD is school age though because I am not at all against different methods of schooling for different children.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
Hs'ing isn't cool, it's f'ing awesome!

i have 3 kiddos & the oldest is homeschooled (kindergarten but we started w/a really relaxed preschool curriculum). we it!

socialization is the biggest myth & argument so no worries there--my kids know how to carry a conversation w/all ages & all walks of life.

a bubble? hmm, we get out every day b/c w/homeschooling no time is wasted. we do field trips, go to the library at least twice a week, belong to a homeschooling group, take ymca homeschooling fitness classes so no bubble here.

qualified? never even crossed my mind. who knows your child better than anyone? you of course! not to mention the fact, that i have 3 degrees. i am probably overqualified

overall, do what you feel is best & do not let anyone else shed negative light on your decision!

eta: we use seton as a curriculum but also add other subjects/extras as well--some Waldorf stuff, some art stuff, FIAR, etc.

Last edited by threestraycats; 02-23-2009 at 08:34 AM.
threestraycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
michaelmommy02
Registered Users

My Mood:

i was home schooled at the end of my high school years. it was what i had decided because i wanted to get my classes done to go to the army. with my son we had him in a charter school and it was terrible. we put all the money into his uniforms and then they asked you to donate items each month because they don't charge you to attend and in the end you spend just as much as a private school would have cost. my son was also picked on all the time and his lunch stolen from him and he was getting pushed down and kicked on the playground and the teachers did not seem to care much to stop the problem. we ended up pulling him out and sending him to public school and had no problems since.
michaelmommy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I have one 6th grade homeschooler (K12 virtual charter academy), One in 5th grade in public primary school, and 3 that are not in school yet.

Next year I will have 3 in school. Not sure about where yet. I know my 5 year old will go to public school, but my soon to be 6th and 7th graders are waiting to see if they were accepted to the Arts/Music magnet school, if they are not, then they will Home school through k12 again.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ROFL 'Cool'??? No, no, no... If it were so cool, there wouldn't be so many negative opinions surrounding homeschooling. We certainly don't do it because it's the cool thing to do. We homeschool because our local school district is a joke and ranks as one of the lowest in the state. I worked there and I vowed my kids would NEVER go there.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I would love to put my children in a good private school. I've had issues with the public school system, but I know I can't afford it. DD, however, is only 16mos, so I have a good two years before I even have to register her for public school. It still floors me that I'll be sending her to public school at age 3 - we have junior kindergarten that starts the calendar year that they turn 4, but she's a fall baby, so for the first 6 weeks of school, she'll be 3.

I've considered homeschooling. I like the idea of it - in any classroom setting you run the risk of a child getting lost or slipping through the cracks, but the thing that holds me back is that I'm gifted, which means that I think differently than most people. Not better or worse really, just different, and I'm not sure if I would be an effective teacher for my kids as a result.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So it looks pretty safe to assume that no one homeschools because it is "cool". I swear, that was one of funniest comments I'd "heard" so far. Even so far, homeschoolers only make up about 15% of the voters, whereas public school is 30%. I'd think if it was "cool" more people would be doing it.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
I would love to put my children in a good private school. I've had issues with the public school system, but I know I can't afford it. DD, however, is only 16mos, so I have a good two years before I even have to register her for public school. It still floors me that I'll be sending her to public school at age 3 - we have junior kindergarten that starts the calendar year that they turn 4, but she's a fall baby, so for the first 6 weeks of school, she'll be 3.

I've considered homeschooling. I like the idea of it - in any classroom setting you run the risk of a child getting lost or slipping through the cracks, but the thing that holds me back is that I'm gifted, which means that I think differently than most people. Not better or worse really, just different, and I'm not sure if I would be an effective teacher for my kids as a result.
I'm 'gifted' but have a learning disability. I recognized it in my kids when they were younger and honestly, I am their BEST teacher. My teachers gave up on me in PS when really all I needed was a different approach to learning. I teach in a way that my children understand although it may not be 'traditional'. lol I have to do what I have to do to hold their attention a lot but really, I'm the ONLY one who understands how they think. They're thriving when I was failing in school at their age.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller

I voted other -
Our situation right now is DS1 just turned 5 (so he is school-age). We will be HSing him but just haven't started yet.
I have the curric but just need to get a few things together. I hope to start in the next couple weeks.
We are planning on taking the K year slow - our goal is to be ready for 1st in fall 2010.
Right now, we are going year by year to see how it goes. DH was more comfortable with that agreement at first, but seems to be warming to the idea of HSing a little more.

Swagbucks - Let's earn together!
sonshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
bthane23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted homeschool with curric...but its my own made curric. My oldest is 5 and is Kindergarten. she turned 5 in Jan. We were doing a Pre-K at her request...she adores "school" lol. But she finished it in about 3 months. Since I got pregnant...I have been very sick..so we took Jan and Feb off. We will start in March with K. I chose to do this instead of waiting until August because Im due in August..so I wanted some flexibility then. LOVE that. I dont homeschool because its "cool"...although most hs kids I know are super cool. We hs because our schools here are no good and Im not happy with what they do and do not learn in ps anyway.